Injured Penis

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lhucky

Reaction score
My husband found 1 of our bunnies got injured in his penis. We have no idea what happened. His alone in the porch for his play time last night. We're not sure if a cat did this to him or a rat or he injured himself from jumping from chicken wires. Just last week, a cat from our neighbor came into our home and was tag teamed by our couple bunnies. We saw bloods in the porch early that day, we thought our bunnies had a fight. But found out our neighbors cat were injured.

My Papa just past away. I'm/we are still shocked by his sudden death. Just last week, we were planning to have family outing. There were still a lot of things we haven't done for him. He was so strong... We still needs to send Papa home tomorrow.

Earliest we can send Coffee to vet is on Monday. Right now, we wash his penis with Sub-Q fluids mixed with Hydrogen Peroxide then we put a little bit of Betadine. And a drop of Enrofloxacin. I don't want to leave him in the vet again. The last time my husband had an urgent meeting in his work and cannot send our bunny in the vet, we left our other bunny in the vet overnight, and they never gave him food, because they still says that the bunny needs fasting for operation. Although, we had all our bunnies castrated successfully, the last bunny left overnight at the vet had GI Statis after operation. We needed to Sub-Q and forced feed him until his schedule for the removal of the sutures.

Right now, coffee still have appetite and drinks water. He pees, but we didn't see any poops yet. His bleeding, not sure if it's his pees or just bleeding. He's not in pain, so we don't give him pain meds. His also not in any medication yet as we still don't know what to give him.

My question is, what kind of procedure should we expect from his vet? As we've never have anything like this before. Thank you again so much. Right now, I need to be told what to do or expect. As I'm soo not in the mood for searching over the internet.

His penis is sticking out and bloody all the way inside. We just couldn't take a photo bec he struggles too much

1400352601354.jpg

I wouldn't use hydrogen peroxide on it. Peroxide can affect healthy tissue as well as infected. Peroxide is better used to fight anaerobic bacteria to bring oxygen to a wound that isn't getting oxygen on it's own. (Anaerobic bacteria thrives without air)

I wouldn't put anything but sterilized water/saline on it to clean and then keep it dry. Don't put any betadine or peroxide on it. Both those things will kill healthy tissue and create a larger wound that won't heal. Just keep the rabbit in a really clean environment until you can get to the vet.

Coffee is doing very well... His vet asks us to continue using a drop of Enrofloxacin every other day for 5 days. And give BeneBac for 10 days.

Are those meds that he prescribed and you received from the vet? I'm glad he's doing well.thanks for the update. I need to not read as many of these posts or else I begin to worry

I read posts and then weeks later I remember them and worry and then check up on the posts to see if there is news too.

I'm really happy to hear his penis is better :hearts::)

Yes. They thought that to us when Lhousio, 1 of my bunny had undescended testicle were removed, we were told that aside from taking the antibiotic, it also help heals the wound by dropping a drop of antibiotic in it.

And that is what we did when we can't get coffee to their vet on time. I'm just glad that it worked for him.

Latest posts

Back