"I'm Allergic"

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kipcha

Reaction score
It seems whenever October/November comes around, we get bombarded by people trying to surrender their rabbits to us (Even though we blatently state that we are a club, not a rescue) and the top 3 excuses seem to be,

1. Allergies. What are the chances that all these people are so brutally allergic to their bunnies?

2. My kids got bored. Okay, so if a parent gets bored of their kid, do they just dump them off at the local shelter? Then why should it be okay for someone to do the same with a bunny.

3. We got a puppy and it tries to attack it/Our dog doesn't like it. Doesn't it occur to them beforehand this could be a possibility? In my experience, it seems pretty easy to tell a dog with high prey drive. And with the puppy, if you've had your bunny for a couple years and you get a puppy, how is it fair that the bunny is the one that gets punted to the curb? But I guess that's how that works.

It just makes me feel ill to come home and have messages on the machine from people trying to dump their rabbits off on us. I guess if anyone here wants a bunny, we have plenty that come through here :X :X :X

/rant.

I never understood it. Sometimes rehoming is really in the best interest of the rabbit, but... Allergies and a new puppy are weak reasons. There are some people who truly do have extreme reactions to their bunnies (though I think it's more often their hay) but it is not that common. At least the lying (or "embellishing") shows they feel somewhat guilty just saying "I don't want him/her anymore". *shrugs*

Hugh was rehomed (to me) after he'd been with his family from 3 months old. He's almost 5. I'm still not entirely sure WHY they felt the need to rehome him, but I suppose I won't complain because he's just perfect for us... But to me it seems after all that time and effort you put into an animal, why rehome it when it's only got a few years left anyway? Is "time" that much of an issue? Dunno.

I only ever rehomed one bunny and that was because she was absolutely terrified of my dog and roommate's cat (they came first) annnd would not come out of her cage due to hating the wood floors. When she went to her babysitters, she was a changed rabbit and would binky around and cuddle with everyone, and they were wanting a rabbit so I let them keep her. It was in her best interest but it wasn't like I got bored of her or was going to get rid of her, but she found a place where she was a better fit and could be happy. I have a dog and rabbit right now and I make it work with the two of them. He usually ignores her and she's overly curious but never left out alone, so it works out.

Yeah, like I said, sometimes rehoming really is in the best interest of the rabbit. I remember a really people aggressive E.Lop I adopted (anyone remember Graham aka Land Shark?!) and he terrified my then wife, and he just wasn't the right fit for us, with small children in the house and a wife who refused to go downstairs if he was out. He did find a wonderful home with a woman who HE adored... With one of our foster girls. :) So in the end it worked out for him (and us).

Most that "re-home" didn't really care for their bunny that much anyway so they we're probably better off. At least some make the effort instead of dumping them at a park or so called "animal shelter". I have asthma, so I know first hand what a severe attack is like. We took back one of our babies that had been placed because of allergies and it was someone we know so it was legitimate. I handle hay with surgical gloves and wear an industrial dust mask. I've always felt that some people should be neutered so they can't pollute the gene pool. Like Cait, some of the "LAME" excuses make me want to go "postal".:banghead

I think the allergic route is a lame excuse. The real excuse is they don't want to deal with the rabbit. I am moderately allergic to my bun, but I love him so much and could never part with him. I will still smother my self in his fur from time to time and suffer the consequences. But giving him up for that reason..unless they are SEVERELY allergic is not a good enough reason for me.

My rabbit has had two homes before me. Not sure why the first home rehomed him, but the person I got the rabbit from had to travel for work. That would not have worked for the rabbit.

When animals come to me they stay with me, unless of course it is in the best interest of the animal to be rehomed. I don't want to ever do that to Harvey. I'd rather he stay with me forever. I think I might be slightly allergic to the hay (timothy) but I deal with it. Harvey's also the reason I won't get a biggish snake, until he is gone (even if I did have room for one). After all he was there first and I'd rather not have him frightened by a snake.

Back