I rescued my rabbits from my burning townhouse...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! You should get an RO medal of honor, or something like that! I'm was so relieved to see that everybun made it out OK. The part about the bunny butt in the laundry made me kind of chuckle, too. It's funny how you have a half-thought, and it turns out to be OK.

My grandpa is a retired fireman and would probably give you a whack upside your head for doing that. What can I say, us pet parents know that we can't leave our babies in there! It's a good thing there wasn't a back draft or a flash when you opened the door. I guess you're supposed to touch a door prior to opening it... or something like that. No one remembers those things in the adrenaline-pumping moments!!!

You're a bunny hero!

kherrmann3 wrote:
Wow! You should get an RO medal of honor, or something like that! I'm was so relieved to see that everybun made it out OK. The part about the bunny butt in the laundry made me kind of chuckle, too. It's funny how you have a half-thought, and it turns out to be OK.

My grandpa is a retired fireman and would probably give you a whack upside your head for doing that. What can I say, us pet parents know that we can't leave our babies in there! It's a good thing there wasn't a back draft or a flash when you opened the door. I guess you're supposed to touch a door prior to opening it... or something like that. No one remembers those things in the adrenaline-pumping moments!!!

You're a bunny hero!
Ditto the comments of all,

:thumbup :hearts :hug:

Wow... like everyone else, this is a huge fear of mine, and I'd like to believe I'd do everything possible to save my pets, but sheesh, that must be absolutely terrifying when you are in the situation. And to try to catch a bunch of rabbits... I am impressed. I have trouble catching my little dutch bunny just to clip her nails or whatever, I can't imagine trying to catch her without being able to see, while we're both terrified..

That was some fast thinking and skill on your part to get everyone out of there alive and healthy. Great job, this is an amazing story.

Such a sad but brave story. I think anyone on here would do the same for their bunnies. I'm glad you got home in time to save everyone and that your all doing ok. Your a hero to your babies and an inspiration to us all.

HUGE bunny hugs to you for saving everyone! Yes, I think that has to be any pet owner's worst fear. And I understand why the fireman blasted you for going into the house to save your bunnies (have heard some horror stories of how quickly a home can go up, how smoke disorients very quickly, etc. etc.) yet at the same time I absolutely understand why you did. I'm just so glad you made it out safely and that everyone is okay.

Someone up above was definitely looking out for you and the bunnies...

:hugsquish:

I went back and read this and thought to myself that I should devise some sort of plan if something like that happened here

Ialso cannot believe that you were able to get the rabbits running loose and in so much smoke.

I feel Like maybeI should keep a bunch of carriers on the back porch or something ( this is a wake-up call for me)

Ithink that it is truly amazing that you got them all out and didn't get hurt. :pray:

I hope you're doing well - coughing up black soot is not my idea of a fun past-time.

And for anyone who is seriously considering fire preparedness in their home try here and here. Creepily enough, I was reading this a few nights before this nightmare occurred.

Hopefully no one will have to use their carriers (or anything else) in such circumstances though.

Just out of curiosity, do any of you have those Fire Rescue stickers for your pets? Have any of you heard of them? They are an orange sticker that you put on the window of a door, patio, or just large window that names the type of pets and mini-descriptions of them for the firemen to keep an eye out for and get out. They are a good piece of mind thing for people who are worried about their critters when they are not home. I think you can get them at pet stores and I am pretty sure DrsFosterSmith.com handles them. I will have to check back later and add a link.

Kelly my uncle is a fireman and one day a while ago we were talking about those stickers and he told me that he is not running into a burning house for someones pet his first and only co ncern is the people. But that is not to say that a firemand is not going to save an animal because i see stories like that all the time, i too thought about gedtting those stickers

What a frightening experience! I'm so glad everyone is OK. I have heard of some people who keep pillowcases handy to their bunny area to put the buns in if they need to quickly evacuate.

Yes, I have a clutch of pillow cases within easy reach. The airing cupboard is just outside my room and the pillow cases are right there, so I always imagined that I would use those. If I couldn't get out my room I would fashion things from what is in my room.

It's ALWAYS good to think about what might happen and what you might need in an emergency. It's so scary all the potential outcomes.

Wow. You are a brave person. I have thought a lot about how I would get my pets out of something were to happen, but I never thought about stuffing them in duffel bags. Probably a good idea to have one around since I don't have a travel crate readily available.

MouseChalk - The duffel bags I had lying around were actually my travel bags for Egypt, and now they're full of pee lol!

The first I did was buy more carriers and set them by the door, and pillowcases by our balcony and my bedroom window. With an emergency kit for each exit. The day after the fire I felt so bad that all they had was water and veggies. Oh how they wanted their Oxbow and hay so much =[

The insurance company advised us that because of painting and renovations they plan on doing, we should leave for a couple of weeks. Simultaneously, I'm actually going to be in Egypt for the entire time they are doing this.. so my awesome parents asked if they could care for my 11 pets and my dad even began building set ups for them!

Latest posts

Back