If doe is preg can you leave male in same pen with her?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunny Mum

Reaction score
Our dwarflop had a stillborn (pencil Kit i think?) 2 weeks ago.

The doe is healthy and her vent looked clear so from advice i had read on here, a few days ago we put the two back together again.

Obviously he tries his luck with her regularly and she may be preg but she may not? Can we leave the male in with her until she pulls fur and we know she is definetly showing sign s of pregnancy ie: building nest??

Please let me know as obviously we would be most upset for her not to have a succesful litter.

P.S. Our dwarflops are very similar in size and are both 8 months old.

P.S.S Am not a breeder all babies will be kept by us l& ovingly cared for

Generally you mate your rabbits up a couple of times but as soon as they mate you remove them to their own hutches. You can do this 2 or 3 times but each time you see them do the deed check that he caught her then remove them to seperate pens.

You should remove them once you have mated them and not put them back together again while your female is pregnant.
Just count out your 31 days and wait and see. If she hasnt taken you can do the same as you have done this time.

You have to remember that rabbits have 2 uterine horns so she could thoretically get pregnant with 2 seperate litters at once if they are not seperated which is tough on the doe.

Females can also get territorial during their pregnancy, and you don't want the two rabbits to fight and get injured. This CAN happen even if they have gotten along famously up until now.

In addition, since you will have no way to know exactly when the doe became pregnant, you won't know when she is ready to kindle. Not surprisingly, it is a very "private" time for her...some will even hold off giving birth which can cause still born litters. If kits are born, does will often injure them if they feel threatened. It's not just "bad" mothering....it's their nature, and probably a defense mechanism to ensure their own survival.

Please remove the buck!

Latest posts

Back