I'm back and I need help!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becknutt

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm finally able to access the site again! We moved into a new house and it took a while to get the cable up and going. They actually had to plant a telephone pole in my backyard....anyway more on that adventure later. I need help.

I went out of town this weekend, and I came home to Floppy having a crusty brown gunk in his ears. Ruby's (who is bonded and housed with him) ears are spotless, and I would be shocked if it was mites or fleas because due to the move the buns haven't been outside in almost 3 months. The other animals also appear spotless. When I had Floppy neutered (February? I think.) The vet swabbed his ears because he had a lot of wax built up and it was clean. No mites.

What can I do? Is it safe to try a flea or mite treatment if that is not the cause? Sorry for the poor pic, I only have my cell camera right now. You can see the gunk...and Ruby's clean ear as well. He is scratching his ears also. The other one has a small ammount down inside the ear that I can see but no where near as bad as this one.

ear.jpg

I hate to say this but you really should take him to the vet!

It could me an infection and the vet needs to do a culture to determine which antibiotic is appropriate

He also may need to have his ears cleaned and as far as I know there is nothing over the counter that is suitable to use.
I would take him soon!

Unattended ear problems can really blow up into big problems if they are not treated right away. (middle ear infections , head tilt etc)

Maybe he does have mites but it just isn't worth the risk to guess about it.

If it is mites (taking advantage of stressfrom the move?), the best meds are available at the vet office. Sure you can get ivermectin elsewhere but it needs to be calculated correctly.

If it's not mites it could be an infection. Normal ear wax usually isn't dark or crusty so there must be some kind of problem.

Is it in both of his ears or only one? Maybe he has trouble cleaning his ears because of his wonky leg?

And I'm so glad you're back!:hug:

Yep, that's the best you can do for him. If it's mites or an infection..... it could cause problems....

Let us know asap ok?

My vet only has short hours on Wed so I can't get him in till tomorrow. Anything I can do for him in the meantime? To make him more comfortable? I read about the sevin dust for mites. I have some ear powder from when my dog had an infection, it's just to help with the itching...but I don't know if it's safe for buns, it says cats & dogs of all ages on the little bottle.

Are there big scabby looking crusts in there too? With mites, there are what looks like big loose scabs, usually along with some redness and irritation.

Just leave it until you get to the vet; it's only one more day

The products for dogs and cats are not the same as for buns.

I'm sorry that your baby is uncomfortable.

Most vets have a number to call in an emergency..possibly you could just call him and talk to him and ask him if there is anything that you could do in the meantime.
I do understand how stressful it is to wait another day to have him treated.

I guess we wait. He is scratching at it, and there is redness on the one side. He can't reach his other ear to scratch it with his crooked leg. There is what looks like crust but not flaking off...hard to discribe. I'm almost positive if it were mites someone else would also have it. We've checked everyones ears and all are clean.

Hope he is fine until tomorrow poor Floppy.

I agree with Angieluv, that you could call and even speak to a tech and ask what you could do until the appointment.

If he is persistent about scratching, you could use a collar like the ones they have for cats and dogs. Maybe a damp warm towel to moistening up the ear.

Well, it is ear mites. My poor baby. They cleaned his ears out, and applied an ointment to them. They also gave him an Ivermectin injection, and sent home some Tresaderm liquid for Ruby's ears, to prevent her from getting it too. He is very unhappy right now but should be feeling better soon!

Anyone have experiance with Tresaderm? Does it work well as a preventative, or should I get Revolution to protect them? (After he heals, and clears out the infection)

IsFlopsy supposed to go back for more injections?

I know that trasaderm is a bunny safe drug but don't know if it is a better preventative than revolution.

Do you have a rabbit knowledgeable vet?

PoorFlopsy had to suffer with ear mites. it should get better fast

Yes, my vet is very rabbit knowledgeable. She didn't say he needed any further injections, just a re-check in 2 weeks to make sure everything cleared up. Do you normally need more than 1 injection? She also put a topical ointment directly on his ears, and instructed me to clean it off tomorrow.

At the shelter the guinea pigsare treated with 1 ivermectin injection for 3 weeks, 1 per week for fur and mange mites.
I am sure that your vet knows what she is doing so I would go ahead and follow the instructions she gave.
If more injections are needed she will know when she sees him again.
i hope that he's more comfortable

Usually only one treatment of Ivermectin is needed although sometimes they need another round of it.

Tresaderm is an antibiotic. I can't really see it preventing ear mites, although it is handy to prevent secondary infections from ear mite bites.

http://www.1800petmeds.com/Tresaderm-prod10218-10218.html

I forget, but you have a dog right? What is he on for fleas and will it prevent mites too?

I'd call and ask about Revolution for Ruby, and to see if Flopsy can have it and/or if he needs to wait a bit before being given another med.

When Eve was a kitten she had the ear mites that wouldn't die! I hate ear mites. hate hate hate

We do have a dog and she is on Frontline, I don't normally treat my cats. They are indoor andhave never had fleas or anything. The doghad ticks once, which was a nightmare. I have never experianced mites before, but I dislike any bugs. Yuck!

I will go ahead and get Revolution for Ruby. I will feel more comfortable that way. They did say Floppy needed to wait, and not to give him any Tresaderm so I'll ask when I take him back in 2 weeks if we can give him Revolution then.

Ruby weighs 12lbs, how much should I give her? Also, I would purchase the cat variety right? Floppy is 6.5lbs, what dosage would you recommend for him? I've read online that they need to be seperated after application to avoid them licking the medication off each other, how long should they be seperated? I guess what I'm asking is how long does it take to dry or soak into the skin?

Buy the Revolutions for kittens (or get it from your vet )
Revolution generically is called selamectin
according to medirabbit the dosage would be 6 mg/kg. applied topically one time.
I still would relate that you plan on doing this to your vet.
I am unsure as to how long to separate a pair...also possibly something to check with your vet.

Back