I'm new here!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DNance1229

Reaction score
Hi everyone! My name is Debbie. I live in NE Indiana. As a tween/teen, I raised rabbits for 4-h. Grand champion 2x for the buns and 3 for my rooster. Lol. Now I'm 50, we are empty nesters, and I am looking to get a new bun. I have had a lionhead and a holland lop in the last 10 years or so. I'd like input from the community here, regarding the breed I should get. I breed havanese&havapoo puppies and have a cat and Newfoundland. None of my pets ever minded the bun. My hubs calls me Snow White. 💜 I know that I want a buck. I've been reading a lot abt English Angora, and then lionheads and holland lops round out my group of possibilities. Any input wld be greatly appreciated. I know the Angora will require a tremendous amount of grooming, but I groom my puppers myself, have the equipment and know-how, so that isn't a concern. I just really want a snuggle bun. My husband calls lionheads cabits, because the main makes their ears look extra short and cat like. Hahaha. I love the wide noses and the sweetness. In my profile pic, that is Cabot, the lionhead I was getting until he got sold out from under me. Soooo, help if you can, say hi if you want to! Also a consideration- I have cancer and am having 2 massive tumors removed. Went through this on Valentine's day of 2014. So I will be down and out for a few days. The last tumor weighed 152 lbs. A whole person size. I've become isolated and self-loathing, so I'm hoping to make some friends here!🐰

Also, what is considered a fair price for the varieties I mentioned? Thank you bunches. Can't wait to hear from y'all.

Hahah! Same but its morning here!

Welcome to the forum! I will be praying for you as you go through this hard time!

Please don't buy from a breeder. Baby rabbits are the hardest rabbits to raise because their personality changes once their hormones kick in at 4-5 months. So, if you get a baby and it is cuddly for 2-3 months, one morning when you wake up it will be like you have a completely different rabbit. Once a rabbit's personality changes, it can also get super aggressive, destructive, moody, and if you get a buck (like you said you are wanting) they might spray everything - including you! The only way to fix these issues would be to get the bunny spayed/neutered which can be anywhere from $50-$300. You also said you want a cuddly bunny, if you get a baby there is no way to know if the bunny will be cuddly when it is older. I made the mistake of adopting from a breeder when I got Theo. The breeder said Theo was so sweet and always wanted cuddles, now he HATES being held. He has learned to tolerate it when I have to hold him, but he still hates me afterward. Keep in mind that rabbits are prey animals (in the wild they would only be held if they were captured by a preditor) and it is very rare to find a bunny that loves being held. Some rabbits will tolerate it, but most hate it. If by saying you want a cuddly rabbit, you mean one that will come running to you for nose rubs, then that is understandable. Theo loves climbing into my lap to get cuddles (especially while I'm trying to do school). But if you mean you want a rabbit that will crawl into your arms and fall asleep, I think you are actually looking for a cat because rabbits just aren't like that.

If you look at your local rabbit rescue you can adopt a buck that has already been neutered and his personality has already been established so you can find the best rabbit for you. Baby rabbits from breeders (if you get a Lionhead or Holland Lop) are $40-$80. Let's say you get a Lionhead for $50, you would then need to get the rabbit spayed/neutered (say another $200) so overall you are spending $250 for a rabbit. But, if you adopted from rescue the rabbit is normally only $80 and it has already been spayed/neutered. You would also be saving a bunny's life since over 7 million rabbits are euthanized every year! My only suggestion while looking for a bunny is don't look for the bunny based on breed or looks. Go for the personality! People say Holland Lop and Lionhead are very friendly breeds and they are, but giant breeds are also very friendly, so keep an open mind when looking for rabbits.
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/choosing-your-first-bunny.html

Welcome to the forum! I will be praying for you as you go through this hard time!

Please don't buy from a breeder. Baby rabbits are the hardest rabbits to raise because their personality changes once their hormones kick in at 4-5 months. So, if you get a baby and it is cuddly for 2-3 months, one morning when you wake up it will be like you have a completely different rabbit. Once a rabbit's personality changes, it can also get super aggressive, destructive, moody, and if you get a buck (like you said you are wanting) they might spray everything - including you! The only way to fix these issues would be to get the bunny spayed/neutered which can be anywhere from $50-$300. You also said you want a cuddly bunny, if you get a baby there is no way to know if the bunny will be cuddly when it is older. I made the mistake of adopting from a breeder when I got Theo. The breeder said Theo was so sweet and always wanted cuddles, now he HATES being held. He has learned to tolerate it when I have to hold him, but he still hates me afterward. Keep in mind that rabbits are prey animals (in the wild they would only be held if they were captured by a preditor) and it is very rare to find a bunny that loves being held. Some rabbits will tolerate it, but most hate it. If by saying you want a cuddly rabbit, you mean one that will come running to you for nose rubs, then that is understandable. Theo loves climbing into my lap to get cuddles (especially while I'm trying to do school). But if you mean you want a rabbit that will crawl into your arms and fall asleep, I think you are actually looking for a cat because rabbits just aren't like that.

If you look at your local rabbit rescue you can adopt a buck that has already been neutered and his personality has already been established so you can find the best rabbit for you. Baby rabbits from breeders (if you get a Lionhead or Holland Lop) are $40-$80. Let's say you get a Lionhead for $50, you would then need to get the rabbit spayed/neutered (say another $200) so overall you are spending $250 for a rabbit. But, if you adopted from rescue the rabbit is normally only $80 and it has already been spayed/neutered. You would also be saving a bunny's life since over 7 million rabbits are euthanized every year! My only suggestion while looking for a bunny is don't look for the bunny based on breed or looks. Go for the personality! People say Holland Lop and Lionhead are very friendly breeds and they are, but giant breeds are also very friendly, so keep an open mind when looking for rabbits.
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/choosing-your-first-bunny.html
I know you didn't aime this at me but I am also looking at a friend for my bunny, Ive looked at the rescue and cant seem to find any good near me (within 100 miles) A lot of them say they are aggressive and I cant have an aggressive rabbit, Ive been looking for the past three months, still nothing.

I know you didn't aime this at me but I am also looking at a friend for my bunny, Ive looked at the rescue and cant seem to find any good near me (within 100 miles) A lot of them say they are aggressive and I cant have an aggressive rabbit, Ive been looking for the past three months, still nothing.
I understand this situation. I would suggest looking on Facebook, Craigslist, and other places to find bunnies that are being rehomed. Especially after Easter, there will be millions of bunnies being rehomed around August.

Call the rescue and see if they have any rabbits that are not aggressive. Since so many rabbits are going in and out of the shelters it is sometimes hard for them to keep the website up to date.

I understand this situation. I would suggest looking on Facebook, Craigslist, and other places to find bunnies that are being rehomed. Especially after Easter, there will be millions of bunnies being rehomed around August.
Thank you!

I know I’m a bit late replying, but welcome to the forum!

I've rescued a lot of my Bunn's from our local Humane Societies. It's run from $10.00 to $25.00 and they've neutered them for free or a very minimal cost. You will also save another Bunny.

Latest posts

Back