I'm pretty sure my hamster, Harry, will pass on over to the rainbow bridge tonight.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexah

Reaction score
Some people think I'm crazy for crying over a hamster that may die. "They all die," they say. Well, yes, I know that...but I'm not ready.

Harry is the first pet I got when I moved in with my mom last year. I waited almost 6 months to get him because I wanted to be sure we were staying. I saw him in the pet store and fell in love. He was round, chubby, and had a head of hair that went all over the place. We picked him out and then got his cage, food, and accessories. We were maybe in the store for 15 minutes - if that much - and he managed to escape not once, not twice, but three times! Finally we gave up with the cardboard box they gave him to us in and set up his cage right then and there. That's how he became Harry "Houdini."

I love that little dude. He was crazy, funny, and super cute...almost in an ugly sort of way, lol! He would never bite me when he was out and about, but man! If I put my fingers near the cage bars - CHOMP! I got bitten time and time again by him. And those suckers hurt! I knew when I got him he wouldn't live forever. And I knew he was probably older when I got him from the pet store too. He was the biggest and most scraggly, but I didn't care. I guess I still don't. I love Harry, and I will always love Harry.

Something made me check on him tonight when I was feeding the buns. He's usually out and about and running in his wheel. But he didn't tonight. Then I threw in some treats...and nothing. I knew then that something was up. I tried to wake him so I could see that, "get the **** away from me," kind of look. I didn't get the look. I tried to move him and he just flopped. He's still breathing, but it looks almost labored. He does move around, but not much - it seems like he's trying to bury himself in deeper into the bedding. And his eyes wouldn't even open. I've not noticed any respiratory problems and he was fine yesterday. He wasn't interested in food and he feels weird to me. I mean, he's never been thin...but he seems so tonight. And bony. It's breaking my heart...

There's no vet open and, honestly, I think it's just the end for him. My mom was petting him because I was crying so hard and she buried him back up in his bedding so he'd be comfortable. Then I threw in some white tissue since he loves to snuggle in it so much. We decided it would be best to let him live his last night in my bedroom as that's where he's used to being. His cage is up higher than any of my buns and he's never been right next to them. And, of course, I washed my hands thoroughly before handling them. Now I'm scared I'll lose them all too. But I know it's just fear and that it isn't true. I don't want him to die alone in another room.

I said goodbye. I'm crying. I feel like God's punishing me because I was planning on getting a chinchilla. But that wouldn't have changed my love for Harry. How can I miss him already when he's not even gone? But, I guess, he is. That wasn't Harry tonight...that was just his shell. I need to remember he'll always be with me. And I with him. Always. ALWAYS.

Harry, I love you. You may have always been a chump, but you were my chump and you'll forever be in my heart.

So, yeah, I cry over the death of a hamster. If someone doesn't like it, then tough. A soul is a soul is a soul. And his soul is pretty awesome.

Harster.jpg

And, because you were such a funny guy...here's my favorite picture - taken just a couple weeks ago. You didn't like me taking pictures of you so I gave you some oats and raisins to eat so you'd sit still. Who knew you'd shove them ALL in your mouth?! You're such a little pip. But it only made me love you more.

Harry4.jpg

I can't be there to hold him all night until he passes, so please keep him in your thoughts tonight that he makes it safely and painlessly over to the other side. Please let him know he was loved...because he was...and always will be.

Goodbye my baby...goodbye...

Alexah, how old is your lil guy. I have a hammie myself and sometimes he don't come out when I check on him, or sleeps longer, or come out when I put treats in.

First of all God does not punish people if they want another pet of any kind. Don't say that. He is not punishing you because you want a Chinchilla. Never say that.

I hope your guy will be ok, just check on him off and on to make sure.

I'm so sorry. I hate it when a pet dies I always cry I love them all. I know this is way to soon, but, my hamster had 15 babbies and I have three that look just like him really. I really hope he'll be okay. Lots of loveand prayers to you and your harry. And sweetpea is right god does not punish people for wanting another animal. Just hang in there. We are all here for you both.

Lynda:hug::big kiss:

I wouldn't be too worried about him getting your rabbits sick. Sounds like he is dying from old age. Mine all died the same way. You gave him an awesome year and I am sure that he is very thankful to have you. You seemed to have bonded right from the pet store saying that he was the scruffiest one. Probably was the oldest one too. You gave him a great home!

How is he doing this morning? :pray:

How is Harry doing this morning? I love hamsters too and it's so sad when they die! They're such great little pets. Harry is INCREDIBLY cute, too! My Lily died in December and now only Data is left, he's exactly a year old and I'm afraid that this time next year, he'll be gone. And my two remaining rats will be gone as well :( Rodents need to live longer.

I didn't mean to de-rail this post and make it about me. I'm very sorry to hear that poor Harry isn't doing well. It's really hard to watch them suffer. I'm glad you chose him from the pet store, though!

Harry passed away during the night or early this morning. He's gone. And I'm so, so sad. I can't even write anything else right now. He's gone.

RIP Harry...I'll never forget you and you'll forever be in my heart.

I know how hard it is to lose one of these little guys. They really get into your heart, real fast. And it's pretty bad when you know they are going to pass soon. One of my hamsters, I knew his time was comming and I cried for like a week before he died and for like a month after. My little Khleo was so important to me. And then Benji, he died unexpectedly. He started making this little squeak noises and I screamed for my parents, and we sat there and watched him for a few seconds, and he died. It was so horrible.

But anyways, RIP Harry. You will be missed. And anybody who thinks you are crazy, they are crazy. Hamsters are pretty awsome souls, like you said. You attach to them so easily...

:hug:

:hugsquish:Here is a hug for you. I am sorry that Harry Passed on.

Remember God loves you, he loves it when people love the animals he created for all of us.

He is now young, pain free and happy too. He would want you to be happy too. IT is ok to cry, let it all out.:hugsquish:

Latest posts

Back