I think we are going to rehome Miss Emma...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for your kind words. It really means a lot.

If anyone finds someone who may be interested in trying to rehab her and teach her to be a nice bunny and not think that people are going to eat her, let me know. I emailed her former owner this morning and let her know what is going on and if she would take her back (I did that BEFORE I posted on here).

I will keep everyone updated. :(

I have nippy buns. Around their cages are solid panels so that no one can get to anyone.

Old cage...

100_8192.jpg

All my cages in the play area have that. No one can get to anyone.

TinysMom wrote:
Seven? I knew Sam was aggressive...(I almost said "mean") but who else?
Fosters.

Good luck with Emma...I think she is lucky to have you, even though she is not entirely happy about Toby.

I remember reading a House Rabbit article on aggressive bunnies...don't know if that article has suggestions you have not tried yet...

Does can be very territorial about their space...hence, when bunnies are bred in the rabbitry, the doe goes to the buck's cage... if the buck were to appear in her cage, most does would shred the buck.

Best wishes...

Denise

I am kind of in the same spot you are. I have thought of getting rid of Little Bunny because she has gotten so mean towards Chase and I. Chase is my heart bunny and he runs up to Little Bunny's cage and Little Bunny grunts and tries to bite him. They were bonded for over 3 years. It breaks my heart and Chase's. I will tell you some things I have done over the last 4-6 weeks that helped me.

I also thought I couldn't have 2 cages. I had to move my end tables. I can't get in to my one bathroom now. I thought it would be awful. The only reason I built the NIC cage was because once Chase recovered from surgery she wanted more room. So I made the 2nd cage until I decide what I was going to do with Little Bunny. Now about a month later it doesn't bother me as much as it did in the beginning not having as much room and having to move things. I resented her that my nice new condo looked like crap with a nic cage taking up half of it. Now I am like whatever if someone doesn't like it don't come over.

I also hated the idea of 2 spearate run times for the bunnies. I mean they were both use to being out 4 hours at least a day. Now each bunny would only get 2 hours. A month later neither of them seem to mind. It is getting easier and we all have gotten in a routine. At first it really stressed me out. But I have figured things out and though this isn't ideal, it works.

The Little Bunny's aggression towards me is pretty much gone. She has stopped grunting at me when I go in her NIC cage. She still hates Chase though. I resented the Little Bunny alot. How could she be mean to Chase when Chase needs her the most right now while she was sick. My resentment towards her has faded also. When she was mean to me I got to the point I was like fine, I will just leave you alone. I still gave her time out and her necessities but I didn't try to pet her or get close to her. I think she needed that space. I also think she was mad because I gave Chase their room and the Little Bunny got the new NIC cage. So maybe the aggression as gone down as she got use to the new cage.

They also went to the bathroom by each others cages. So when I let one out I would put some stuff on the floor in front of the others cage so they couldn't go in front of it and that really helped. I also got one of those long gates that you can make into a cirlce or leave straight and I can put that up like a foot from their cages so the other bunny can't get bit through the bars or get close enough to want to go to the bathroom. This is what I use http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2751767again there is a clip that comes out so it doesn't have to be in a circle.

My next step is to take both rabbits somewhere out of my house to bond. I haven't figured out where that will be but someplace where both of them are scared and will look towards each other for comfort.

I am not trying to pressure you into keeping her. You have to decide what is best for you. I would never judge you as I was going to do the same thing. I do sometimes think about. I just wanted to share with you that a month or so ago I thought there was no way I could deal with this, absolutly no way. For a lot of reasons like you space, the bunny is being mean to me and my heart bunny, my house looks like crap and so many more reasons. I really hope you don't feel like I am pressuring you. I just read your thread and it is the same thing I was going through, though not as much anymore. If you ever need to vent or you have any questions for me please ask. I wish all of you the best of luck. I know how hard this decision is.

ETA: JadeIcing where did you get those solid panels? I may need to get some. Would make it so much easier then moving another gate infront of the whole NIC cage everytime I let Chase out.

I don't know have you ever followed any of my threads before, If so when I first joined you would have heard the name Suki alot and how much I disliked her and wanted rid of her, But Sabine convinced me to try with her one more time and within a week we were best friends, I find talking in a real soft voice the best tactic to use if you want Emma to get used to you and Will. Remember if you can get Emma to trust you and finally get her to trust Toby, Toby will be a happy man because he loves Emma.

I agree with Paul2641 on the soft voice - my Holland Lop Juno (born in November 2008) is high strung and while she does not bite, she has opinions on her turn out time and handling. She always seems defensive about her space, unlike Axel, who is open and friendly about everything.

Today, I just sat with Juno in our turnout stall. When she was quiet, I asked her if I could pet her - in a soft voice - normally she would scamper away with a stomping foot to let me know she needed her space but today, she was happy to let me pet her on her own accord. I let her be while I pet her, then I moved back to my area of the stall. When I had to retrieve her, she was much better about being handled, cuddled for a moment, and returned quietly to her cage.

I really hope you can get to the bottom of whatever has displeased Emma....best of luck.

Denise

The only thing I have to add is no matter how much you love a rabbit, no matter how much or what you do for them they may never like you. I am passing the point about her not liking Toby because you have plenty advise given on that.

I have delt with two rabbits that while with their previous owners where total sweet hearts. One was even named Sugar. My friend bought Sugar from a breeder here in Kentucky and I agreed to care for her till she came to get her. She stayed with me a total of 5 months, 5 months of h*ll. She was so agressive I could not feed her. Now, I have delt with and corrected agressive rabbits before but this was diffrent. I did all I knew to do, all that worked for the others and nothing worked. I decided to let her have her space. When my friend came she brought me some rabbits, one named Almond. She took Sugar home and Sugar turned out to be a complete sweetie for her. My friend and I decided she just hated me.

That rabbit Almond that my friend brought was also a sweetie for my friend. She was very sweet the first week I had her but she soon turned evil. Turns out she was pregnant so I thought it was just like "agressive mom" syndrome. After her babies where weaned the cage agression lessened but never stopped so I started working, doing what I knew. After many months it was all great. Last fall I brought her inside and the agression started again. After months of working and no progress I moved her to an outside cage, bigger than her inside one. Agression as gone in an instant. She is currently in the building with my other outside rabbits and she is shy but not agressive. She is great with other rabbits, good with other people but she just does not like me well.

I have been thinking about you and your family. I know this is such a hard decision, one that really stresses you. I hope you guys are figuring out what is best for all of you and that you are finding some peace in whatever you decide.

Back