IMPORTANT - Rabbit Syphilis

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MsBinky

Reaction score
Can rabbit syphilis appear as blisters? Can they bleed? I'm trying to find threads but I only found my own about the CL's bun. Can someone pleeease help???

I noticed a few days ago that Ariella's nose seemed red and swollen kinda. Bit leaky but I thought it was just irritated because of Dahlia shedding so bad. I have been keeping an eye on it sinceI noticed. I have heard her sneeze once or twice but she her nose wasn't so runny and was clear.

Today I have been running around, preparing for the Mr's arrival and since they had food and water (I cleaned out the cages late last night), I didn't check her til now.

Omg my poor girl :tears2:Oh... I can't describe, I was horrified and I feel terrible!

Sorry for the quality, stupid camera doesn't like close ups...

syphilis002.jpg

syphilis004.jpg

syphilis006.jpg

I really don't think they are bite wounds. They appear more like small blisters. The girls have shown no sign of aggression whatsoever but I did think about it in case. I was here all day, I would have heard a scuffle.

I feel really bad. I figure if it is syphilis I will need to have Dahlia treated. Can it be transmitted indirectly as well? If I handled Ariella and handled another can I have spread it? :nerves1I appreciate all the help I can get.

If I'm not mistaken, rabbit syphilus can be cured with antibiotics? So if cross contamination has occured, then at least the treatment is simple. You could talk to the vet about it, and if they consider the risk great enough perhaps they could prescibe antibiotics to the other bunnies with out bringing them in. That should help defray the cost.

Poor baby. It looks very ouchy. I don't have any experience with this, but I'll be sending positive vibes your way.

--Dawn

Yes, that is a case ofsyphilis (vent disease, scabby nose). It's generally only sexually transmitted (or from doe to fetus), so it's unlikely that the other rabbit has contracted it.

It's treated with injectable Penn G.

Pam

Thanks for replying. I will ask for PenG. Pam, I thought it could be transmitted directly as well? Dahlia and Ariella are bonded so with grooming and all... I would be relieved though if there is nothreat to the others. I am sure glad it's treatable, it looks so painful! I feel so bad for not checking her genitals sooner... Maybe I woulda have caught on earlier and prevented it from getting so painful. *Sighs*

I am waiting for the vet's office to open to find out when I can take her in. I haven't applied anything on it because it looks really painful and I don't want to hurt her. Should I be doing something for her? :?

You can have the other rabbit tested to be certain. The vet can recommend ointment to put on the nose/genitals as well as the injectable Penn G.

A thorough weekly exam is a good idea. It also helps the rabbit get used to being handled and turned over, which will make vet examinations easier also.

Pam

Called vet, I love this place they are excellent. However, can someone tell me why rabbits always get ill at the worst possible times??? :?Actually, it's not the vet bill that is the worst... It's the taxi... It costs me 40$ for each visit by taxi and they cannot let me do the injections and we are looking at 3-5 visits.:faint:

Here's the breakdown:

Consult - 44$, Test - 41$

Pen. Injections every week for 3-5 weeks - 30-50$

And errr "support treatment to balance the intestinal fluora" - 33$

Basically, this is a basic estimate and this is only for Ariella. So anywho, the overall treatment sounds right, right? I know pen. has risks so I think they are doing the right thing with the "support treatment" though i don't know what it is exactly. In general, is 3 injections more probable than 5? Or should we stick to 5 to be absolutely sure of no reoccurence?

yikes! poor baby. I just wanted to chime in on the "support treatment." that's probably a probiotic--they'll give her something that contains the intestinal bacteria that help a rabbit digest stuff, because the PenG could kill the bacteria in her intestine, which would be a bad thing. It's just like when your doctor gives you an antibiotic and tells you to eat yogurt to keep your intenstines ok. Without the yogurt, an antibiotic can give you diarhrrea (not even going to try to spell that right), but eating the yogurt will help. so the support treatment is probably something she'll eat that will keep her digestive bacteria in order.;)

Probiotic! That's the word. Lol, you have to excuse me, my main language is french and when i translate myself I tend to space out more. Lol. Is there a particular probiotic that is best? Just gathering as much info as I can. Yes, I am happy she is getting them. Even happier that the vet didn't say "feed her plain yogurt" lol.

Omg, I remember when i asked the vet "Do you give female rabbits pain meds after being spayed because my last vet refused even after i repeatedly asked?" You should have seen her face. Omg, lol, she was like "OF COURSE! Why didn't he... argggggggggggh!" Lol. I wish I had known of this place for Wiggles :(

Anywho, I am taking her on Monday. Poor kiddo. I feel crappy for not having checked down there more often. :?I was thinking "snuffles" or allergies, ec, etc. when I was checking her. Syphilis never crossed my mind. How ironic too, I had just asked bout a bun on Craigslist. :foreheadsmack:

Ok Dumbest question but, I know it is transmissible amongst bunnies but can the cat get it too? :baghead

I don't understand why they can't show you how to do injections. I gave Zeke daily injections when he was recovering from his reconstructive surgery. They are very easy to give.

The vet provided me with 5 preloaded syringes, they where already mixed with saline to reduce the sting. They gave me a demonstration and detailed instructions. I took the syringes home, gave the injections then brought them back to the vet's office once empty.

I would try talking to them again, and find out exactly why they have to have the bun back to the office for shots. See if you can convince them to let you take home some pre-loaded syringes.

I found the injections easier than trying to get the oral meds in Zeke's mouth. It was much less stressful for everyone involved. And I'm sure it would be less stressful for both you and Ariella.

--Dawn

Maybe it's because it is penicillin? I have no clue. I admit, it would be a whole lot easier if I could do them here though I won't push if it is a risky drug. Poop. :? I definitely prefer injections to oral meds but I think penicillin is avoided orally no? Not sure. Anywho... Hope Monday comes fast.

Zeke had injectable penicillin. He was on a different oral one, but he hated the taste so I switched to injectable.

I had to keep the syringes in the fridge until just before use. Take the tip off, shake them to mix the saline in well and then put the tip back on and inject.

I would try to convince them to allow you to do home injections. Have you given injections to a person before? Think of anything you can to assure them that it would be okay. They might be worried about legalities of something, so perhaps you could work with them on a waiver of some sort?

--Dawn

Thank you Dawn. I will try and work it out with them. I have done rabbit injections before and the vet knows that I know more than the average person around here so maybe if she recognizes me she will let me. That would save a lot of trouble. I will mention the waiver idea, that's a good suggestion. Thank you :rose:

You can buy Penn G at the feed store (or on-line) and give the injections yourself. Two injections are generally given, however, some cases can be rather stubborn.

It's unlikely that the cat is infected.

Pam

Pam, thank you for that info! I will have to look then if she doesn't want to let me do it. :rose:Do you think putting something cold on it for now would help soothe her? I feel awful bad leaving her like this.

Rosie, thank you so much.:rose:

I will keep you guys updated. :)

I'm glad you did. I figured maybe they could be useful. :)

That's the thread I was looking for but somehow missed yesterday! :?I knew there was one. Lol.

Sophie when Nibs had Syphi. he had 3 pen G injections you will see an improvement after 1 look cleared with 2 the third finishes it off.

As it is injected and not given orally it should not effect the gut in any way. but if you feel better using it then go for it.

This was his eye it never was round his genitals as it was virgin Syphi but his nose was really scabby too. Unfortunately it took our vet a while to get the results back off teh tests and it was a really bad case. The reason it looks so dry and scabby was cause we were bathing it too.

bunnies127.jpg

Latest posts

Back