Ideas for a quick and easy shelter for a stray bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lurky

Reaction score

Hello,

There is a bunny living in my front yard. He spends most of his time huddled in a corner next to my house. He’s under a bush, but the leaves have fallen off and it provides no cover at all. I’m not sure what he will do when it gets colder and the snow begins to fall. I’d like tomake a shelter and put it near his area or even under the front steps which would provide even more shelter and are only 6 feet away. I’m not sure what would be best, I’m thinking about a thick cardboard box wrapped in a plastic trash bag to keep wind and water out, or maybe a plastic bin and I‘d cut an opening for him. Is the smell of plastic off-putting to rabbits? Anyone have an ideas?

Thanks

I guess it depends how much you want to do. How close to him can you get before he hides or runs away? How big a rabbit is it compared to a wild rabbit? I assume it's an escaped pet rather than a wild rabbit.

Whatever you put out there, you might put it close to where he huddles now & then move it slowly to under the porch. I'd go with a plastic bin. Rabbits are fine with it & they chew on cardboard. Besides an opening to get in & out of, they like another smaller one opposite it to keep track of their surroundings. Line it with any old blankets or other heavy cloth that you might have.

I'm sure other people will be able to add to this as well.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.

i agree with the plastic bin idea and blankets anything for warmth to insulate you could use bubble wrap on the outside, maybe leave some food out for him and ask your neighbours if they have lost a bunny xxx :bouquet:welcome xxx

Make sure the box has 2 entrances, bunnies don't like to be trapped in. Is it a wild bunny like a cottontail? Or a abandoned bunny? Why not call animal control?

I'd guess the entrances should be small holes, I guess bunnies must like them this way, to feel safer? If it's a plastic box, you can cover it with a lot of cardboard and/or blankets to make it warmer and more comfortable, I guess their feet can slip if stepping on plastic. Putting some banana chips inside wouldn't hurt if you want to make a new friend :)

All things mentioned before are cool, but I guess if you're wrapping with bubble wrap or soft plastic of any kind, you should cover it with something else, just so that the bunny doesn't accidentally chew the plastic.

Maybe you can also put some fresh water for him/her.

I'd make 2 of the shelter boxes, just in case... and I wouldn't call animal control unless the temperature gets too extreme - who knows if animal control won't kill the bunny? If they treat animals well, maybe that's ok.. but I'd try to get the bunny for me.
:hearts

Latest posts

Back