Input on most effective butt bathing method?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yramnot

Reaction score
Hi everyone, it's been several years since I made a post here. A year or so ago, I had to rehome my two holland lop rabbits because I was unable to care for them. I recently got them back because the family said they underestimated the work required, and the contract I had them sign obligated them to return the rabbits to me. I'm so glad now that I included that. :X

Upon the arrival of the bunnies, I learned several things about what had been going on with them. Even though the contract I had them sign specified that the ultimate responsibility for the rabbits lay with the parents, they had been leaving the rabbits' care up to their thirteen-year-old daughter. She had not been caring for them adequately, and that was the major reason for returning the rabbits. Although Peter is in good shape, his brother Jack is not. Jack was returned to me overweight, and the parents told me that he'd been to the vet recently. They took him in because he kept getting poop stuck to his bottom. According to them, the vet gave him a clean bill of health aside from being fat and identified the problem as, "just having longer hair than his brother." They gave me a chlorhexidine spray with instructions to brush it onto his butt three to four times a day.

I noticed that Jack hadn't been eating with the great enthusiasm that he used to, and that concerned me. I examined his underbelly during a brushing and was horrified by what I saw. He has a nasty raw urine scald, his penis appears swollen, and his groin is covered in mats caked with urine. Based on the information I was given, I think that he was probably forced to stand in his own waste for an extended period. I gave him a baby aspirin as per the instructions of the House Rabbit Society of Missouri for pain, which helped bring back his appetite.

He is peeing normally and not exhibiting any other signs of urinary tract problems, so I think keeping him clean is adequate to help him heal. However, I'm at a huge loss as to how to clean his bottom most efficiently. I've seen an assortment of recommendations including dry baths, butt baths with water, and other things, but I'm very concerned about over-stressing him. I attempted to gently comb out some of the mats with the conditioning spray, but he isn't tolerating that for obvious reasons. My inquiry is as follows: which bathing method would this community recommend as the fastest and most effective, so I only have to do it to him once?

Last edited:
I fill up the kitchen sink with shallow warm water, just deep enough for bunny's butt to be submerged while I hold his front legs up and he stands upright in the water. Then I slop water around his groin repeatedly to dissolve the poop/pee, and use my fingers to work on the mats. if there are bad ones, get a second person holding a small scissors to cut them off as you find them.

Then lift him off onto a towel, pat dry him the best you can, and put him on the ground to run off and take care of himself. He'll probably hide for 5-10 minutes licking the wet area. Let him come out on his own, and reward him with some veggies.

I cradle my bun in my left arm, face up towards my armpit and hind end supported by my hands and fingers. I place a towel underneath his chin tucked in between my body (to give him something to do while bathing him) and his. I have a kitchen sink that has an adjustable nozzle and I use my right hand to manipulate the knots, urine, poop, skin issues etc while keeping the nozzle directed away from the sore areas so not to cause him too much stress. Keep the temp lukewarm and don't use soap...too harsh for delicate bun bun skin. And if you have a vet nearby, get him a privacy trim. Dry him by squeezing the water out with the towel, try not to rub since this will cause further damage to his skin and will knot his fur. Good luck!

Also, on the disabled rabbit site it says after a butt bath, especially if there is Urine scald to apply A&D moisturizer -- sounds like that could really help your rabbit-- must be a diaper rash ointment kind of thing, Says its in the baby section of most stores.
Here's what it says.
A&D is specifically formulated to provide a protective barrier on the skin to help seal out irritating wetness and allow the skin underneath to heal naturally. Vitamins A and D help to replenish the skin and heal dry, chafed, cracked or irritated skin to give your rabbit some much-needed relief. This ointment leaves our disabled rabbit's skin soft and pink between butt baths. It can be purchased in the baby section of most stores. When shopping for this product, be sure to purchase the original, zinc free ointment only.
*For more information on urine scald and how to treat it (including other products to use), see our Urine Scald section:

Back