Infected Teat??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KatsMeowTree

Reaction score
Alright, I've never seen this before so Ifigured I'd ask. I have a yound NZ white doe (almost seven months) thatapparently has an infected teat. It is swollen and when you press on itsome puss will come out. It is redden but not very warm like you'dexpect it to be. It seems to be only the teat, and only that one, thatis infected. I put a hot compress on it and some salve to help out. Iwas thinking maybe a broad-spectrum biotic, but wanted to see what youall had to say first.

Kat

Here's a picture of my girl taken the day I found out. My BabyFace:

Sounds somewhat like mastitis. Swollen teats, Iheard, can also be a symptom of reproductive cancer, so you may want toask the vet about that.

A weird thing that worked for me was olive oil, for some odd reason.

Rose

I dont understand why a 7 monthold Doe would have mastitis?Has she been bred ? From what Ihave read some of the biggerbreeds are not ready at 7 months.

Could she have possibly gotten a piece ofhay poked in the nipple ? Or maybe evena BOt ? I know theres been a few cases onthe board of Bot Larva causing problems .
There are so many reasons an infection can start inthe mammary glands . Will she allow you to pickher up and flip her over ? Ifshe will try looking for a hole, or a scab, something that doesnt looklike it belongs there . Definately sounds likea trip to the Vets and an Antibiotic of some kind.

In our area we don't have rabbit savy vets. Idon't feed them hay, so it couldn't be that. She's very calm and docileso I've already flipped her over. There is no hole for it to be alarva. She hasn't been bred and I hadn't planned on breeding her foratleast another month.

Kat

gypsy wrote:
Idont understand why a 7 month old Doewould have mastitis? Has she been bred? From what I haveread some of the bigger breedsare not ready at 7 months.

Can a rabbit only get mastitis when producing milk? Because what I wasthinking of was a doe I had that was never bred, about 5 yrs. old, hadthat same nipple thing. It sounded like mastitis, but we figured laterit was due to ovarian cancer: aggression, bleeding, and swollen nippleswere the symptoms. For some reason I thought mastitis was any infectionof the teat, but it now sounds more specific.

Hmmmm.....didn't know! Thanks!:)

Rose

P.S.hope I'm making some sense, I've got a nasty cold and it seems to affect me little brain.:p

Age ranges on diseases are just a general guideline, they can happen at any age.

Ed

Latest posts

Back