I reLly need advice

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juier58

Reaction score
Hi my 3 year old lion head went into g I stasis last Monday. She wasn't responding to rescue food and meds so was admitted to the vets on Tuesday and came home yesterday still on rescue food and meds. All the time she was at the vets she was full of beans but not really eating that much. It was hoped when she got back home to her partner this might help. However,although relaxed she refuses to come out of the corner they use as home *they are free roaming). She is happy to eat veggies, leaves dried flowers were but won't eat any pellets or hay and I haven't seen her drink anything. I am waiting for a call from the vets but was hoping someone might have things I might try?

Did the vet do a thorough dental exam? Where any xrays, blood work, or other tests done? Is the vet an experienced and knowledgeable rabbit vet?

Is she still being fed rescue food and if so is she eating it well and very much each day? Is she still on meds and if so which ones? How is her poop looking? Is she eating the veg eagerly and with no difficulty chewing? If you offer more veggies, will she eat them?

Hi thanks for replying. She has had xrays and blood test which have shown nothing. She is on metacam,cisapride and emeprid.. she is due some soon. I am giving her rescue food but she is not impressed! She is eating loads of veg, herbs dried flowers just not her nuggets or hay.
In the last hour she has come out of her hiding place. The puzzling thing that through all of this she has been as bright as a button and very relaxed

Usually when a rabbit is selectively eating and will only eat certain foods but not others, and their behavior is normal and not changed where they would be subdued and lethargic, it is usually going to be caused by a dental issue or possibly something is wrong with the food that they're refusing to eat. Like it's gone moldy, or if it's a new bag/batch, there's something different affecting the taste in the new batch that makes it taste different to the rabbit.

Because you describe your rabbits behavior as pretty normal, those are the two possibilities I would be looking at. Rabbits with dental pain will selectively eat the foods that cause less pain for them to chew, but also still act pretty much like their normal selves aside from the selective eating. Or if it's due to the food being off, they won't want to eat the food that tastes wrong, but will eat their other food and still behave normally.

You could always try buying a new bag of pellets and hay(preferably a different batch number) to see if there's any difference. But if not and if you're absolutely sure your hay and pellets hasn't gone moldy, then I would suggest making sure your vet does a thorough dental exam. If you don't feel your vet is a really knowledgeable rabbit vet, I would suggest checking the rwaf list to find one near you, as a good rabbit vet can make all the difference in a proper diagnosis and treatment.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-...abbit-friendly-vets/rabbit-friendly-vet-list/

Latest posts

Back