Info needed on colours.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frenchy

Reaction score
Hi,

Hope you can help, I would like to know where I can find info on the various colours of rabbits. I am going to start breeding my French Lops shortly and after spending lots of time reading up on everything thats involved the only thing I need now is a good place to educate me on colours, so do any of you know any good places for me to start looking??

In the mean time if you can tell me what colours my rabbits are that would be great, also if I breed these any ideas what colours the kits will be??

This is Daisy, shes 7 mths,

maisy.jpg

And this is Blue, He is 8 mths,

blue1.jpg

bue2.jpg

Thanks, Kelly.

If you seriously want to start breeding rabbits then you need to join the Rabbit breeders assoc in your country.....I believe it is called the British Rabbit Council or something.http://www.thebrc.org/They will provide you with information to get you started.

Sharon

Hi Sharon,

Yes....I am serious about breeding and I have already looked into joining the BRC and had a good look at their web site. But it is not the breeding I need help with its getting to know what the various colours are.

And if theres a web site that is easy to understand and follow it would be great.

If you know of anywhere where I can get more info regarding this please let me know.

Thanks, Kelly.

I have a coat colors site here:

http://www.geocities.com/pamnock/

Note that I have an American site, some UK varieties are different. BRC Judge Phil Batey has a great site with varietyphotoshttp://www.miniaturelops.com/

Daisy appears to be a dark sable point (sallander in the UK).Blue looks like a blue silver marten (fox blue in the UK).Does blue have any tan behind the neck (blue otter) or any tan when you blow into the coat (opal).

Breeding a sallander x fox blue together would most likely produce black silver marten (fox black), blue or sable martens, sable or smoke pearl marten. The possibility of these varieties depends on the unknown recessive genes carried by your rabbits.

Let me know for certain on the color of "Blue".

Pam

Kelly, your rabbits are beautiful. How much does Blue weigh, he looks huge in those picture. I love them!

Susan:bunnydance:

Hi Pam,

Thanks for the reply and the link to the site.

Yes Blue does have tan at the back of his neck and a little around his nose area. As for the rest of his coat its the same colour all the way down to the base of the hair.

Thanks, Kelly.

Hi Susan,

In not sure how much Blue weighs as that was another question I was going to ask.....

Just how do you weigh a rabbit of that size?

What I mean is with what do I weigh him with? If he was a smaller rabbit I could use the kitchen weighing scales but that doesn't seem an option as I think he would be too heavy for them!!

But he is HUGE!!!!

Kelly.

frenchy wrote:
Hi Pam,

Thanks for the reply and the link to the site.

Yes Blue does have tan at the back of his neck and a little around his nose area. As for the rest of his coat its the same colour all the way down to the base of the hair.

Thanks, Kelly.

Then Blue would be a blue otter. Black otter is the color you'd most likely get when breeding the blue otter to sable point.

Pam

Thanks Pam,

All these colours are taking me a while to get my head around, but im sure ill get there in the end!!!

Also if everything goes to plan with the first breeding, further down the line I would like to have another doe to add to my stock,(I dont want to throw myself in the deep end and start off with too many too soon and want to slowly build up.)

Anyway I was thinking of possibly getting a Orange doe (not broken, I think thats what they've called when they are orange & white?)What sort of litter would I get form this, or would I be better getting a different colour doe as I want to have as much variation as possible with the kits?

Thanks again,

Kelly

What we call "brokens" in the US are "butterflies" in the UK.

Crossing the orange with a blue otter can produce any of about 50 varieties depending on what recessives your rabbits carry.Chestnut agouti would be the most likely color. Possible otters or orange may also be likely.

Pam

frenchy wrote:
Hi Susan,

In not sure how much Blue weighs as that was another question I was going to ask.....

Just how do you weigh a rabbit of that size?

What I mean is with what do I weigh him with? If he was a smaller rabbit I could use the kitchen weighing scales but that doesn't seem anoption as I think he would be too heavy for them!!

But he is HUGE!!!!

Kelly.

when i had a few flemmies, i would bring them up to my vets right at closing (that way, there wasn't any dogs up there to scare them) and use their scale. . .i would just have to call beforehand. . .

Hi susan,

I have just weighed Blue, well I got my son to weigh himself and then again whilst holding Blue.

And he is approx 9lbs, do any of you know if this is about right for his age?

Kelly.

Hi Kelly, I have no idea if that's a good weight for his age, but I do know I would Bunny Nap him if I lived a little closer to you. Unfortunately the Atlantic Ocean is in my way. I absolutely love Blue.

Susan:bunnydance:

Can I bunnynap Blue?

I'm a sucker for otters - but I've never seen a rabbit that large in the otter coloring..

WOW.

Peg

Thanks Polly,

I have loked at the BRC site to find out about joining and it is something I will do, It will be great if I can get a book from them also.

Although I have been taking a good look at the net and found quite a good few sites on there that clearly explain colours.

I cant wait to start a breeding program of my own, Ive been reading up for the last 12mths, and the suspence of all that waiting is now killing me!!!!!

Kelly

Latest posts

Back