I think my bunnies have myxomatosis :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CiaraPatricia

Reaction score
I have four female rabbits, who all live together, and I think two of them have myxo :( Yesterday morning they were fine, then I picked lots of nettles for them to eat cos they've had them a few times and like them. Then about an hour later I went outside and noticed that two of the rabbits had swollen eyelids. I thought that maybe they got nettle stings and didn't really think anything of it. I went to my parents house for the day and am just back now and their eyes are still swollen, slightly weepy, one has a runny nose, and they both have swollen genitals :( So that sounds exactly like myxo right?

They're no vaccinated, which I feel awful about now, because I didn't have the money to get it done. I used to live in the countryside but just moved to the city/suburbs about three weeks ago, I thought there's no way there's any rabbits around here . . . so I'm not really sure how they caught it, but I guess there could be rabbits somewhere or the neighbours could have a rabbit and there are cats that could transmit fleas :(

So I've brought the two other rabbits inside, they seem fine so far. I guess I have to get the two sick bunnies put to sleep :( I'm so sad. I really hope the other two will be ok. They're in my chinchilla's cage, it's a large rabbit cage really, and the poor chinchilla is in a small cat carrier because I had nowhere else to put her.

Any advice? Vets around here don't really know much about rabbits, and from what I've read, it's advised to put them to sleep :(

there are some excellent threads here about myxi and alternative treatments owners have tried. is there any way u could get them to a rabbit savvy vet?

That's really sad to hear, i hope it turns out not to be something so serious.

I haven't had any experience with myxo before but from what i understand is that any biting instect can spread the disease and if 1 of your rabbits has it, it is more than likely that all your rabbits have been infected but are just slower to show signs as it is highly contagious. So much so that if you handle infected rabbits and then handle others wearing the same clothes or not disinfecting your hands it is very possible for you to pass on the disease that way.

If i had a rabbit that i had a feeling was infected with myxomatosis, i would assume that all my rabbits are affected and take them all in for a vet check because as i mentioned, its more than likely that if 1 has it, they all do.

There is no cure for this and rabbits affected die a slow and painful death, which is why its usually suggested that they be put to sleep so that they don't have to suffer. There probably are things you can do to ease the pain and suffering a little, but at the end of the day its probably kinder to put them to sleep, as heart breaking a decision as it would be to make.

Here is just 1 of the exotic vets found through a google search in your area.

http://www.gilabbeyvet.com/exoticanimals.html

Here is another... (this one came up in the search so i am assuming its still in or near your area)

http://www.veterinary.ie/go/contact_us

There are many more vets i found in your area, just google "exotic vets cork, ireland" and you'll find them.

I would get them all to the vets asap. There's not really anything that can be done if they have myxomatosis i don't think (might be wrong but i don't believe there is) but at least you will have peace of mind knowing whether they do or not and can then take the appropriate action. And if it turns out they don't have it, i would get them vaccinated as soon as you can afford to. Put a few dollars aside a week to save for it, or see if the vets will organise a payment plan for you. You're very lucky that a vaccine exists in your country, our poor rabbits here in Australia don't get that luxury. All we can do for them is fly screen the house and enclosures and make sure they're always mite and flea treated. That's the only other thing you can do if you can't afford the vaccination or it isn't available to you.

You guys will be in my thoughts and i hope we'll hear some good news soon. :pray:

Thanks guys. They're a bit worse now, so I called my vet and once there's a vet there they'll call me to get them put to sleep :( I don't think it matters whether I go to a rabbit savvy vet or a normal vet because it's definitely myxo, and I'm not going to let them suffer.

I'm really worried about the other two getting sick too, I hope they don't, but I think they probably will. :(

Poor babies. I hope that the other two are just fine and don't get sick. I will pray for them that they don't have myxo and they stay healthy.

So sorry to hear that.

I can't imagine losing so many so close together and having to make that decision. My heart goes out to you and i hope the others will be ok. :(

Latest posts

Back