Ikea Kura bed frame

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhianna

Reaction score
I'm (finally) adopting one or two rabbits sometime in the near future, and I've been planning out a cage. I found something that interested me a lot, the cage plan is originally for a dog, but I think that with a few minor changes it would be great for a rabbit or two. Here's the article: http://www.ikeahackers.net/2012/09/the-dog-suite.html

Basically if I don't paint the wood (in case of chewing; the wood comes untreated) and put something on the floor, such as coroplast, linoleum, or tile, it would be completely bunny-safe. I may also add one or two levels, depending on the size/cost of the cage. According to Ikea, the bed frame is for a twin, so it should be a great size: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80253814/

I think it's a cool idea because it's a pretty easy project, it looks nice, it's cheap (kura beds come and go on craigslist all the time for under $100) and it has plenty of room for storage (or sleeping) on top. Let me know what you guys think!

Originally I had that thought too after saving that website. Didn't go for it but it's always on my mind for the future.

Thanks for all the responses! I've decided that I'll definitely be making the cage. I'm moving into a house with a smaller bedroom so I figured that it would fit perfectly underneath a normal height loft bed (I'd be a bit nervous sleeping directly on top of the rabbit cage), with room for storage bins on top. I'll definitely post pictures in another thread when I make the cage!

Oh wow. Those are fantastic ideas! Post it when it's all said and done, please!

Thanks! It won't be done for a while as I'm moving to a new house in the next few months and I won't be building the cage until I'm settled in. I'll definitely share when it's done!

Back