In Memory and in Honor . . .

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gone but never forgotten....

Thinking of my sister in law, Sharon, who died twelve years ago at the very young age of 30.She wassimply the besthuman being I have ever known. I was much closer to her than any of my own sisters.

Also my Dad who has been gone nearly twenty-three years now.I was sixteen when he died. His birthday was Sunday. He would have been 79.

Do Not Grieve For Me

[align=left]Do not stand at my grave andweep;
I am not there, I do not sleep;

I am a thousand winds that blow;

I am the diamond glints on the snow;

I am the sunlight on ripened grain;

I am the gentle autumn's rain.

When you awaken in the morning's hush,

I am the swift uplifting rush,

of quiet birds in circled flight.

I am the soft star that shines at night.

Do not stand at my grave and cry.

I am not there; I did not die.

[/align]

I also wanted to put something on here for my husband's mother. She died of cancer in September of 2000, about seven months after my daughter was born. I never got to know her, as my husband and I hadn't yet met at the time, but everything I hear of her was nothing but the fact that she was a truly amazing woman.

My husband took care of her until the very moment she passed.He was her main caretaker, as her husband was on leave at the time. He and his mother were extremely close...he always has a hard time around the holidays, though he doesn't say anything. He's a very strong man, my husband, but he really misses his mother.

He has many, many beautiful memories of her, which we share every now and then. And I love to hear each and every one of them...it reminds me that not all mothers are cruel and heartless like mine...that there are true gems of women still out there, raising their children in the most beautiful way possible.

I grieve for his mother right along with him, if only for not having the opportunity to meet her and get to know her, even a little. Just meeting her family and seeing what an amazing man her son is shows me how wonderful she was. They can hardly talk about her without breaking down from missing her.

So, to you, Beautiful Beth...we love you, and miss you so much. I came along just three years too late, and sorely regret it...but I know you look down on us, and come by now and then to check up on your beautiful boy. You are our personal angel.

We love you and think of you daily. :)

Here is an article about those sufferingthrough a "blue Christmas" . . .

By KRISTEN GELINEAU, Associated Press Writer Wed Dec 20, 2:25 PM ET

RICHMOND, Va. - There were no jolly Christmas carols at the Cannon Memorial Chapel. No brilliant poinsettias or festive branches of holly. No smiling faces or hearty wishes of happiness.

Instead, melancholy piano music echoed through the hushed church. Dead branches were lain on a table covered in blue cloth, representing the "winter of our souls." Men and women held each other and cried.
"This is not a traditional Christmas service," chaplain Kate O'Dwyer Randall said Tuesday, opening the University of Richmond's nondenominational "Blue Christmas" service, which drew around 60 people.

Somber Blue Christmas services are being held at many churches around the country this year, in recognition of what psychologists have long known: that the contrived good cheer of the holiday season can actually make some people who are dealing with heartbreak feel worse. The Blue Christmas services confront feelings of grief and loss head-on.

"Holidays in our culture are often about families, and families are not always happy institutions," said O'Dwyer Randall, who once worked as a grief counselor. "I think that particularly if you're facing a death or a divorce, the 'empty chair syndrome' becomes very real at this time of year."

This is the first Christmas in a long time that 77-year-old Charles Minter Jr. will have to celebrate without Barbara, whom he married 19 days after they met and stayed with for "57 years, four months and three days." In May, she succumbed to cancer.

"I hate the holidays. I see the lights and Christmas I just get the chills," he said. "I hope this is going to help."

Sharon Van de Walle's husband of 40 years died suddenly earlier this month.

"This just is a preparation for Christmas, which is going to be rather difficult," she said tearfully.

"And it's a good place to have a cry and no one will mind," her friend, Anita McCabe, said as she embraced her.

The "Blue Christmas" concept serves an important function for those who have lost loved ones, O'Dwyer Randall said. "The biggest sigh of relief for people who are grieving comes when you name it. When you say, `Hey, you're probably having a hard year.' When you say the person's name, "she said.

Christine Moll, a mental health counselor in Buffalo, N.Y., who has helped two churches develop holiday programs for depressed parishioners, said that all the holiday cheer can make people dealing with death, divorce or family dysfunction feel more out of place, and more miserable.

"All the glitz, the tinsel, and what have you, the decorations, conjure up that we all need to be having some sort of Norman Rockwell experience," she said.

The Rev. Emily Richards, pastor of St. Stephen's Episcopal Church in Ridgefield, Conn., said there has been a huge response to her church's first Blue Christmas service.

"We have to have the perfect Christmas and we have to be happy this time of yearwhen the reality is that we're not," she said. "This is an opportunity for people to come and be in the presence of God and acknowledge their grief and despair and loneliness and give it to God."

Some churches refer to such programs as "Longest Night" services and hold them on the shortest day and therefore, the longest night of the year. This year, that falls on Thursday.

"I find in my ministry that there's quite a bit of pastoral work to be done in December. It just seems that whatever griefs or pain people have increase in this time," said Rev. Cynthia Maybeck, pastor of the Trinity Church of Northborough, Mass., which has been offering such services for more than a decade. "Everything on the commercials is `Ho,ho, ho, Merry Christmas, such a season of tidings and great joy' and there's a lot of people whose hearts are breaking."

Source:http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061220/ap_on_re_us/blue_christmas

Latest posts

Back