i was so worried!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canela_2004

Reaction score
Last night when i went to give Kahlua her pellets she seemed lethargic and not interested at all. I took her temperature and it was lower than normal. I tried giving her a piece of apple, carrot, celery, even oatmeal and she was not having any of it. I immediately thought of stasis and made a blended mix of pellets and warm water and syringe fed her about 25 cc. I cleaned out her litter box so I could notice if she had pooped or not and went to bed, setting my alarm clock for 3 hours later to check on her. She was still not improved after the 3 rd hour so I fed her a little bit more and massaged her tummy for a while. The next time I checked on her she had pooped and had nibbled on the veggies so I gave her more. This morning when I woke up she was eating hay, eating pellets, and had pooped normally. She has gotten sick before and I thought I was keeping on top of things but I am worried that she will get sick again. She is acting normally today and eating and drinking and pooping great. Is there anything else i can do to prevent this? Also, I wanted to order some Critical care to have on hand, do I need to have a vet phone my order in or can I do it?

Hi,

We have rabbits do that all the time. We don't get overly concerned unless they don't eat for a couple of days. The thing to do with stasis is have a well thought out plan...in advance. I try to get across to people that you can do too much. The thing to doinitially is to steady the ship. When you panic and start force feeding this and that....it addsstress and can make things worse. Our first response to stasis is always a nice leafy green such as romaine lettuce and especially dandelion greens. Usually the hydration in the greens and getting them moving around will take care of things. And sometimes they just get a little gas. And this would be a good time to review your husbandry protocols just to make sure she is getting a low protein/high fiber diet.

And another word of warning....be on the outlook for possible mycotoxins....mold in the hay or pellets. With the wacky weather during the baling season, it's only a matter of time before this menace shows it's face. And the initial symptoms are much like stasis but quickly cascade downward.

As far as Critical Care, if you order it directly from Oxbow they will ask questions about vet care....and that is one thing I can give props to Oxbow about. Critical Care is an excellent product. You can't order it online....you have to talk toa representative at Oxbow. It comes in two flavors.....original anise and apple/banana. It is much more economical to but the one pound tubs as it can be frozen.

Im so glad shes ok!

I would suggest buying some simethicone to keep on hand. Thats always my first line of defense if I suspect gas. Its also good to keep canned pumpkin (100% pure) and pedialyte on hand as well.

As for the critical care, its great but very pricey when its essentially the same as ground up pellets. I prefer just to save money and do like you did with the pellets.

:)

Nutri-Cal is meant to get your bun trying to move if in gas/stasis situation, and this stuff has the nutrients to do that, which is why it's recommended. It's gets them up and hopefully, eating:).

Just for your information for future reference, here's the info on NutriCal:):

(Note: Instructions are for a cat. Note weights as well.)

[align=justify]Ingredients[/align]
[align=justify]Corn Syrup, Soybean Oil, Malt Syrup, Cod Liver Oil, Cane Molasses, Methylcellulose, Water, Peptones, dl-Alpha tocopheryl Acetate (Vit. E), Sodium Benzoate (Preservative), Manganese Sulphate, Iron Peptonate, Thiamine HCl, Nicotinamide, Calcium Pantothenate (source of Calcium and Pantothenic Acid), Magnesium Sulphate, Pyridoxine HCl, Vitamin A Palmitate, Potassium Iodide (Source of Iodine and Potassium), Riboflavin 5' Phosphate Sodium (Source of Vit. B2 and Phosphorus), Vitamin A Palmitate & D3 Concentrate, Folic Acid and Cyanocobalamin (Vit. B12).[/align]

[align=left]
Guaranteed analysis per teaspoon (6 grams)[/align]
[align=justify]Crude Protein (Min) 1.5%[/align]
[align=justify]Crude Fat (Min) 4.5%[/align]
[align=justify]Crude Fibre (Max) 3.7% [/align]
[align=justify]Moisture (Max) 14%[/align]
[align=justify]Calories (Calculated) 30 [/align]
[align=justify]Calcium (Min) (0.0026%) 0.16 mg[/align]
[align=justify]Calcium (Max) (0.0033%) 0.20 mg[/align]
[align=justify]Phosphorus (0.0006%) 0.03 mg[/align]
[align=justify]Iron (0.0088%) 0.53 mg[/align]
[align=justify]Iodine (0.0088%) 0.53 mg[/align]
[align=justify]Magnesium (0.0067%) 0.42 mg[/align]
[align=justify]Manganese (0.0176%) 1 mg[/align]
[align=justify]Potassium (0.0027%) 0.16 mg[/align]
[align=justify]Vitamin A 1045 IU[/align]
[align=justify]Vitamin D3 0 IU[/align]
[align=justify]Vitamin E 6 IU[/align]
[align=justify]Vitamin B1 (Thiamine HCl) 2 mg[/align]
[align=justify]Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 0.2 mg[/align]
[align=justify]Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine HCl) 1 mg[/align]
[align=justify]Vitamin B12 2 mcg[/align]
[align=justify]Folic Acid 0.2 mg[/align]
[align=justify]Nicotinamide 2 mg[/align]
[align=justify]Pantothenic Acid 2 mg

[/align]
[align=justify]Instructions for Use
[/align]
[align=justify]When the animal's caloric or nutritional intake is to be supplemented, give 1½ teaspoons per 10 pounds of bodyweight daily. When animal is not consuming full feed ration, give 3 teaspoons (1 tablespoon) per 10 pounds bodyweight daily. Calorie Content: 4420 kcal/kg (26.5kcal/6g).
[/align]
[align=justify]Nutri-Cal is extremely palatable. To acquaint the animal with the flavour, place a small amount of Nutri-Cal in the animal's mouth. To provide supplemental caloric and nutritional intake in dogs and cats. Provides an added source of energy for hunting and working dogs. Contains Omega-6 and Omega-3 Fatty Acids.[/align]

She is acting better but is still not 100% her normal self. I am going to have the vet check her out tomorrow when I go to work just in case something else is going on. Thanks for all the replies!

Back