I still don't understand why he does this...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcottonl02

Reaction score
I have two questions about Pippin, which I am really hoping people could help me with.

I don't think I've ever heard Benji thump, apart from one time when a fox was standing outside his hutch. But Pippin thumps all the time!
It's not just at night he thumps, but he thumps in the house too.

Now, I know for a fact he is a happy bunny, because when he is inside with me (in a room with just us, no TV etc.) because he binkies like crazy round the room, he marks things with his chin, and he licks me constantly.
BUT he also buzzes and then thumps so often inside too.

Now- I always thought that thumping was a sign of an unhappy bunny, but how can he be unhappy when he does this:

Binky, lick,
BUUZZZ THUMP
Binky x3
Lick
Lick
THUMP

I just don't get his mixed signals.

Could it be that thumping is just saying 'HEY- I'm here!!! Stroookkkee me!!'.

Also- my second...query. I have picked Pippin up (either to bring him inside, put him in his run etc.) probably 6 times a day. I hold him well and close to me- I cover his eyes as I walk etc. and I have tried about fifteen different positions when holding him.
FINALLY I've found one that works- I hold him on his back and cradle him, with one hand over his eyes, and he doesn't move THANK GOD lol.

But I want to know whether some bunnys just never get used to being held? Like it's the sensation of being lifted and carried off by a predator, and they never get used to it?

So to sum up lol!

1) Why does Pippin thump so much when he's inside with me (sometimes more than others) even tho he is binkying and licking me like crazy?

2) Will he ever get used to being picked up?

Thanks

Also- I just want to add- that it is always the same room I bring the bunnies into- a big, quite empty room which is sort of a second living room. It's basically just got a computer, a cabinet, a TV (which i keep off when they are inside) and a big sofa, and just lots of running space.

And we always have grooming sessions and take it in turns to groom, and he often 'flops' on the floor too, so he must be comfortable with the room?
The dogs are never in there- sometimes the cats are but not when the rabbits are.

1, Bunnies do it for different reasons. He might be after attention, it might just be pure excitement.

2, As prey animals its more common to find those that don't like being handled than it is to find those that are fine with being handled, most buns just tolerate it. If you think that what happens is that you suddenly find yourself whizzing through the air and being somewhere else, that would be scary for anyone, and yes, as a prey species he will not overly enjoy it, probably. Also, make sure you youself relax, because he will pick up on what you feel.

When the flemmies thumped it was "why aren't you paying attention to me?!!?!?"

When Lumi thumps it's "shut up!!!!" especially when Micah is crying. Micah cries, Lumi thumps, the thumping scares Micah so he cries more, Lumi keeps thumping, rinse and repeat. It goes on for a while.

My dutch bunny thumps pretty often. Usually it's when she runs into the room, THUMP, then jumps up on the bed or seeks us out. It's always seemed to me like a "hey, here I am!" sort of thing.
My old holland lops used to thump on their way under the bed, especially if one of them was already under. It seemed like they, too, were announcing their arrival to the other bunny.

Tony likes to run out the apartment door into the foyer of our building and thump. I think it's "Look at me, I'm being bad!" or "Woohoo I've escaped! How hillarious!"

Some bunnies do not get used to being held. There are ways to do it to them as calmly as possible, and it seems to me that you need to make sure the bunny knows that if they are being held, jumping off isn't going to make you stop holding them--if they run away, go get them right away. That way they will learn that jumping and struggling doesn't get them anywhere, and the best thing to do is just to wait until the person sets them down.

my bun sometimes thumps right before she jumps on my lap for love and attention.. i think it probably means, 'i'm here, why aren't you petting me'

Thanks for all ur replies.

He's been getting much better with being held- he seems to be much more calm, but i know he still hates it, bless him.

I thought perhaps it was a sort of...attention thump. But thinking about it, he's quite a scared bunny. He thumps a lot at night, if one of our cats runs past etc. and he thumps inside, and then hides behind a chair or a box etc.

He seems to be quite scared unless he's actually physically with me- he snuggles close to me and licks me constantly.
Then I put him down to give him some time to run around and leap etc. and all he does is thump and hide, until I move close to him and bring him onto my lap (or he leaps onto my lap).

He is a very loving bunny, like Benji.

Maybe it is a dominance thing? Becuase he also runs round the room marking the sofa with his chin lol

That is funny, the thumping... How strange. As for whether bunnies can ever get used to being picked up, it really depends on the rabbit. I would advise against doing it unless necessary or only if your rabbit doesn't seem to mind at all. Most bunnies like to be on the floor/ground. My Kiwi doesn't mind too much: I sometimes pick him up and snuggle him while on the floor so he can jump down whenever he gets tired of it. Coco is more nervous about leaving the floor, so I only pick him up when necessary.

they thump if they are scared, frightened ect. It's also a warning to other bunnie's, to telll them " hey watch out"

Latest posts

Back