I'm an accidental rat mommy!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha, Amy! That's probably where I got the name from. Actually, I bought a really cute little Beanie Baby bear-ghost the other day to use as a Halloween decoration. His name is Quivers, but I keep calling him Spook, and I thought it would be a good name for a white rat. The idea likely got into my head because of your rat. I won't use Spook because that was your ratty :)

I think Salem's kind of funny because most Salems are black and this one will be white. Then the moon is white, so Luna's appropriate. I like naming animals, for some reason naming rats is especially fun! Cait, what are the names from that movie?

Oh, no....by all means - please do use Spook, if you like it! Little Spook was only with us for, gosh...a week? before he passed away. It wouldn't hurt my feelings or anything if you used the name. I think Spook is suuuuper fitting for a while rat.

If you are still stuck, then...Tinsel & Glitter?? Hrmmm...here is a site with some "snow names". Some are hard to read, tough, lol: http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/names/snow.htm

There was a Tanis (mummy's daughter), Elsa (Frankenstein's daughter)... I have to Google the others, LOL!

*five seconds later*

Sibella, which was Dracula's daughter, Winnie who was a werewolf, and Phantasma, who was a phantom's daughter. They called her Phanty most of the time.

Edit: Ooo but Tinsel is REALLY cute!!

Great suggestions, you two! I considered naming one of my original ratties Tinsel, but Paul didn't like it for some reason even though he loves tinsel. I've since given up on getting his approval for pet names. Well, if he hates the name I won't use it (which is why Ned is Ned and not Albion or Hamish- awesome names, even if you don't think so, Paul!), and I may ask him if he likes the names, but he doesn't get to veto unless he really hates it. I take care of the pets and they're mine so I get to name them :)

I'm going to go check out that website, Amy! Oh, and I thought of another really obvious one: Autumn. I've always loved that name.

Hmm, I thought of Sophie and Maeve! Not after anything, they're just cute together. Or Franziska and Leonie, which are names used in Austria (I lived in Austria for a year). When I was in Austria, I had a hamster named Leonie. She was the sweetest thing. I don't think a ratty would mind being named after her! Autumn and Salem are pretty cute together too. So many choices!

Haha, or Lucy Fur and Hallie Wynne (Lucifer and Halloween)... We could call them Lucy and Hallie most of the time!

Donna, we just got the photos and I finished resizing them and uploading them! I took about 60 photos, and around 12 turned out. Baby rats are wiggly! There aren't any photos of them together because Paul and I didn't even want to try to keep both of them in the same spot at once. They were running everywhere- the nonpurple baby actually made it to the edge of the kitchen counter and I caught her as she went over the side, in midair :shock2: I'm not at all coordinated, but it's good to know I can pull my act together when necessary, especially considering she went over the edge opposite to the side I was standing on and I couldn't even see what was happening.

So, on to the photos. These first ones are of the baby with the purple marked tail, to be known as Baby A until she gets a name. She's the more laid back one and smaller, and the one that I picked to be a friend for Baby B.

IMG_1598resizedA.jpg

With her friend, Quivers the Beanie Baby bear-ghost. This shows how little she is!

IMG_1602resizedA.jpg

IMG_1609resized.jpg

Another size comparison- I swear she looks bigger than she actually is next to that can!

IMG_1612resizedA.jpg

IMG_1611resized.jpg

Baby B, the tail chasing girl who endeared herself to me at the pet store:

She cuddled against my hand! I'm sure it was partly out of fear, but better than being afraid of my hand, right?

IMG_1614resizedB.jpg

IMG_1616resizedB.jpg

I think this is my favorite picture:

IMG_1619B.jpg

IMG_1620resizedB.jpg

Paul and I are impressed by how not skittish they are. They're obviously a bit nervous, but they aren't afraid of hands and let me pick them up fine. They're less antsy than our 3 girls we bought from Petco back a couple years ago, probably because they're younger.

Well I'm off to take a shower then to bed, seeing as it's almost 3:30! I hope you guys enjoyed! Oh and does anyone have name suggestions now that you can see photos? I had another idea: Havarti and Halloumi. They're both kinds of cheese. Yummy cheese, too! They had their very first taste of cheese tonight and loved it. They even tussled over it! I'm not worried about that though, my girls wrestled all the time and they loved each other :)

:inlove::shock2::faint: imagine the squeaks of delight! they are sooooo cute! one of my beloved ratty boys was a pew. still miss him riding around on my shoulder or chilling out in the pocket of my apron.

i do remember how wriggly they are as babies - and just what good escapologists they can be too:D

they are just way too cute!

I'm stuck on Salem and Tinsel! LOL Although Autumn is suuuuuper cute... Man so many awesome names!!!

They are SO adorable! Little PEW sweeties, awww! They are just dolls!

Cait, I'm considering Autumn and Soraya. Autumn for the bigger girl who chased her tail and Allegra or Soraya for the littler one. Soraya means "princess". The girl who I call my sister (I lived with her family during my year in Austria in high school) suggested Soraya. It isn't really autumny though. I feel like I should get to know the ratlings a bit more before I name them. So far, I know they're sweet girls, they love to play with each other, and they love both cheese AND macaroni and cheese. And one of them likes to chase her tail on occasion :D

Awww! I think Autumn should definitely win! They sould like they are settling in rather well. :)

It usually takes me a long time before I can name anything, haha.

yes snakes do have to eat, but you know what? catch soem wild mice that live in people's houses! LOL. we're having a mouse issue in the apartment we just moved into.
I've fed a rehabbing red tailed hawk frozen mice. we just had to thaw them in hot water for five minutes first, so the whole live mouse thing i thin kcould be gotten around

Oh the baby with the bear is just too cute!! I love ratties when their babies only...their tails freak me out.

I think I have decided upon a name for one of the rats!!! I didn't sleep last night (was working on a project) and finally got to have a nap (that accidentally lasted 6 hours!) at 2:30 this afternoon. As I was falling asleep, I thought of the name Lalita. It's Hindu and means "playful". Lalita was a character in a book I read when I was about 10. I've always thought it was pretty and the meaning is perfect for the rat that was chasing her tail at Petco! Plus the ratties seem to have 3 modes- sleep, eat, play. What do you guys think?

this is how i ended up with all my rats -.- so many. lol

they were all feeders from when i worked at the pet store i fell in love with, one was a momma rat who over time got tumors and they were gonna put her down but i took her. she was great. took in one baby who didnt even have his eyes open...she was such a lover. she would just sit in my lap forever and take in all the love

Brenda, it would be so bad if I worked at a pet store that had feeder rats! Or any rats. I'd end up with a lot of them. Since rats tend to enjoy lots of company, and cages nowadays are really big, it would be so tempting to keep getting another and another...

I'm totally falling for these two little girls. They're so sweet! I don't want to freak them out too much since I've only had them for a couple of days, so I'm only taking them out of their cage once a day for 10-15 minutes at a time for a cuddle. Each day so far I can tell they're getting more comfortable with me. Tonight Purple Girl ran around on my chest, then nestled against me and closed her eyes while I rubbed her ears for a good 10 minutes. I'm actually the one who ended it by putting her back in her cage! Lalita was a bit more nervous and ran from me in the cage, then ran around all over me, but she too settled down with some good ear rubs and closed eyes and stopped shaking. My previous girls were much harder to handle than these two- they never bit, but were definitely not huge fans of physical contact. Even they loved ear rubs and would get over their fear of being touched if ear rubs were involved!

I think in a week or so, these little ones will be pretty much as tame as they could be. That makes me so happy! Also, I think we're going to call Purple Girl Annabelle. I kept accidentally calling her that tonight. It means "lovable" and she certainly is. I've thought about naming every girl pet I've had Annabelle!. I know Annabelle and Lalita aren't the most matchy names ever, but oh well!

Latest posts

Back