I'm an accidental rat mommy!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnowyShiloh

Reaction score
OOPS. Paul said it was okay with him if I went to Petco this afternoon, just to see if the pregnant rat (see my other thread) was still there, and to buy bunny food. The pregnant rattie was gone. The workers there don't know what happened to her. I can only hope someone nice bought her. I wish her all the best.

I decided to go look at the tiny baby girl rats. Petco keeps the tiny girl rats in the same cage that my 3 girl rats came from almost 3 years ago. As I was looking at them, I saw one little girl sitting on the wheel, chasing her tail. It was so cute! She ran around in a circle trying to catch her tail with her tiny paws. Then she caught it and washed it. As I was watching them, 2 guys came over to the cage because they wanted baby rats to feed their snakes. The Petco employee fished out 2 baby girls- it was heartbreaking seeing them be caught because I knew what was going to happen to them :( I had a momentary lapse of judgment and asked for the employee to keep the cage open because I wanted two. He nabbed the little girl who chased her tail for me, and I picked out another. I held them. They're sweet, but scared.

They're SOOOO tiny! Like the size of a really big mouse! So sweet and innocent. I was worried what Paul would say, but I told him right away and he's okay with having them! I didn't mean to buy two rats when I went into Petco, but I did and I have to say I'm really excited about having ratties again :inlove:

I have to go set up their new home, they're still sitting in their cardboard box. I'll try to get photos. They're both PEWs (white with red eyes) and so cute!

Little ones are installed in the cage! I've marked the smaller one with purple Sharpie on her tail. I can tell she's an adventurer, she's running around everywhere and let me cuddle her a bit, and came to my hand in the cage. Her sis is a little more shy but that's okay!

Oh and I've been re-christened into rattie parenthood... Purple girl tinkled on me and pooped on me during our 1 minute long holding session. Hooray!

When I bought my 3 girls a couple years ago, they had some sort of infection and had diarrhea for almost 2 months. We had to go to the vet 3 times just for that. Thankfully, these girls have healthy poop and look great! And did I say TINY yet?!

oh i am sooo jealous id love to be a rattie mommy again. sadly hubby has put his foot down = no more rats in the house.:X

congrats tho' look forward to pics:)

Sadly, as cute as the little rats look, snakes have to eat too.

Congrats on the new additions! I would like to have pet rats sometime. I asked my Dad a couple months ago and he said no and if I got them he would throw them out into the field lol.

Grace, it's true that they have to eat, but what I'm opposed to is feeding live rodents to reptiles. The poor things are terrified. A lot of reptile owners actually consider it to be irresponsible to feed live rodents because the rodents can injure the snake since they're in an enclosed space. It's recommended to feed them frozen (and then thawed of course) rats and mice. To me, freezing them (or gassing them or whatever they do) is much more humane than just tossing them in a tank with a snake. You can buy frozen rodents, I don't think many people buy them live at the pet store and then do it themselves. Maybe if they have a lot of snakes to feed they do, I don't know.

But back to the happy topic at hand, the babies are racing around the cage, digging, eating, drinking and being cute as heck!

Some snakes actually refuse frozen rodents if they weren't fed them from the beginning. I think alot of people breed their own in rack systems, because they are too expensive to buy frozen/live in the pet shops. But yeah off this depressing topic. Have you any names for them yet?

Grace, I've thought of:

Lavender and Sage (both edible plants and both colors, also they're my wedding colors for next summer! Lavender would of course by the girl with the purple marked tail)

Meringue and Marshmallow or one of them and Marzipan

Lacey and Ruby or Lacey and Emma (from the TV show Corner Gas)

Charlotte and Olivia (from Charlotte aka Chuck and Olive, TV show Pushing Daisies- Ned was named after the main character)

Cucumber and _____

Any other ideas? I like the idea of food names. My previous rats were Peppermint Rattie (like Peppermint Pattie), Cranberry Hootycreek (a kind of cookie), Colby Jack (cheese) and Stevie McQueen (Paul named her, not food related!). We almost named Colby Jack Pancakes instead. For some reason I think Pancakes is a boyish name though, even though it's just breakfast food!

Mom said no rats but I do have a mousey :) I would love to have a pair of rats but I now have no room in my room for a cage big enough, haha.

"Grace, it's true that they have to eat, but what I'm opposed to is feeding live rodents to reptiles." Sad thing is they do not just use mice and rats, anything small enough people seem to think is free give to feed to their snakes. Many people just get snakes so they CAN feed animals to them, because "it is cool". *gag*

PICTURES.

irishbunny wrote:
Sadly, as cute as the little rats look, snakes have to eat too.
Yes, but not live. ;)

I don't buy that some refuse and would rather starve to death. That goes against every part of their being and natural instinct. Every Zoo and Wildlife Rehab Clinic I know of doesn't feed live, and many of those snakes are from the Wild.

Anyway, congrats on your new babies! Must see pictures!
I like the names Lacey and Ruby or Charlotte and Olivia.

Erika, I was going to say the same thing you did. If WILD snakes at a zoo or refuge can be taught to eat f/t, so can a captive bred.

Anyway! I can't wait to see pictures. I have a PEW girl too. Her name is Isobel. I love PEWs!

I like the names Charlotte and Olivia. Those are two of my most favorite names. :)

Cait, I'm glad someone else loves PEWs too! I think they're really cute and pretty and special. I would like them even if there were other choices in rat color here :) Isobel is such a pretty name! I try to avoid giving pets my favorite names in case I want to use them for a child later, but I have about 10 favorite names and am only planning on having about 3 kids. Charlotte is one of my favorites too. I like Olivia a lot but I have a cousin with that name so I probably wouldn't name a daughter that.

Everyone passes over the PEWs, but I don't get it. They are so cute! Pink eyes freak people out I guess. You inspired me to post pictures of my rats. :)

LOL! My problem is that I totally use my favorite names... For example, Isobel. I plan on using that for a daughter one day. The bigger problem though is my dog Karly... Another name I really want to use for a daughter, haha.

YAAAY Shiloh is a rat momma again :bunnydance:!!! I want pictures! Oh, you should go hop on GM and sign up for the Holiday Swap, if you can....you can request hammies! I love doing the gift swaps.

I love the names Lavender & Sage. They are adorable for little rattie girls. Now I love the name Sage as a possible name for my new girl bun we are adopting for Morgan (when he picks one!).

Amy, I know you'd be happy! I'm sad about the mama rat- I was totally going to get her if she was there. I think Paul is relieved that I only got 2 rats, versus the 16 I probably would have ended up with if I got the mama.

I'm thinking about joining the holiday swap, I have 803 posts on that forum but I went several months without posting so I don't know if they'll want me to participate yet? I've been in at least 2 other swaps and always was a good gift giver. Hehe, I have lots of hammocks and tunnels and stuff leftover from my previous rats, as well as fabric to make things for them, but for some reason I really like buying them from other people. I bought probably 30 hammocks from Dearpie when the girls (and Colby) were alive! I will of course keep you in mind if I decide to buy some hammocks :)

Oh, got any Halloween themed names? I kind of like the idea since it's almost Halloween. Funny thing is this morning I thought a white rat named Spook would be cute. Maybe Luna and Salem? They aren't smack you in the face Halloween, but sorta! I like Snowy and Frosty too. It finally snowed here yesterday. Fun fact: I originally planned to name my 3 girls Snowy, Frosty and Icy. That's why my username on Goosemoose is Snowy and why my username here is SnowyShiloh! Paul didn't like the names so I didn't use them, but I still like them!

Oooo Salem is really cute!

I'm trying to think of names that relate back to Halloween, but loosely... Are you a fan of Scooby Doo? I loved some of the names they used for the girls in "Scooby Doo and the Ghoul School", which is a movie my son has been wearing out ever since it first aired on Cartoon Network for the Hallween season. DVRs can be a blessing and a curse! LOL

I love the name "Spook"! That was Spice's brothers (RIP) name. I got them last October from an ex coworker, so I wanted "fall-ish" names.

I like buying hammocks from people, too, Shiloh! I also trade hammocks with other hammock makers. When you are ready to buy, I can also give you the names of hammock makers that I have worked with personally & still do :)!

Latest posts

Back