I'm just devastated

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juicyjuicee

Reaction score
Sunday at 1am we had to rush my cat to theemergency vets because she was throwing up all this white foam, shehadn't eaten anything that day and I seriously thought she was going todie.

Well it turns out she has fatty liver disease. We transfered her to ourvet since emergency clinics are only open at night and on weekends soall pets must be out by 7:30 am.

She had to be fed by a syringe but now she will not swallow at all. Mymom just called me and told me the prognosis wasn't good and they can'tget her to eat and she asked me If I think they should place a feedingtube in her. I said yes but I guess that comes with consquences likeinfection and aspirating (sp?). But what else is there? The vet justkind of made it seem like there's nothing we can do but when i look itup online most cases have good outcomes.

But what about the liver? The vet hasn't said anything aboutit.I thought that was like thehugeproblem.All she has said is that she won't eat.

AND when we brought her home from the emergency vets they said she wasdoing so good and they expected her to stay only another day or 2 beinghospitalized but our vet is saying no no no it's going to take anextremely long time.

I just dont' get it.

Also the problem is with the money, so far we have spent $1000. Igraduate this year and my uncle gives $2000 to us kids for a gradpresent. I will 100% put it towards her. I just don't know what i'd doif we lost her.

Vent.

Aw, I'm so sorry to hear that. It must be so awful knowing that someone you love so much is struggling so much.

I'm not sure about liver disease in cats, but in people, if it isterminal, then it is a slow painful death, so I would think that youneed to talk to your vet about the liver, the prognosis, what s/hereally thinks the best thing to do would be, and if you are notsatisfied with that, maybe try and get a second opinion from someonewho has had many years experience with cats.

It is awful to lose someone you love, so so awful, but you need to tryand think about your cats quality of life because in time, if you lether suffer, you may come to feel guilt for that, as opposed to grievingand knowing you did everything you could to keep her happy.

I'm not saying give up on her, or that she will necesarily die, I hopeyou realise that. I just realised that that is what thatabove bit sounded like, so I'm sorry if it did.

There is no easy solution, but please keep talking to us and keep usupdated. If you need a chat or anything then my PM box is open. I havehad to make some really hard decisions about animals health so I trulycan relate to the situation you find yourself in.

I hope that if you (or someone else) canmanage to talk to thevet, that the vet can give you a good idea of what might happen.

Thinking of you

Take care

I'm so sorry to hear about your kitty. I don't have any advice, but you're in my thoughts!

Vent as much as you want - we're here for listening.

((hugs))

Back