I think my little Gus is sick!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In both eyes,its coming down from the bottom of the eye to half way to the top of the eye,it's white.I cleaned his eyes but what could it be?I'm very worried.:nerves1:cry2

You can try a triple antibiotic eye drop but it could be viral conjunctivitis or bacterial or something else altogether. The antibiotic will only help if its bacterial.

Let me look up some brand names.

Where are you located? (And can you put your location in your profile? Thanks!)

ETA: Oops, here's the Library link to a good rundown of eye ailments:

Eye Problems

This is a good link from there:
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Eye_diseases/Differential/Runny_eyes.htm

sas

Hi

What's leaking out of his eye? Cloudy or clear?

Did he scratch his eyes? If it's coming out of BOTH eyes then I think that maybe he is just tearing. It happens.

Where are you located?

Tracy

This confuses me. He has something dripping out of his eye? The reason I ask is because the third eyelid is white and covers from the tear duct to about halfway up the eye.

Also, a white thing ON the eye can be an abrasion: http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Eye_diseases/Differential/Corneal_ulcers.htm

Both an abrasion and an infection (which is what Pipp's links are about) need to be seen SOON because infection in the eye can get to other areas very quickly and cause serious problems, and an abrasion can really damage the eye.

Could you post a picture of it?

tonyshuman wrote:
This confuses me. He has something dripping out of his eye? The reason I ask is because the third eyelid is white and covers from the tear duct to about halfway up the eye.

Also, a white thing ON the eye can be an abrasion: http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Eye_diseases/Differential/Corneal_ulcers.htm

Both an abrasion and an infection (which is what Pipp's links are about) need to be seen SOON because infection in the eye can get to other areas very quickly and cause serious problems, and an abrasion can really damage the eye.

Could you post a picture of it?
Post a picture of it as it could be the third eyelid which looks strange if you don't know that rabbits have them

Hey hon, how are you doing?

From what I've read and what you've written, it sounds like it could possibly be "Conjectivitis", a serious eye condition, 'a prolapse of the third eyelid'. "Cherry Eye" is another term for that condition, often seen in dogs. I can't get the link, but there is info about in our library here;).

Get to the vet, who should prescribe an antibiotic, presumably, here is a post by a noted Mod here on the forum on Pasturella and meds: (Not saying it's either, but these are just some same symptoms of each and the best antibiotics to treat them.)

Enrofloxacinsand ciprofloxacins (cipro, baytril and the like) and sulfanomides (sulfatrim, bactrim, septra and the like) are older treatments that are still used mainly because they are considered "safe". We are seeing more and more resistant germs due to the overuse and misuse of these families of drugs. I use sulfa drugs generally with fluid aspiration into the lungs, some cases of coccidia and with skin infections (such as cuts or warbles). I generally use Baytril only in limited situations and mostly then with wildlife and I am moving away from it's use altogether. I generally culture the infections (but it is a little costly) but you get a true picture of the issue and I have developed some trends over the years. My suggestion is to have a discussion with your vet about using Zithromax (this is assuming that your vet feels this is a bacterial infection).Wehave had more success treating pasteurella with Zithromax than any other drug to date...and we have tried somedrugs and some combinations that are "out there".The use of a cool mist humidifier may also be of help. And a really effective treatment if it is available is to use a neubilizer.

If you go to the vet and they say there's any infection, I would go with what is said in this post. Ask for Zithromax! Go ahead and read any posts by this member, they are just quck acting methods and thorough.:)

Best of luck! Keep us posted.:)

I have also noticed, which my heavy bun had, this prolapse of eyelid before being told he had heart failure. Sometimes, I think its the big buns, there isa vid of the giant rabbit on tube, he has the top eyelid coming out. Not sure if weight may play an issue in this to be more common, but it seems like it.:(

We're getting way ahead of ourselves here. Please check the site I linked in my post above and view the photos. They have great shots of almost all eye issues, including hair in the eye and the third eyelid.

If you determine there is an issue, make your vet appointment when you can, and if it's a week away, describe the ailment and ask the vet if they would recommend an over-the-counter antibiotic eye drop in the meantime. (My vet is quick to prescribe such things for minor eye irritation or possible conjunctivitis but not all vets do).

Here's a recent post from our Infirmary whiz Randy worth reading on that subject.

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=44379&forum_id=16&highlight=Zeniquin

sas

My guys get hair on their eyes sometimes too. It's not usually that big, though...

LagomorphLover wrote:
He's fine now,it's stopped,The vet said he had hair on his eye but he also said that didn't cause it...I live in central ohio.

That's great to hear, and I'm sorry to have added so much info that I shouldn't have at that point.;)

Keep us posted on Gus though.:)

(Oh, could you include your location in your profile? It will help us to help you with the buns as far as location. Thanks!:D)

Latest posts

Back