im new. just got my bunnie

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

citybun

Reaction score
I just got my very first Bunnie. I got it from afeed store. I have a couple of questions. 1. how do i tell what sex itis? 2. how do i tell how old it is? 3. whats the oldest age to spy orneuter? 4. i haven't seen him/her eat or drink anything yet, but isstill active should i worry?

Here's a link to a link to a good site re: sexing rabbits. It's pretty hard to tell when they're young, though.

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12064&forum_id=17

If you can post a picture, maybe someone can guess at his/her age.

You REALLY haveto make sure your bunny is eating andespecially drinking. Provide the same set up that he/she hadat the feed store, at least for the first while.

If they are used to drinking out of a crock, they may not recognize thewater bottle, and vice versa. (Won't hurt to provide both).

And its not good to switch food, a sudden diet change can upset abunny's system. Any idea how long he/she was at the feedstore?

What you should be feeding the rabbit depends on the age. Thefeed store people didn't know? Is it a baby or an adult or???

Spaying is usually done around six months old. . Neuteringcan be a little younger, depending on the breed and stage ofdevelopment.

Hope this helps! Check out the Resource Center in the Forum below, lots more info there.

:)

PS: You also have to make sure yourbunny is pooping! Tinyor wet poops can be signs oftrouble.

the feed store couldn't answer any of myquestions. the bunnies come in this moring so they werent there thatlong. they had them in a box with a bowl of water and food. all thebunnies were diffrent sizes so they werent the same litter or breed.thanks for the link. ill get i pic up in a minute.

:inlove:

I'm not sure, but he looks very young to me. Some of thebreeders here may be able to tell more, but he looks like less than 8weeks old to me.

I'd definately call the feed store and see what they were feedinghim. Even better, ask if they have the contact info for hisbreeder and find out what the breeder was feeding him. It'sbest not to change the food of little babies like this toofast. They have delicate stomachs.

Is he eating and drinking yet? What are you feeding him?

when i bought him the feed store gave me a 5lbbag of bunny chow pellets. should i try to him some veggies? oh and ithink that it is a male form looking at the link. he is pooping littlesmall round balls about the size of a pencile eraser.

Nope, don't give him veggies yet. Lethim eat as much pellets as he wants (I'm assuming they're plain pelletswith no junk treats in them?) and feed him timothy or alfalfa hay assoon as you can buy some. Hay is really good for buns, andshould be the majority of their food when they're adults.

The poop sounds normal. Keep an eye out for any changes.

dutch!!! really... well my mom was right! well i guess that ill name him dutch then.

Oh it's definately a little dutch! What a cutie pie!
My baby is Cadbury, her mommy was a Dutch so she's a half :) I gotCadbury when she was 8 weeks old, probably a little older then yourbunny's age. She's a little over a year old now.
When they're babies, they should eat alfalfa hay, not timothy. They caneat alfalfa until they are a year old b/c it helps them grow and ishigh in vitamins & proteins. They can eat all the alfalfa theywant but you hafta limit the pellets.
They also love green leaf lettuce. It's a particular type in the food store and it's good for them too.
When Cadbury was a baby, I put a blue blanket on the floor for her tolay on b/c she was afraid of the kitchen tiles (i know, it's weird.She's just gotten over it now!) She loves the blanket, still lays on itand snuggles in it. Just an idea for your baby!
Also, if you want to hold her as she gets older, it's a good idea tostart holding her now. That way, she gets use to being held otherwise,like my little monster, she has a heart attack anytime somebody triesto pick her up and now we don't pick her up at all b/c I hate to upsether.

Sooo cute!

well we have made it through our first night. heis very lovable and loves to be held. if you put him down he comeshoping right back to you. about how big will he get. i want to makesure i get a big enough cage that will last awhile. he is eating hispellets just fine. where do i get the alfalfa hay from?i have horsesbut the place a buy their hay only hadgrass and fescue hay.

bojay wrote:
alfalfa hay isn't good for rabbits. too muchprotein. try to find timothy hay or orchardgrass.

Baby rabbits (up until6 months to a year old) really need theprotein and calcium, so they really shouldhave alfalfahay. Good to mix it with timothy, though, sothey're used to it when they get older.

EDIT: Here's a link to the Resource Center's Hay listings. (There's a 'Hay Exchange' link that may help)

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12059&forum_id=17

Latest posts

Back