I'd appriciate your prayers..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On that note I am afraid I am kind of inclined to agree. I think the breeder will decide to "cull" Charlie and is maybe just telling you this so that you don't feel guilt or panic. I would get the blood work done and find another vet first. Some of us have had to take our bunnies to a couple of vet before we found one that was willing to work with us. Get a list of approved vets in your area or go on line with the forum and see if anyone knows of a vet that is "more bunny wise"in your area. To send a bunny back that you have had for 2 1/2 months without blood work seems a little harsh ( sorry ), I know that you are new to this so could you not work with the breeders vet, maybe she would assume some of the bloodwork or swab costs as it is important to her herd what the results were. Could she agree to work with you and help you through this process. Sorry not trying to be judgmental, but I agree you have no guarantees that the next bunny is healthy even from another breeder as pets and bunnies get sick. She is just so cute and loveable I would hate to see you make a mistake.

To tell the truth, I thought similarly to Alma: that the breeder may take Charlie back and then kill her. It does seem odd that a breeder would urge you to return a rabbit after 2 1/2 months and then plan to spend lots of money on its care while potentially exposing the rest of their herd to the illness. Would it be possible for you to take her to the same vet the breeder uses?

I'm trying not to hurt your feelings or anything, but I can't imagine returning my sweet bunny after 2 1/2 months, ill or no. Yes, your bunny died recently which is very, very tough, but Charlie needs you now. 3 years ago, we had a Holland Lop that was sick from the day we got her and died a mere 4 1/2 months later. I spent a lot of money on her vet care, worried about her lots, and fell completely in love with her during that brief time. Even then there's no way anyone could have convinced me to willingly part with her.

Also, what exactly about her condition makes you think you would need to have her put to sleep soon? A runny nose does not warrant euthanization. How is she getting worse?

Big hugs for you, I hope you and Charlie get through this together and Charlie gets all better with competent vet care!

I agree with Shiloh, a runny nose is not reason to put her to sleep. It could be allergies, especially if she has itchy ears. Possibly she is allergic to the hay, bedding or litter.I too hope that you can work this out. Hope you don't think that we are all bullying you.

Now that everyone's had a hay day with thinking I don't like my bunny or something...

I have time on the computer, to explain hopefullya bit better;)

First of all, I do trust this breeder. I feel very confident, after many emails and phone calls with her that she has the interest of the bunny in mind. She isn't like alot of the other breeders I have talked to about Pasteurella who just say to cull that bunny. I wouldn't send her back if I didn't feel confident in how she would care for Charlie.

I really hate to send her back-its literally ripping me apart. But also, my parents just spent hundreds and hundreds on my last bun, who died. They haven't seen any improvment and hate to spend more when the vet is telling us there's no hope of her getting better. I do realize you all feel I need a new vet- That may be the case. But frankly Char's just getting worse and i need to make a decision. My parents would do the culture/bloodwork if they feel there's a chance of recovery, but I don't think they feel that way now. She continues to have itchy ears, lots and lots of sneezing, clear and white gook from her nose, raspy breething and as of today, gunk in her eye. She just continues to get worse.

I don't feel its allergies, as I've tried removing hay, and she didn't have the yesterday's news until recently.. She had this from the get go when I bought her ( In a different state even!). ( I didn't realize the sevarity of a runny nose in a bunny..)

I really want you guys to all understand this: I DO care alot alot ALOT about this bunny. I wouldn't send her back if I had any way about it.. I just feel that she'll have a much better chance with the breeder caring for her.
I just talked to the breeder again several times today and in about a month, I'll be up there and have a chance to go to the breeders again and see how Char is doing at that point.

I don't think people were having a hay day. We don't have fun hurting people's feelings or dog piling on them for no reason. Believe me, the replies to this post could have been MUCH more hurtful, but thankfully our members are nice :) Wouldn't be here if they weren't! Also, no one thinks you don't like your bunny. We just didn't have enough info to go on and can't help but compare your situation to situations we have been in.

I'm glad you gave a bit more info now :) The fact that you still live with your parents complicates matters. I thought you were an adult on your own. It's so much harder when you're still with your parents and having them pay because you basically have to do whatever they tell you to do and are at their mercy :(

You gave more info about the breeder too and the fact that she's been in contact with you so much is comforting. I was under the impression that she just offered to take Charlie back, which raises red flags for me.

I guess you have to do what you decide is best. Try to convince your parents to let you keep Charlie and earn as much money as you can to pay for her vet care? Or give her back to the breeder and get a new bunny instead...

Sorry Charlie's mom, but we we not trying to bully you or be hurtful. I agree with Shiloh that being in the situation that you are makes things very difficult. I am relieved that the breeder has been in contact with you and will continue to be once she gets Charlie back and that you will be keeping an eye on Charlie's progress. Sorry for any hurt feelings, that was not our intention, I guess we were all a little over protective not realizing that you had already confirmed the breeder that she had Charlie's best interest at heart. Keep us posted would you as to Charlies progress.
Any sorry for any hurt feelings.

ahh its ok. I should have explained better to begin with. I've been very busy with trying to even sort all this out in my *own* mind and come to grips with the fact that I can't keep m little bunny. :cry2 Pretty hard after losing my long time bunny pal in the spring-I was expecting I'd have this one for her whole 7-8+ years as well.

I can understand that. It is very hard to lose a bunny pal and then have your hopes up and nothing seems to work out. We will pray that you are able to find a new bunny friend to fill that hole and that the breeder takes really good care of Charlie.

I thought i could trust the breeder i got Jean-luc from too. But it turns out that she knowingly gave me a rabbit infected with coccidia, which he died from but not before infecting my other rabbit. I would never have guessed she would be capable of doing something like that because we got on very well and spoke for a month prior to me getting him, and kept in contact afterwards, though less frequently. Turns out you can't always be 100% sure about anyone. I know that the next bunny i get, i will be doing background research on the breeders before i decide to get one from them.

But in regards to you getting a replacement, do you think that's a wise choice? Because all bunnies get sick, it's going to happen sooner or later and if your parents aren't willing to take on the financial burden, then what's going to happen to the next rabbit if it gets sick?

Just thought i would give you something to think about. I know they are such cute little munchkins but if your parents aren't willing to cover the expenses when they are sick and to try to get them healthy again, then how is it going to be different with the next one?

Well, my parents are willing to pay for stuff with the bunny-they just don't feel like its something that's treatable, from everyone they've talked to..we have several close friends who used to breed bunnies ( and for a long time..) and they recomended culling bunnies that have it before they get too miserable. my parents aren't going to make me put Char to sleep or anything, or even give her back..but I don't really have much of a choice if she's continuing to get worse. The breeder has things like Penicillin she can give herself, which our vet won't do. I think it gives Charlie a much better chance if someone has other things they can do to treat her. I've been to this breeders house and am very confident she'll takes good care of her buns. I've met and talked to *lots* of breeders, and really, this one isn't really the same. I sensed it when I was at her house the first time. She isnt the kind of person who'll cull a bunny because it sneezes. If there's anything to be done for it, she's willing to try. And I applaud that. :biggrin2:

Also, we have another bunny and I'm quite worried she'll get this if I keep both bunnies.

As for getting another bunny, I'm going to wait and see how Charlie's doing in a month and then look at another bunny depending.

The only other HRS recomended vet that's anywhere near me, is like an hour and somethingaway..which my parents finda little insane to be constantly be taking trips back and forth that far, proabably like at least once a week...and I don't feel Charlie would do wellgoing that long in the car. =P Usually after a 10 min. ride to our normal vet, she tries to kill the vet when Char comes out of the carrier, and she's all freaked out.

If you and the breeder can come to an agreement that if Charlie is better in a month and you can take her back that would be terrific. That is also a guarantee that she is not going to pull a fast one on you when you leave her. I know that you love her and are doing what you feel is best for her, it would be nice to be able to get her back. It just seems suspicious that Charlie had a runny nose from the start and she was willing to sell the rabbit like that. Sorry I don't want to upset you like yesterday, you seem very caring and I am just looking out for your best interests. You said you just changed her to yesterday news recently, what did you or the breeder use before this, and the hay is it alfalfa ( that can be really dusty without you realizing it ). Any little bits of alfalfa hay get Benjamin frantically scratching his ears. I would take a long look at the rest of her herd while I was there. Good luck we will be thinking about you and Charlie, be firm about what you expect and want for Charlie. At this point you are her mom and responsible for her. Charlie is depending on you.

Before that, Charlie had a cage with wire on the bottom ( carpet over 3/4 of it) and she eats Orchard Grass hay and Timothy Hay. There was a tray underneath with corncob bunny bedding. The breeder kept her in an all wire cage and I don't remember what bedding was in the tray under it..I don't remember looking...
I'm not sure exactly which hay the breeder was giving her.
Yes, the breeder will update me on how Char's doing. And I'll keep in touch-I"ll be worried sick otherwise :p .

I know exactly what your saying and understand all you're guys concern with the breeder taking her back. I do know breeders who would do this exact thing and recomend 'putting a pasteurella bunny out of its misery' but I'm pretty confident this breeder has Char's best in mind. Thank you all for praying for me and her! I can't tell you how much I appriciate it. :)

Must be a very difficult night for you. Just like lossing your bunny pal all over again. Did the breeder say anything to you when you were there, as to what she felt was wrong with Charlie? Have any of the rest of her rabbits got the same thing? Keep a close eye on Taffy, but I am sure she will be okay. Best of luck.

Yes, it is like losing my last bunny all over again. It does help though that I know she's able to try different things and that I'm not putting the bunny to sleep. Without giving the bunny back though, like I said, our vet says we'd just leave her with a runny nose and she'd be 'fine'. Aren't any HRS rabbit recomended vets in my area except for over like an hour away..

Well, the breeder said it could be possibly Pasteurella, or allergies ( which we ruled out after she asked about the hay bedding etc.) or another infection like Bordatella etc., Respritory infection. She has several things she'd like to try that I don't have. And her vet sounds pretty good and easy to work with-she said she hasn't noticed these symptoms in her other rabbits, except like 3 years ago 2 of them had something with symptoms like this. She did bloodwork & cultures, coming back as negative to Pasteurella, and her vet gave Baytril for several weeks, which it cleered up without it ever coming back.

Well i hope everything works out for the best, and Charlie makes a full recovery. I'm glad you're not giving up on her just yet and giving her time to get well again before making the decision to exchange her. ^.^

Thank you all for your prayers and kind thoughts. Charlie went home with the breeder's daughter who picked her up last night :in tears:and I'll keep you all updated on how Chalrie's doing as I get updates.

Yep, I'm confident they'll take great care of her. She seemed pretty hopeful and positive about being able to get Charlie better. :)

Today's job includes cleaning out the bunny cage :cry2 to get rid of the Pasteurella bacteria or whatever, so it isn't still there lurking to get our other bunny sick.

Make sure you use bleach or an approved antibacterial soap ( you can check with a pet shop about that one ). Hug you other rabbits and please post a picture of them so that we can see just how cute they are. Will be checking on you on a regular basis, just to confirm that you are doing alright in this transistion period.Can you give us a better idea of where you are located, maybe someone on line can help with vet ideas or even be a support group for you. My nearest RO member is Calgary or Vancouver, but at least I know that they are there, of course the rest of the great, wonderful and caring group are just a keyboard away.

Back