Injured rabbit????

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sweetie

Reaction score
I found out last night that my male rabbit is jerking. When I hold him he jerks, when he isn't being held he jerks. He has actually been doing this for a while now. I am thinking that he could be developing seizures, but I am not sure. He is in the same cage as Sweetie, my female rabbit. His jerking is like muscle spasms, but I am not sure if that is it. I got him when he was sick back when he was 10 weeks old, but he has gotten better. He is a year now. Is this jerking normal? Prince is a purebredNetherland Dwarf, he is white with brown eyes.

Please Help. I would like to find out what is wrong, if anything, with Prince, my male Netherland Dwarf.

Thank you in advance!

This is something that really can only be diagnosed by a vet who knows rabbits. I cannot tell by what you are describing whether this is neurological or possibly an injury or even amite infestation

A video would give more info but you need to take him to a rabbit knowledgable vet. Ii would keep him semi -confined in a safe area until this is diagnosed.

I agree that it needs vet attention soon. It could very well be seizures, and you need to determine the cause if possible. Infection, brain damage, and E cuniculi are all possible causes of seizures. Another one is that blue-eyed white rabbits are prone to idiopathic (a word that means they don't know what causes them) seizures.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/seizure.htm

That site has all the possible things that could cause a seizure in rabbits--I'd take it to the vet when you go as well.

I have an appointment next Friday the 13th of November 2009. The vet will call nme if an earlier appointment becomes available.

In the meantime, I have to keep an eye on him and record when it happens and such. If it gets worse then I have to call and get in sooner.

He is doing okay. I have been recording when he has these jerking episodes. I worry that it may be seizures. If it is or whatever it is I will let all of you know. If he needs special care I would like someone to take care of him who can take care of special needs bunnies, or would anyone be willing to help me take care of him if I find out that he needs special care?

I am really scared, I never had a rabbit that would need special care before. I am really scared that it could turn out to be something that could be life threatening.

I will give you all an update after the appointment this Friday at 2:30pm, I will update that night.

Sometimes meds can be given for seizure activity.
Don't worry too much at the moment ; you may find out that whatever you need to do to help him is not as hard as you are imagining.

Good Luck at the appointment !!!

We'll be thinking about you tomorrow.

Thank you so much. I will give you all an update tomorrow night.

He had two jerking episodes one after the other and they lasted only a few seconds.

What medication is out there for seizures for rabbits?

It is just that whatever he has, I hope I am able to help him. He is shaking every morning. I think he has these jerking episodes during the night and they are scaring him.

Well I will let you all know what the vet says tomorrow.

Thank you to all who have replied and gave very good advice.

Sorry I didn't post an update on Prince yesterday, I had a family emergency that I had to get to right away.

Anyway, my Netherland Dwarf is as healthy as he can be. He didn't do any jerking episodes while in the vet's office. The vet was trying to get him to show him the jerking episodes, but Prince did not do it. I have to keep recording when he has them and hopefully next time Prince will show the vet if/when he has to go in again.

Latest posts

Back