Infection in the herd

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icarus

Reaction score
I went out to check on my bunnies today and noticed one had a puffy eye that was gunked shut. I removed it and placed it in a different cage, watered and fed, then looked at the bunny. The upper eyelid is very red and swollen, I'm suspecting pink eye. I checked for any objects or (lord forbid, I just treated a chick for it) worms in the eye.

The whole herd is in quarantine, save the two soon-due does who are NOT infected or showing signs of infection. Their in a separate cage away from the herd until they get a bit fatter and closer to kindling. So far I've noticed only the two bunnies with swollen eyes, but since everyones together for the time being, the whole herd will have to be treated. It may NOT be pink eye and they just got into a fight (it's a buck and a doe with it) or scratched themselves on something. I thought everything was bunny safe, but apparently not, since I scratched myself pulling the buck out. Going back and re-proofing the whole thing AGAIN today. If it's pink eye, I suspect I'll be getting it too since I cut myself.

Everyone has been treated with Ivermectin for ear cankers, which are looking VERY good. Now this shows up. Poor rabbits :(

Could this also be caused by dampness around the cage? It's been raining pretty hard the past few days and some of the ground was still damp in shaded places. I try to keep it as dry and clean as possible. We also have wild birds that roost in the trees, so I try to keep everyone UTD to avoid wild-bird brought illnesses.

All of my chickens and ducks are 100% healthy, save one poor chick (far from the herd and all other animals) who got some sort of nasty worm in it's eye (treated and gone, now it's just healing up).

I'm off to flush eyes and apply antibiotic ointment. I'm going to let everyone roam in a contained area for a bit, I don't like the fact that they don't have access to fresh grass. They get plenty of hay and loads of grain, but they seem happiest when they get to nom on the fresh stuff. I'm probably just overreacting, but my senior buck looked a little underweight today.

Anything else I can do? I'll post pictures of them soon.

Also: No snuffling, sneezing, or lung-sounds. Just one puffy eye. It could just be that they really jabbed themselves on something (or fought) BUT, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Quick update: It looks like a possibly irritation case. One buck has a cut on the inflamed lid, and my wonderful little Dutch had a cut on her upper shoulder! I located a tiny little bit of wire sticking into the cage, where it was cut for another door. I've fixed it, but the rabbits definitely could have cut themselves on it :(

Dutch looks like she'll be fine (wound is clean). Still monitoring the others, one has bad inflammation, one moderate, and two mild. The rest are showing absolutely no signs.

I'll update again once I know more.

Could the birds have pecked at the bunnies somehow? Or scared them, so they ran into the sides of the cage?

Latest posts

Back