I'm back from my trip

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PepperGrl

Reaction score
Hi again all! I just got back fromTexas last night. It was an awesome trip, I have a nice tan,and all my animals were fine when I came home (that was the biggestrelief). But now I know I at least have someone I can trustto watch my rabbits. Pepper wasn't too happy that I had beengone for 12 days, I got quite few thumps when I let her out to playlast night. But after a few craisins, she decided I wasn'tthat bad and forgave me with bunny kisses :D It's nice toknow she still loves me.

Now to my question: Friday will be 6 weeks since Butterscotchhas been neutered... according to the vet, that is how long I wassupposed to wait before I could put them together. They willboth be living in the three story NIC cage I built for them awhile back(right now Butterscotch is in it because he is the bigger bunny, butPepper also lived in it for awhile too). I'm not worriedabout their bonding because they all ready have bonded before theneuter (and after with close supervision from me, no humping:shock:). My question is what will I need to do for the cageso that both bunnies can live there together. I have seperatefood, hay, and veggie dishes for both bunnies and two seperate waterbottles and litter boxes. Do I combine everything into onecage or should they just share everything?? Butterscotch is afrench lop and Pepper is a mini so he should get quite a bit biggerthan her and I'm wondering if they might need two ofeverything. Also Pepper is scheduled for her spay on Aug.2nd, are they going to have to be seperated again until sherecovers? And if so, should I just wait and put them togetheruntil after she is spayed? I just hate to keep them seperateany longer, they like being together. I guess I could stillseperate them but let them have play time together. What doeseveryone think? Thanks for listening and it's good to be back!

~ Jamie

Welcome back! You were missed. :)

I would separate them when she's spayed. You don't know howshe'll be feeling and her hormones will still be racing, so just toavoid any troubles and keep her calm. Personally, I'd holdoff putting them in the same cage until after she's spayed.They're used to it now, and if they have playtime and their cages areside-by-side, they can still have the social interactionbetween them.

You'll want to make sure that she can walk into her litterbox after theoperation as some rabbits find it difficult to hop with theirincision. Also, it's best to shred newspaper instead of usinglitter as it could get into the wound and infect it. I'm sureyou already are aware of that though having just been through a similarexperience with the little mon.

-Carolyn

Thanks Carolyn, I missed everyone too!I felt lost without this forum :(. Thank you for theadvice... I think I will keep them in seperate cages until she recoversand just let them have playtime together. I will also keep aclose eye on her with her litter and start saving up newspaper to usefor her box. My vet uses a surgical glue instead of stichesso I have to monitor that carefully too but at least there is no worryof her pulling stiches out. Butterscotch made it through hissurgery and recovered very nicely so I hope we have the same luck withher :).

~ Jamie

I do think it's wise to use the newspaper regardless of the glue he uses. Better safe than sorry.

So glad you had a good time on your trip. Thrilled to hearthat Butterscotch's recovery was quick and complete. Willpray for the same with Pepper. The does tend to take a bitlonger with the recovery time because it's such an invasiveoperation. Some seem fine within a couple of days, but youcan't be too careful.

Make sure you have NutriCal, just in case she needs a little boost toher immune system or her appetite decreases and she goes off her feed.

Keep us posted.

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back