If I wanted to switch from Oxbow Basic T - would any of these be okay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tweetiepy

Reaction score

This - Petsmart - is about the only place I can get bunny food (except for the bulk barn that sells pellets of unknown origin - I think they're corn based)

I can get 10 lb bags of Oxbow pellets from Montrealcritters but it costs about $17.99 + $9.99 shipping for an order. I see that some of you buy purina brand or other brands but I don't see any of those on the Petsmart.ca site. I used to feed the Nutriphase pellets which are alfalfa based (I removed the orange bits and fed them as treats only). But they eat a lot of Timothy hay and they only get about 1/4 cup of pellets per day each (split in 2 portions). Do any pellets on this page look okay to feed? The Oxbow is very expensive, it does last quite some time but I've already gone through 30 pounds since September - I'm looking for a more inexpensive alternative. The Oxbow 5 lb bag is pretty expensive too at $12.99 at Petsmart. I'm planning on maybe going to the store, but I always feel rushed cuz the kids are always running all over - this incluses the big kid I married - he's the worst.

http://www.petsmart.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2769315&f=Taxonomy%2FPET%2F2769315&numResultsPerPage=192&lmdn=Pet+Type&f=PAD%2FPet+Type+1%2FRabbit&fbc=1&fbn=Pet+Type+1%7CRabbit&fbx=0 -

Is anything on this site worth purchasing? - Should I switch brands? I still have about 20+ lbs left to go through before switching, but I thought I'd look into it. Could I feed the alfalfa brand since they get so little? I had a bag of alfalfa hay and they get a pinch as a treat once in a while - could I give them more without consiquence?

An alfalfa pellet would be just fine and I much prefer them to timothy pellets when you're already feeding a timothy hay.

I don't know much about the brands on your link and have not used any of them before though so I can't say too much about those.

Does your local Petsmart carry Oxbow? While you might only be able to get the 5 pound bag, it can still be cheaper to get 2 of those than pay for the shipping on the lower prices 10 pound bag. The store might be willing to bring in some 10 pound bags if you ask.
Are there any other pet stores in your area or within a reasonable drive? Many stores now carry Oxbow. You can call them and ask before you take the drive, most would be willing to hold a bag or 2 for you for a couple days if needed. I find that smaller stores tend to be cheaper. A couple stores near me sell the 10 pound bag for $14.99 while Petland has it for $20 (it was $30 until a couple months ago).

If Oxbow is out of the question due to the price, you aren't going to find much that is cheaper without going to a feed store. You could try the Carefresh food, Mazuri or the Kaytee timothy food.

You could also try cutting costs in other places. I buy hay in bales which saves a ton compared to pet store hay. I use wood pellets for litter which is cheap if you go to a feed store for them.
I have 2 rabbits on Oxbow and 2 on a feed store brand. I can justify some higher costs because I save in other places. You don't need to sacrifice quality either, the hay I get is better than some pet store stuff.

You can get your vet to order a 50 lb bag of oxbow for you along with their order and they won't charge you for shipping that way.

Bluesmaven wrote:
You can get your vet to order a 50 lb bag of oxbow for you along with their order and they won't charge you for shipping that way.

I like that idea - I wonder if they'd do that?

I tried getting a bale from a farmer - it was $5 but it had lots of alfalfa in it too - it was for horses, but the guy never reconnected or called back so I ended up getting the Oxbow 50 lb box - which I think is fabulous and it smells heavenly. But I'd like to try the bale guy again - I figure if they hate it, I only lost $5. I like the idea of asking the vet to order the food... gonna call tomorrow...

I have a weird question...If alfalfa hay too high in calcium to feed your rabbits, then how is a commercial rabbit feed that is made with alfalfa meal and added calcium ok?

This is just one of those weird questions because I have read several places that you should not give your rabbit alfalfa hay but it is the base of most rabbit foods (Oxbow excepted)

CCWelch wrote:
I have a weird question...If alfalfa hay too high in calcium to feed your rabbits, then how is a commercial rabbit feed that is made with alfalfa meal and added calcium ok?

The reason it is generally recommended to feed a grass hay instead is based on the assumption that you're already feeding an alfalfa-based pellet. Combining an alfalfa-based pellet with alfalfa hay is just too much calcium.

Back