Injection gone wrong.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Offspring2099

Reaction score
**ORIGINAL POST**

We give Penny injection every other day. Right behind her neck. Today we did it just like any other day. Nothing went wrong.

Right after the injections she started to act as if she is spooked. Very alert. Heavy breathing.

What's going on? Please help.

*****MAY 25th 08***
We just had another bad injection. Penny got the shot, ran off to the side and started crawling / flopping on the floor, seizure like. Scared the hell out of me. She is better now, but still breathing heavy.

I wonder if we hit the vain this time. Anyone else have experience when a bunny fall to the floor very disoriented and crawls/rolls about?

What kind of injection was it? What kind of meds?

PenicillinG. I know from my army buddies that Penicillin is a painfull shot, but Penny takes them like it's nothing. Maybe we injected a little too far or hit a nerve?

Are you near South Pasadena at all? Can you try taking her to a 24hr vet? There's one in South Pas that's called TLC...

Their information:

TLC Pet Medical Ctr
1412 Huntington dr.
S. Pasadena

626-441-8555

Try calling to see if they have a bun vet there right now...if you think you can get there. They'll give you an estimate before treatment, too.

Oh dear, what's happening? Everthing okay?:cry2

It could be that she is just spooked and nothing else. Hard to say at this point.:?

Please, keep us posted!

Ok...I've called TLC...no bun vet there tonight...but did find a place in Diamond Bar, if you can get to them.

Their info:

Animal Emergency Clinic
938 N. Diamond Bar Blvd.
Diamond Bar 91765

909-861-5737

At first I thought it was an earthquake, cause this is how reacts sometimes to some small quakes. We can't feel them, but she freaks. But nothing today, during that time.

AngelnSnuffy wrote:
Oh dear, what's happening? Everthing okay?:cry2

It could be that she is just spooked and nothing else. Hard to say at this point.:?

Please, keep us posted!

Offspring2099 wrote:
Thanks, I've been there before.

She is better. But still breathing slightly faster then normal. We'll go if she doesn't get any better soon.
Ok...hope she keeps improving. At least you know somewhere you can take her tonight that has a bun vet there (the Diamond Bar place I mentioned). :hug:

Offspring2099 wrote:
PenicillinG. I know from my army buddies that Penicillin is a painfull shot, but Penny takes them like it's nothing. Maybe we injected a little too far or hit a nerve?
I hope Pennie continues to improve!

Thank you for your help.

maherwoman wrote:
Ok...I've called TLC...no bun vet there tonight...but did find a place in Diamond Bar, if you can get to them.

Their info:

Animal Emergency Clinic
938 N. Diamond Bar Blvd.
Diamond Bar 91765

909-861-5737

You're so welcome...anything to help. :)

You're giving it to her as an intramuscular shot, not subcutaneously (under the skin), right? How long has she been having them?

If it was IM, it probably was just a pain reaction from a nerve (or scar tissue?) or the burning sensatation stepped up a notch or whatever. With a SubQ, I think you have to watch for a developing sterile abscess.

Have you been rotating the shot? I don't think you're supposed to hit the same spot all the time.

PoorPenny! (And poor slave). ;)

I think she'll be fine, though.

sas :bunnydance:

We always give it to her under skin. She was on this shot for 8 months, then stopped in April 07, then resumed again last month. We give it to her every other day.
Yes, we rotate the shot, but still keep it in the area behind her neck. That's where she takes her shots well.

After about an hour her breathing is back to normal, but she started to loudly grind her teeth(not a lot, but once in a few mins), ears got cold, and she is hunching/sitting. Not laying as she was in the 1st hr.

I hope this shock didn't push her into stasis.

Pipp wrote:
You're giving it to her as an intramuscular shot, not subcutaneously (under the skin), right? How long has she been having them?

If it was IM, it probably was just a pain reaction from a nerve (or scar tissue?) or the burning sensatation stepped up a notch or whatever. With a SubQ, I think you have to watch for a developing sterile abscess.

Have you been rotating the shot? I don't think you're supposed to hit the same spot all the time.

PoorPenny! (And poor slave). ;)

I think she'll be fine, though.

sas :bunnydance:

If she's going cold like that, then do what you can to keep her warm.

A towell in the dryer and wrap it around her, a sock filled with dry rice and heated in the microwave for her to cuddle with, or a heating pad set on low.

I would push fluids and keep her warm.

--Dawn

Thanks I will.

She's not grinding her teeth now, ears got warmer. But still acting not herself. She did turn her head to lick the spot of the injection a few times. Ugh!

Latest posts

Back