I want to bond two buns: 3yr neutered male, and 7mo female. Any help would be appreciated <3

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FoggyForest

Reaction score
So my family's pet rabbit is very well trained. He poos in the litterbox, he is very sweet, he doesn't bite, and he comes when we call him. His name is Bandit. He is a 3yr old, neutered male. He was separated from his wife and his ten kids about 2yr ago, which is when he became ours. We know how to keep him, but we aren't sure how we will bond him with his grandchild, who recently came to our house with her brother. We will rehome the brother with a family that wants him, but we will keep the female here. She's not spayed, 7mo old. Not sure what to do, thank you!
🐇

I believe you should spay the female first. I see no reason not to if she's in good health and it will help reduce the risk of getting certain types of cancers and lower territorial and hormonal behaviours :)

Post-spaying I'd wait a month or two until she's fully healed and then start the bonding proccess.
I recommend starting out by housing the rabbits in pens side by side so they can see each other, and then slowing introduce them in a neutural environtment.

And to answer you question about humping, yes, rabbits will do this even when they are fixed as it is how they figure out their hiearchy :)

My family thinks we should bond them, and then spay her. I want to spay first, but they say that they won't, because we might give away the girl if it doesn't work out. I don't know why they wouldn't spay her yet 🤨

My family thinks we should bond them, and then spay her. I want to spay first, but they say that they won't, because we might give away the girl if it doesn't work out. I don't know why they wouldn't spay her yet 🤨
I don't think that's a good idea to bond and then spay.
Bonding will go much more smoothly if you spay before since the will be less territorial/hormonal behaviours done.
If you spay her after, you're going to need to seperate them (given that they do bond) while she heals, and then you may have to restart the bonding proccess since spaying a rabbit can change their personality slightly.

Latest posts

Back