Info about bleeding bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icrewtoo

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Thought I would just share something that recently happened with Buttercup. He is a 3.5 yr old lionhead bunny. Last week I was alarmed to find a 3 inch spot of blood on one of his blankets. The spot had been there (I'm guessing) for about 2 days, and he was acting totally normal, eating and running around being binky.

After checking every square inch of him only to find nothing, I called the vet. She said that at this time of year it is very common for a bunny to bleed (it is actually blood and urine mixed together, but looks only like blood and doesn't smell like urine), especially if they have too much calcium in their system. The vet also said to push the hay and cut out any extra calcium, ie, papaya, kale, etc. As long as they continue with their normal routine and behavior, apparently there is nothing to worry about.

Thought I would share the above. But remember, if your rabbit isn't acting normal and is bleeding, please take them to a vet! The above is only an example of a rabbit bleeding and acting totally normal and keeping with their same routine.

Hope this helps someone, because I know I was really worried about my little guy when I didn't know what was going on.

I've never seen anything about this in the many rabbit books I have, including Rabbit Health in the 21st Century. I'm pretty sure it's nothing to worry about, but don't know if too much calcium would be the cause.

Are you sure it was blood? A rabbits urine can vary in colour from almost clean to a reddish colour. This is mainly related to diet and is normal. Calcium tends to be white.
Bleeding is not normal. If it is mixed with the urine, then there can be a problem with the kidneys or bladder or even something else.
In 6.5 years of having rabbits, I have never had any blood in the urine. It can be red at times, but never blood regardless of the time of year.

I have to agree with Kate. Had a serious scare when seeing red tinted urine when i first got my boys and started feeding veggies. Though I read about it, it still was a bit unnerving.

Cutting out the kale could have stopped it. Green veggies do change the pigment of your bunnies urine.

Any blood in the urine is a sign that there is definitely something wrong with your bunny.

K:)

Latest posts

Back