Increasing my rabbits quality of life with renal failure

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarah222296

Reaction score
So my bunny is about 6 or 7 now and his kidneys are starting to go. This is the second rabbit I've had that's suffered from this, his sister actually passed away about a year ago when her kidney function was almost nothing. I just want to make his quality of life as best as possible until the time comes. I worked at a vet for a few years so I know giving him fluids when he needs them is step 1. I just want to know if anyone else has had to go through this and what they did to make their bun comfortable. Please don't tell me to go to the vet, if im giving him sub q fluids clearly I've been there.

Are you open to a holistic approach? My cat was in renal failure for 4 years before she died, she's didn't actually die from kidney failure, but I gave sub q fluids to her daily. It's easy to learn to do them at home. The holistic approach I took was she got acupuncture and chiropractic treatments and I also had a Reiki master perform reiki on her weekly. I found it made a big difference to her overall health. I also had her on the best holistic food, and filtered water. The important thing to consider with any animal in renal failure is stress plays a key role in their well being so keeping stress to a minimum is very important. My kitty was also on Chinese herbs for her kidneys but you would have to find a vet that was familiar with dosing rabbits to make sure it would be safe. I also massaged her a few times a week too. It helps stimulate the immune system and also provided comfort to her.

Latest posts

Back