Ideas to curb this behavior?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stone_family3

Reaction score
Blossom (unknown breed and about 16 weeks old) has recently moved in (about 4 weeks ago). She's a great and well behaved bunny, but recently she's taken to trying to chew on our pant legs and shoes while we're wearing them. She is out of the cage for about 6-10 hours a day depending and she is confined to the kitchen.

She has chew blocks and we play with her a lot, but what else can I do to stop this new behavior?

I'm not sure, but it could be the start of hormonal behavior. Some vets will spay when the rabbit is under 6 months old, but some want to wait until then, when the rabbit is larger.

Hmm she's still not large and it's very expensive to get rabbits fixed in our area. I've had other rabbits and they never had this issue. Thanks though I'll bring it up to the vet.

I also think it sounds hormonal. Some buns seem to be more affected than others. My Sapphire is such a spitfire, I can't even imagine what her behavior would be like if she hadn't been spayed. :hyper:

It could just be behavior related cause rabbits just like to chew on things, or she's trying to get your attention and she's decided that's the best way to do it. You could try redirecting her to something else like a chew toy or some other object that she's allowed to chew on. I'll also clap my hands loudly and tell my buns 'no'(doesn't work with all rabbits), or gently move their head away with my hand. If she's doing it to get your attention, you want to catch her doing a desired behavior and reward her for that.

To stop it you could squirt her with some water. I have a squirt bottle that I use on my rabbits and cat fairly regularly (I have naughty animals). JBun also had some really good ideas.

It's probably just because they like to chew...on anything...skin included. LOL I have a litter, 4 weeks old, and they chew on us all the time. Their mother chews on our clothes and stuff, and if you don't pet her when she starts she'll then start digging on you. LOL

Unfortunately, like people, some bunnies are more hormonal than others....we have had several does and one was very similar to what you are describing. She was not fixed as she was one of my daughter's show bunnies. It is too bad spays are very expensive in your area....spaying would greatly help the hormonal issue and is better for them healthwise! Good luck!

Latest posts

Back