IMPORTANT - Rabbit Syphilis

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh poor lil guy :(They are such tough creatures in the sense that they can put up with a lot. That looks terrible but I find it great that the pen gets rid of it so well! I had never seen it in person before and when I saw her genitals I was like "OUCH! Poor baby!!!" I think seeing it scared me even though I knew it was treatable. Lol. :?

Thank you for sharing Polly :rose:I feel relieved knowing that Nibs recovered from it so quickly. I would have been so scared if I had seen her eye like that!

* This is going to sound bad/dumb - But I am so relieved that it is not my doing! I was scared maybe it wasn't syphilis and I caused it somehow :?Hutch burn wouldn't have affected her nose though I don't think and Dahlia is absolutely fine. I never let their cage get that dirty either :?But you know... Sometimes you can't help but question your every action. *

A tiny amount of antibiotic ointment can help to sooth the wounds - but remember, that unless it is properly treated with Penn G, it's still an active case of vent disease, even if the ointment appears to clear everything up (syphilis is in the blood stream).

Pam

Oh Pam, I am definitely taking them in, I am in no way refusing them treatment. Gosh... I can't imagine mehaving those kinds of lesionsyou know where :shock:LOL. I woulddefinitely not want those things to come back! Poor girl!I just want something to sootheher for now. :)Thank you I will do that then :rose:

When they thought Hazel had syphillis (which thank god she didn't or Flopsy would have gotten it too because of all the face humping, lol) it was 3 shots of pen and an ointment that's actually used on 3rd degree burns as well.

I made sure to get a lactate(sp?) ringer for the pen as it's very thick and can burn. Hazel did FABULOUS with the shots. She doesn't really like to be held, but as soon as we put the alcohol on her and held up the fur, she would stop moving and let us give her the shot.

The shots were pretty easy and are definitely something you should be doing at home. Your poor bunny definitely has syphillis, :( One of the ways you can tell is it's on the nose transferred from the genital area.

I'm almost positive your cat cannot get it as it is not actually syphillis per-say, it's a rabbit form of the disease specific to rabbits. Our vet said we shouldn't worry about passing it on to other animals.

Good luck! Supposedly it will clear up fairly quickly once she's on the shots and they really should give you the ointment (sulfate something I believe, Randy could give you the real name) which should also help.

Good luck! :)

Wow - just reading this now, just came across it. Everyone has given great information. I also don't understand why they cannot show you how to do the injections yourself? We do all ours ourselves for our buns and big animals. And we have a lot of medications on hand here. They should be able to show you how to do it since it will need to be done repeatedly.

Hey everyone :biggrin2:

Great news! After a weekend from h***, I was at my parents' house so my mother offered to take me this morning to the vets for the girls' appointment. Have I told you that I love my vet?

She said there was no doubt it was syphilis, checked them over, petted them, etc. She didn't bother testing them, for which I am relieved (don't want to be cheap but it was obvious it was that) I asked about the injections, but she said it was better she do it because it was intra-muscular. However, when she came back, she told I could in fact do Sub-Q so she asked me if I felt confident to do it at home. Yep yep!Soooooooo relieved!

So 156$ later, I am fully equipped with their pen. and probiotics, etc. and so they shall be cured and I am so relieved. :biggrin2:Ariella was already looking better this morning before going (as in swelling went down, not bleeding, etc). Just happy that this will be solved and my girls will be well after. Just need them to put a little more weight on because they dropped but otherwise all is good. Vet says it's mild and she sees no complications and is very happy as well.

Only one stupid question: How do I shake thepenicillin? She told me to take out the end, shake, and put back? But not sure that makes sense as when I would put back the end, the syringe would squirt no? I'm lost. :baghead

It's rabbit specific so you/your cat aren't at risk. It does spread betweeen rabbits though, most commonly between mating partners or mother to baby. However, it spreads between vent/nose because of contact with the mucus membranes and it could spread the same way between partners grooming. You'll need to keep an eye and if it comes back in future then next time it's a good idea to treat both.

Tamsin

These are the instructions my vet gave me for shaking up the meds. You pull the plunger down a bit, take off the needle tip, put your finger over the end and shake well. Put the needle back on and push the plunger up to remove the air. You might have to tap the syringe to detach some air bubbles from the side of the syringe. Once all the air is out, then you inject just like the vet showed you.

It's pretty straight forward. I'm sure you'll figure it out when you need to do the injection.

--Dawn

Latest posts

Back