I spotted an injured rabbit at the pet store today! (RIP)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kel4mum

Reaction score
I took my kids to the local pet store today to get my buns their food, I say local, it's actually a 20 mins bus ride away.

Whilst looking at all the animals in there for sale, I thought I would go see all the little buns they had. Then I noticed a bun looking not quite right, he was having trouble moving and toppled over in front of me. (he was in the cage with two other rabbits, siblings I think). Anyway I called over the assistant to have a look, which she did, and she immediately called the manager over to have a look. They took this sweet little boy out of the cage and placed him on the floor, He was trying to move, but his little legs weren't working. :cry2The manager checked the spine and felt his legs, she placed him back down, and I could see she wasn't sure what to do. I asked her if she could call the vet, cos this bun needed one asap. It looked like paralysis, but I'm no expert. She took the bun out the back to a seperate cage, and said that she called the vet. (I don't believe her, but what can I do?)

So I carried on looking around with the kids and paid for my stuff, BUT, I couldn't leave. That bun had tugged at my heart strings and I so desperately want it to get the help it needs. I went back into the shop and told the manager that I will call later to see what the vet has said. I told her that I will call until I know exactly what is being done for that bun.

So I called about 30 mins ago, and the vet still hasn't been, even though the vet practice is on the same site as the pet store. :grumpy: I told the assistant on the phone to ask the manager to call me as soon as the vet had been. (manager was out of the store).

I don't know what else to do, I feel like going down there and taking that poor bun and getting him some help, but I can't. I feel helpless and very sad:cry2

It's so hard when you see things like that. If the store is not forthcoming with vet attention then I would report them, to be honest. Not just to the RSPCA though, but to the correct department of the council, whose name completely escapes me. Two seconds. It's the people who issue the pet-shop license.

tell them youll take him from them (free) because the rabbit is not getting the help it needs and they can talk to thier vendors about getting credit for the baby bun...if they disagree...then mention that it probably wouldnt be good for the repuatation of sick animals to go around.

i guess thats blackmail..

I have mentioned that I would foster the little bun once he has been seen by a vet, and they know what was wrong with him. I think that they may just put him to sleep as they won't be making any money out of him. :cry1:

Yeh, they probably will, but as long as its done humanely then that's better than being left, etc, and may even be better than life depending what caused it.

I've just called them abain and this time I got no answer, bloody great!
I will call them tomorrow and if i have no luck I will go down to the store and tell them to their faces that I WILL be reporting them, I will make their lives hell if they left that poor bunny to suffer overnight without getting any help from a vet.

I may also contact the vet as well, as I have there number, what do you think?

id say just keep trying to get ahold of someone. if you can...go back and say youll take the rabbit to the vet for them because they apparently arnt capable.

all we can do is try to make them do the right thing. If we see something we don't like, we let those in charge at the pet stores that "WE WILL" report them to the authorities--any and all we can think of. Have even gone so far as to call the Attorney General and the Governor in Ohio over that "Petland" employee. It's a shame that you have to "strongarm" people and threaten them like a thug, but, where animal care is concerned, we are willing to make them do the right thing. We are the only voice that animals have. Keep up the good fight.

I had to do it, I reported the pet store to RSPCA. They said they will send out an inspector tonight, if they can get hold of the key holder, if not then they will be there first thing in the morning.

I really do hope that that poor little bun has not been left out the back to suffer. My prays are going out to him.

I will still call them in the morning and see what they say, and I will tell them that I reported them cos I was concerned of the welfare of the bun that was in their care.

They haven't heard the last of me!!!!!

aw poor bun!! i hate being reminded of how much bad stuff happens to poor animals and how some people just dont care. i am so so so glad you have reported them and making sure that the bunny is being taken care of. so many people would just walk away. i hope this has a happy ending!!

I rang the pet store this morning, bang on opening hours, and guess what?

The rabbit is still there and still hasn't seen a vet. The assistant I spoke to was stuttering a lot this morning, as if she didn't know what to say to me, she told me that she hadn't checked on the rabbit yet, and that they were planning on ringing the breeder, so that he/she could take them to their own vet. (that's fine, but why didn't they do that yesterday?) And she said that someone else was going to pop in a see the bun, who, I don't know??????

I thanked her and wished the bun well.

Anyway the RSPCA called at 9.41am, and said they were on their way to the store and just wanted to check some details with me, I re-told them what I knew, and about the call this morning. The inspector said that she would make sure that the poor little bun will recieve medical attention asap, and that she will be reporting the store to the council.

I really hope now that that poor little bun will finally be helped, even if it's to be put to sleep, it will be at peace at last.

Ugh, that poor bunny. How irresponsible of them :(. I hope the RSPCA will get it help and attention. You did totally the right thing.

I would definitely report them to the pet shop licensing department (whatever it's called- just Google that with the name of your local council) as well, like Flashy said.

:hug: to you for being that poor little bunny's advocate!

mouse_chalk wrote:
Ugh, that poor bunny. How irresponsible of them :(. I hope the RSPCA will get it help and attention. You did totally the right thing.

I would definitely report them to the pet shop licensing department (whatever it's called- just Google that with the name of your local council) as well, like Flashy said.

:hug: to you for being that poor little bunny's advocate!
Any word?

Hope the providing breeder will humanely put to sleep if the poor bun goes back. In the book Stories Rabbits Tell there's a chapter about pet stores and their views of rabbits. Unsaleable rabbits can be taped in boxes to suffocate. OR worse yet. We all know from the Petland incident. Or from Zin/Goin' Back to Cali's post in '08 about Tractor Supply Company and the ones that go in dumpsters.

Good for you for advocating, as mouse chalk wrote, for this defenseless innocent bun.

I'm so glad you reported them. Did you ask for a callback from the RSPCA? It might be worth calling and checking up tomorrow to see what they can tell you (not sure what number to call though, to be honest).

Back