If you had to choose... (so discouraged)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MsBinky

Reaction score
[align=center]Oy, I'm absolutely appalled at the lack of proper feed available for rabbits. The bag I buy is 20$ for 2,5 kg and it's costing us a fortune. Unfortunately, I have narrowed it down to 2 choices. One is what they are on currently, which they absolutely love. All my bunnies are at the desired weight. The other is the plain pellet which doesn't really appeal to me nor the buns at all. I was hoping to buy a large pouch and maybe mix the two feeds but I would like some opinions please.[/align]

[align=center]So if you had to pick between the following 2 or mixing, which would you pick?:[/align]

[align=center]HAGEN RABBIT PELLET[/align]

[align=center]Ingredients:[/align]

[align=center]Dehydrated alfalfa meal, wheat shorts, chopped wheat, soybean meal, calcium carbonate, lignosulfonate pellet binder, salt, magnesium oxide, DL-metionine, choline chloride, colbalt sulphate, ferrous sulphate, zinc oxide, sodium selenite, vitamin E supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, copper sulphate, manganous oxide, folic acid, niacin, calcium pantothenate, vitamin A supplement, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), vitamin D3 supplement, mineral oil, propionic acid, sorbic acid, ground corn cobs.[/align]

[align=center]Guaranteed Analysis:[/align]

[align=center]Crude Protein min 16%[/align]

[align=center]Crude fat min 2.0%[/align]

[align=center]Crude fibre min 14% max 16%[/align]

[align=center]Moisture max 12%[/align]

[align=center]Calcium min 0.9%[/align]

[align=center]Phosphorous min 0.5%[/align]

[align=center]Sodium min 0.3%[/align]

[align=center]Magnesium min 0.3%[/align]

[align=center]Vit. A min 12,000 IU/kg[/align]

[align=center]Vit. D3 min 1,200 IU/kg[/align]

[align=center]Vit. E min 24 IU/kg[/align]

[align=center]Oh yeah and the bag reads "Ample fresh Hagen Rabbit Pellets should always be readily available to satisfy the dietary demands of the pet." *Sighs*[/align]

[align=center]PRESTIGE CUNI INDOOR NATURE[/align]

[align=center]Ingredients:[/align]

[align=center]Derivatives of vegetable origin, cereals, vegetables (min10%), seeds, yeast, minerals, extr. yucca Schidigera, vitamins.[/align]

[align=center]Contents:[/align]

[align=center]14 % Protein[/align]

[align=center]3.0% Crude fat[/align]

[align=center]15.5% Fibre[/align]

[align=center]6.4% Ash[/align]

[align=center]1% Calcium[/align]

[align=center]0.5% Phospherous.[/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center]So anyway, I know that we are not supposed to feed our buns fancy mixes and all that. Just I started it before joining on here and I have been having great results with it and I am always happy with the quality itself. However, my conscience has been telling me to try and find a different feed. I have looked in so many places and tried soooooo many in the past that I narrowed it down to these two. Any thoughts? I'm getting really discouraged here. I wish I could just make my own. :grumpy:[/align]

I hate to say this but neither one looks too good because the protein is too high and fiber is too low in both of them.

I really couldn't make a choice but may be get the one withe lowest protein and make sure your rabbits have a lot of hay .

I changed my mind because I asked this question once about some feed store pellets and remeber whatAngela told me,...The1st one has recognizable food sources in it like alfalfa and soybeans..the2nd has absolutely no info at all...so I would pick hagens

I wonder if there is a way to suppliment the diet without having to give as much of the pellet, but still remain healthy.

I, too, would pick the Hagens. It is just so low in fiber, though.

Can you get a feed store or a pet store to order in some Oxbow or something?

No that's all that is available here :?There's a weird pellet available at a feed store. It's really expensive and it's round, looks like their poop. However, when I tried it the bunnies were always starving and would go crazy plus they started losing weight so I stopped it right away. I'm really disappointed.

The problem with the Hagen is that it's real dusty and makes me nervous. I dunno. I really don't know what to feed them anymore. They love the second feed but it's just costing so darn much... They have more info but it's neither french nor english :?

Even finding decent hay is tough. :?Poor bunnies...

Leaf, that's what I have been doing. I have been gradually reducing the amount of pellets they are on and hope to try and make it a more "natural" diet and use the pellets as a supplement. I am really not satisfied with the feed here. I am just scared that they may lack something that I don't know about?

Oh btw... I had looked into purchasing it online but it just costs waaaaay too much to ship. :grumpy:

Well, if they are doing great on the stuff that they are on now, then I would leave them on it until a better food comes along :). Just decrease the pellets and add in more veggies, if you want to do it a more natural way.

As for the dust. Go to the store and buy a big mesh strainer. Start pooring the pellets into the strainer and sift out all the dust. You might want to do this outside :p. I do this with my Oxbow when I get down to the bottom of the container.

You can also order Oxbow straight from the Quebec distributor:

Corico, Inc.

Servicing Quebec and Eastern Provinces
Succursale N.D.G
C.P. 306
Montreal, Quebec H4A 3P6
Phone: 514-865-5328
Fax: 450-226-5355
Email: [email protected]

http://www.corico.ca/oxbow.html/

The website says to call customer service to purchase products.

Oxbow is the way to go, and it is available in Montreal.

;)

That's interesting. I can't pick it up however. I will contact them and see if they deliver. Never know. I have google'd it before but never found that :?Thanks so much!

Ah, I just saw that they ship by post. Ok I get it now... Cool. Thanks so much! MrBinky and I are discussing it now. ;)

If that's too pricey, ask your local feed and pet stores what brands they can get from their middleman. They might be able to get something to you for little or no shipping fee if you pick it up at their store since it could just get shipped with their regular orders. I know my local pet store regularly gets special orders for cat and dog food, including from me. Why not for rabbits?

If you go this route, post about what brands are available and we'll help you choose one. Some of the breeder-type pellet brands also have "maintenance" pellets for non-breeding adults. They tend to have less protein and more fiber and are a good bet if all your buns are adults. Two brands of that type that I can get locally are PenPals (Kent) and Heinhold.

I have been doing that for months but the only feed I found was Hagen in bulk which costs about 70-80$ for 50lbs. *Shrugs*

Thank you for the help though. I will see how much the shipping is with the Oxbow and talk with Mario.

I feed a "maintenance pellet" to my guys. It is a 12% protein pellet I buy from my local feed store, 40 pounds is $9. It lasts my four about 2-3 months. The brand is Proform, but there are lots of other brands too.

Good luck with which ever pellets you end up going with.

--Dawn

Latest posts

Back