I think Pebbles has gas

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spring

Reaction score
Last night Pebbleswas in oddpositions, not those that I had seen with Pepsi, but she would laystretched out with her eyes closed and her head down with her feet tothe side. She'd do her bunny flop and almost go onto her back. She atesome oats, maybe a tsp thatI gave her and was eatingher apple treats. When I got up this morning, there was pee and poo inher litterbox but she hadn't touched her veggies, pellets or hay. I gother wrapped up in a bunny burito (Probably around 10:30 thismorning)and gave her a dropper and a half of the simthecone.She wasmoving around a bit, and cleaned her facewhereshe spilt some of the medicine, so she got enough inher.I let her run around and put her back in her cage. She'sstretched out with a bowlof water infront of her on hertowel. I gaveher a slice of apple and I'm going to give hersomemore simethecone in a half hour or so.

I'm really nervous, and ifshe's not 100% back to her normalself I'm going to take her to the vet laterontoday.I'll just have to see. I feel so guilty because I gaveher a littlepiece of broccolitwo daysagoas a little treat, butshe usually doesn't getaffected by it.

:pullhair:Gosh my stress level is bursting right about now!

Oh no Spring!

I hope she feels better soon.

And I really don't think the broccoli would make an effect two dayslater, I would think it would be pretty soon after eating it.

Good luck.

--Dawn

Prayers for your baby, Spring:pray::pray::pray:

Please keep us posted on how she's doing....

Lots of Love:hug2

Haley and the boys

I got her out 45 minutes ago and gave her somemore simethecone. Still no eating or pooping, although I think she atea piece of apple that I left for her. I got the simethecone in her, andmassaged. Her belly was a bit bloated, but that decreased when Istarted massaging her belly. I could here gurgles and soundscoming when I was massaging, so I continued as much as possible untilshe started getting irritated. She was moving around a bit when she wasout. I heated up a rice sock because her ears felt a bit cool. I'mgoing to keep checking her and phone the vet to see if I can hopefullyget her in today.

I am still dealing with loosing Pepsi, and I can't stand the thought of loosing Pebbles so soon. I'm just a mess.

Just keep her moving around, give her tummy rubsif she'll let you, and don't give her anymore apple or oats, they'repretty filling. And remember that they only eat acouple times a day, so she may not start eating agian until her regulartime. If she's grooming herself and interested inthe apple,the Simethicone sounds like it'sworking.

Sherry had a gas attack last night. I wrote this up on theSARS board: (And note that although Sherry perked up after theSimethicone, she didn't start eating again until this morning).

---

Sherrywasn't with Dill yesterday evening, and therewas a big tuft of her fur in the living room, so I went looking forher. It was their 'quiet time', she was off by herself in one of theirhang outs, and she just didn't look right. I couldn't see any wounds,but they're easy to miss.

She didn't look at me, she seemed to be breathing fairly rapidly andshe was lying in a slightly different position for her, although shewasn't squirming or looking uncomfortable like Dill does when he has agas attack. But it just didn't seem right.

I wanted to check her poops and not get them mixed up with Dill's, so Idug up an old cage and confined her to it -- which was easy, she wasn'tmoving at all. :( I had pellets in the cage, she didn't even sniff atthem.
shocked.gif
When Ioffered her a piece of banana and she didn't sniff at that, I knew shewas REALLY feeling lousy.
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

I still kept thinking it was something related to the chunk of fur, butjust in case I hauled out the Simethicone and gave her a dropperful.Sure enough, an hour later, she starts looking around, grooming herselfand sniffing at her pellets.

This morning she's fine. :)

Guess it was something she ate. Now to try and figure out what.
huh.gif
(Hope it wasn't thatnice red kale I got from Capers).

Simethicone is a wonder drug I tell ya!

sas

I don't know if I should phone the vet or not.Sort of sounds what Sherry had.She's not back toher normal self, but doesn't seem to be bothered too much. Shestillisn't eating much, but has started to drink. I put in asecondbowl of water and put some water on the places she wasgrooming, and sheimmediatley started licking it off. I wonderif I should put some simethecone on her fur and let her lick it up?She's quite a clean bun, and if she's grooming I know she's feelingdecent!

There is some tooth grinding from her, that's what's worryingme. Although now she is sitting up and not laying all hunched like shewas this morning/afternoon. The last time I gave her thesimetheconewas around 1 ish and now it is 4:30. I'm heatingup a rice sock for her and leaving it an inch away so she can decide ifshe wants to lay next to it or if it's too warm. She ate afew flakes of oats and I gave her some romain lettuce a few minutesago, so I'll have to go down there again to see if she atleast nibbledon it.

She ate some apple and oats last night, so is going from then (around11:00) to now without eating critical? She's starting to drink, sothat's good. Drinking was my main concern. The last time she pooped wasthis morning, and they were normal size. I just have a huge fear of GIstatis, so I'm afraid of not taking her to the vet. But, sheis bright eyed, alert, sitting up and is drinking so I know it willstress her out so much to go to the vet, so I really don't know what todo.

She is sitting normal although not as active as usual. She drank for afew seconds and has licked up the water off her fur when I put itthere, so I don't think I have to be overly concerned aboutdehydration. I found a vet the treats rabbits just incase, and the onethat closes at 5:00 won't do any good, but I found one that had apicture of a rabbit in their ad that's open till 9:00 normal hours,then after that it's emergancy vet. They're open tomorrow just incaseshe's not 100% better too.

I'll be sure to keep you updated!

I wouldn't go to the vet at thispoint. Neither of you need the stress. She soundslike she's getting over it. :)

When's her normal dinner time?

Also, does she like pumpkin? That's a better treat than apple and oats at this point.

sas

If she's eating, even the tiniest bit, anddrinking then she's doing pretty good. I know when Sprite wasreally bloated with gas and we were massaging her every few hours, witheach massage she'd fart a lot, pass some diarrhea-poops, and have thislook like "I just want to diiiiiiiiiieeeeee!!!!!!!!!" Andthen an hour later she'd feel better and relax a little. Itcan't feel too good to pass that much gas at once.

24 hours is a worrying point, but if you can keep up the massages andget her active she might start eating soon. You could alsooffer some really watered-down pellets in a bowl and see if she'll lickthem up, especially if they're flavored with something yummy.Keep trying to tempt her.

We have a bit ofmushy/cecelpoop!:elephant:

She's more lively, and she atea bitof the Romain Ileft for her, and drank some more water. She ran to the side of thepenwhen I picked up her dried apple bag, so I justgave her a tiny piece and she ate it. After she took the treat she wentin her litter box and left a round mushy dropping and pee and was stillin there sniffing around her hay when I decided to leave her alone.

I guess she might have been having an offday. I'm so glad she's improving!

Never tried pumpkin. I also though of somethingafter readinga threadSas wrote about Pipp and anoverdose on oats. I've been giving Pebbles more oats thanusual lately, so that might have been in. I'm going to cut out the oatsand try the pumpkin!

:elephant::bunnydance::colors:

The mushy poops are probably from the oats and the apple, that's theside effect of bribing the little stinkers to eat. Hopefullyshe'll stick withpumpkin, veggies andhay.

Bewareof thenot-so-dreadedailment,SBS! aka, SpoiledBunny Syndrome. Once they know you'll cough upthetreats, they'll play it for all it's worth. (Itook Pipp back to the vet for a second visit once because she stillwouldn't eat her normal food, and that wasthediagnosis. And theywereright!);)

Nose pats and kisses! (And some for Pebbles, too!)

sas

I just went down there for a quick visit andthere was some more mushy poos. She was also tearing up her newspaperand playing! I guess someones feeling a LOT better! :D

I took out the paper just incase she decided she'd want to eat too much of it and gave hre some new hay.

Gosh I'm so glad she's feeling better!

She's way more aware of her surroundings and more curious.

However, she is grinding her teeth loudly, but isn't hunched up and issitting normal. Is she in pain or just doing it for no reason? She atea bit of the apple when I gave her a sliver just to make sure she'sstill eating. Hasn't touched her hay or pellets that I left for herthough.

Also, I'm thinking about cutting down her veggies drastically and justhave her on a pellet/hay diet with fruits and veggies as treats. When Istarted feeding her more veggies, she ate less hay. Should I just haveher hay and pellets available at this time until she improves, or keepgiving her veggies until she comes through to her normal self?

Do you have any Metacam or even some Ibuprofenor Motrin? The pain is unusual. If the Simethiconetook away the gas, there may be another cause.Hmm... Keep her moving, see if anything seems to be botheringher. That will also help with the gas, if that's what itis.Ditto with gentle tummy massages.How much Simethicone hasshe had sofar?What has she eaten?

It normally should be more hay and veggies and less pellets, althougheach bunny is different. If I cut back on pellets,they eat more hay. They only get (a lot) veggies and a smallamount of pellets once a day, plenty of time to get bored and hungryenough for hay munching (except Pipp, who still won't touch the stuff).

What was she eating right before the attack? And have youchanged pellets and hay since you lost Pepsi? There's alwaysthe possiblity the whole works is caused by a bad case lot offood.

sas

Oh right, if she's got mushy poops than hertummy is probably still upset, this time from the oats, etc.Hopefully she'll start eating hay and drinkingwater. This is where the balance gettricky.

What kind of pellets does she get?

sas

PS: I forget... did you havefecal float tests on both bunnies before?

I have meticam from when I took Pepsi to thevet, but scared to use it. She doesn't seem to be in any pain, so I'mwondering if the teeth grinding is a sign of something else? She'sacting almost normal and has started to eat pieces ofhay.She's her joyful little self, no indication of pain but Ihear loud tooth grinding. She's hopping around her pen fine.

I have been giving her tummy massages, and she seems to like it. Shecloses her eyes and relaxes in my hands when she's on my lap. She got adropper and a half this morning, and another dose of the sameamount in the afternoon. That's all I've givin her. From then she'seaten (starting from last night) a bit of oats, dried apple,afew flakes of oats, romain, apple, and most recently she's started toeat hay and ate a baby carrot I had left in her cage from thisafternoon.

Pebbles isn't a huge pellet eater, so she usually is eating veggies atnight and hay in the day, only in the mornings she eats pellets.

Nope, haven't changed the hay or pellets. The hay is still fresh andsmells sweet- not musky or bad smelling. The pellets are the co-opbrand but planning to switch to something better and I haven't changedthem. They smell fresh too, don't seem at the least bad.

She was being fed the pellets, unlimited hay, celery, romain,baby carrots, pea pods, and parsley before she had this. But I'm goingto stop feeding the pea pods, because that might have had a role inthis problem because I just started feeding them to her a week or soago.

Never had a fecel float on either her orPepsi.

Yeah, I suspect it was a new kind of kale that did Sherry in last night. She hadn't had it before.

You can't tell by the smell of the pellets. The problem isthe mold can be in the corn the pellets are made from (among otheringredients). I'm guessing you can have a 100 goodpellets in her bowl,and one or two bad ones from a moldy bitof corn, and it will make her sick.

What's the brand? To be safe, I'dstick withveggies. (Except the pea pods).

Here's some links:

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11895&forum_id=10

http://www.morfz.com/myco.html

sas

Oh no! She has been eating a bit less ofpellets, but sometimes her pellet amount changes. Would I be able totell ifthe pellets are bad by sifting throughtheremaining ones? Or is it not something you can see? Is there any longterm risk? It could be the food..:?

I forget the exact name, but it's like energy plus or something from Co-Op. I think it's one of the ones you use?

It's a longshot, but it canexplainproblems with multiple bunnies with seemingly randomsymptoms. (Certain parasites fit the bill as well).

How long have you had the bag?

Energy Plus? Is that high protein?How old is Pebbles now?

sas

Back