I'm sick with flu

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aj82

Reaction score
Can rabbits catch a cold or flu from people?

Iirc, i asked this when I got my bunnies and the answer was no. However, i could be wrong. I'm sure more knowledgeable people will respond soon.
I do want to say to take extra good care of yourself. I don't mean to be scary, but in Las Vegas 9 people have died from the flu this year. So, if you get a high temperature or anything, go to the doctor or ER right away.

I suspect it's possible to pass the flu to a bunny, as cases have been reported of cats, dogs and even ferrets contracting the H1N1 flu virus from humans (and of cats and dogs contracting the usual "seasonal" influenza). It doesn't appear to happen as readily as human-to-human transmission because the virus has to mutate to change hosts... but mutations aren't unlikely with viruses due to having RNA (which is a single strand) instead of DNA (two strands, which have to "match up", to put it in layman's terms). It's recommended that you take the same precautions with household pets as you would with other humans to minimize their exposure to your flu germs.

I wouldn't stress yourself out about it; simply try not to spend too much time snuggling the heck out of your bunny, wash your hands before handling him, etc. [If he does develop respiratory symptoms, make sure you mention to the vet that you were sick with the flu recently.]

I hope you feel better soon! The flu is awful :(

Thanks everyone and I hope anyone else who is poorly gets well soon x

Many illnesses can't be passed between different species. One thing that affects us, that can also affect rabbits, is cold sores. Though not common, it can be passed to rabbits and make them very sick.

Latest posts

Back