I think I may be THAT owner...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aelfb

Reaction score
My husband and I were observing our bunny momma relaxing around the cage with her 3 week old kiddos and I saw the UNTHINKABLE... Right near her belly it was kind of rolling around a bit. Not a movement like her breathing, etc. I saw it first and my husband said I was imagining things. But then he saw it too. PLEAAAASSSSEEEE tell me that this is just a crazy and weird thing that bunny tummies do sometimes...??????? And... IF the unspeakable is about to happen, how far along is she if we're seeing that, and what are some key tips for back to back litters?
:pullhair:

Yes it is possible that she is pregnant again, so if you've had her near or with the buck, and the kits are three weeks old, she's probably 3 weeks pregnant.

I'm not sure about what to do, but definitely some extra nutrition probably and you will need to wean the older kits early. Hopefully someone with experience can give you some good pointers in that area.

A couple of years ago a Doe of mine got pregnant the same day she gave birth meaning my 4 kits were 4wks and 2days before the next litter came along. A few days before her due date I would take the babies inside at night so she was able to give birth in peace and give the new babies their first colostrum feed- 2nights later the new babies where born.

4week old kits are nibbling on mums food so I just supplemented it with a small piece of Weetbix each (or you could give Rolled oats) at night time when they were inside with me & first thing in the morning I would pop the babies out with mum to hang out for the day & then would bring them inside with me at night time around 8pm- my Doe still fed her other 4babies during the day which I was surprised with & still spending most of their time with mum I found very beneficial and no need to completely seperate- After about 10-12 days I ended up keeping the babies with their mum and she naturally weaned them herself and still fed the other younger kits. It was actually quite an easy process as originally I was stressing out about the thought of babies not getting fed etc but instinctively if your Doe is a good mum she will have it all sorted :) I gave my Doe some Rolled oats & a few times a week some Weetbix & unlimited pellets while she was feeding 8 kits!

Latest posts

Back