I'm worried about my bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BonbonandJujubee

Reaction score
Right now one of my females has lost a lot of weight because she had a litter of kits. But I am not worried about that, I can feel a hard lump in her tummy. It is right under her ribs on the left side and I'm not sure if it is an organ or if it should be so hard. This might be dumb, but I am hoping it isn't anything serious. It couldn't be a stuck kit because she had her babies 6 weeks ago. So I am just hoping it's is an organ.

A rabbit shouldn't be losing a lot of weight just because she's had kits and is nursing. They should be able to maintain their weight for the most part. If they aren't then they either aren't getting enough food or there is something else going on. What has your does diet been like while nursing and how well is she eating her food?

It might be the stomach you are feeling. That's right up under the rib cage. But if you suspect it's something else and might abnormal, only way to know would be to take her to the vet for an exam.
https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

A rabbit shouldn't be losing a lot of weight just because she's had kits and is nursing. They should be able to maintain their weight for the most part. If they aren't then they either aren't getting enough food or there is something else going on. What has your does diet been like while nursing and how well is she eating her food?

It might be the stomach you are feeling. That's right up under the rib cage. But if you suspect it's something else and might abnormal, only way to know would be to take her to the vet for an exam.
https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/
She has been eating fine and I have been trying to feed her extra to get her weight back up. I don't want to breed her until she is at a good weight again. I have felt it again and it seems to have softened a little, I do think it is her stomach. Thank you for helping!

A nursing doe should get fed unlimited alfalfa based pellets and free fed hay, as they have a much greater need of nutrients and often eat at least triple what they normally would to provide the nourishment for the babies. If she hasn't been free fed pellets and hay, then that's likely why she is losing weight. If she has been free fed pellets and hay, then she likely has some underlying health condition and should not be bred again until this has been properly diagnosed and treated. It could be something as simple as an intestinal parasite and needing deworming, or it could be much more complicated.

Latest posts

Back