I really want a bunny!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crissie5000

Reaction score
I really want abunny but I cant because my mum has allergies and she thinks that theyare to hard to take careof! Ireally want a bunny because I like soft and cuddly animals! plz give meadvice on what to do!!!!

I always reply to make people feelbetter, but I'm sorry. I didn't mean to let you down, but I don't thinkyou can buy one. The least and only things you can do is buy a stuffedbunny to keep you company or if you want a real one that badly, you canmove out and buy a bunny at your new home. But, I understand thatmoving out is a big step, and by big, I mean HUGE! This is the only bitof advice I can give you, and maybe Pamnock or Carolyn can give yousome useful advice. They're all rabbit experts at this forum, anyway.Sorry. By the way, rabbits aren't very hard to take care of. Mr.Cuddles is an easy Holland Lop rabbit to take care of. Easier thanothers, at least!

There isn't much advice of what to do, my dad isallergic to them, so is my mom, and so am I (mildly). But consideringmine are housed outside in a nice sheltered hutch, it's ok. They are alot of work, requiring food, and clean water, and a clean cage, plusvet bills can get costly if thats needed. Cages are not cheap either.

Hi Crissie,

Well, if mom says no, you're outta luck. Would let let youget a guinea pig or something that isn't as hard to take care of andthat can be kept quietly in your room?

Rabbits area lot of work. When you get older andare able to be on your own, you can get a rabbit then. In themeantime, why don't you join a 4-H group and you can tend to helpingtheir rabbits? What about a shelter that might need some helpcleaning cages, etc? How about helping out a breeder in yourarea?

Being in your mom's house still, you must havea busy day ofit between school, homework, and sports or after-schoolactivities. Rabbit's need a lot of care, exercise, andattention. It's also not always cheap to havearabbit because they need a good size cage for the rabbit, timothy hay,rabbit pellets, litter, waterbottles, etc.

It really is for the best you not have one now,especiallywith your mom having allergies.Perhaps if they see you sodedicated and responsible in handling animals at a shelter, hospital,breeder, or 4-H club, the three of you could come to some kind of acompromise and get an animal that your mom isn't allergic to.

Don't be mad at your mom for having allergies. I'm sure shewishes that she could cuddle a rabbit too and not be affected by them,but that's not the case and best to move on rather than get yourselfall bummed out about it now. Just think: for now you can'tget one; someday you can!

-Carolyn

Generally guinea pigs are just as bad forallergies, the hair and dander flies all over the house no matter what,so it's hard to keep them if there are allergies.

As Carolyn suggested, volunteering is a great way to be around animals,I volunteered at a local vet clinic and did the cleaning cages, playingwith the animals and walking others, it's a good way to start!

thanks for the help ful advice and i cant move out i am only 13 *laughs* dont worry you did not know wishbone332.

I am new on this forum! my mum says we cant have rabbits cause we got a small house!

Oh yes and i forgot to tell you guys on thursdaythe 8th of april i bought a baby russian hamster and on easter(the 11thof april) he died i called him snowie and we did some research and wethen found out that he had genetic deformaties(**** that is a bigword*laughs*)we had a proper barial in the garden.I am still really sadabout that because he was the most rare color of russian hamster youcan get he was all white and i didnt get to hold him properly cause iwas afraid to squish him beceuse he was bout the size of astrawberry!thanks again for all of the advice! oh yes and i have mildallergies cause my mum does to!

oh yes and pamnock my mum's name is pamela!she is the nicest lady ihave ever meet and she gives me yummy penut buttercookies*laughs*

Hi Crissie5000,

Then your mom and Pamnock have a lot in common because Pamnock's one ofthe nicest people I've ever conversed with and watched as she's helpedso many people with questions about their rabbits.

Another hamster could be in your future, Crissie5000! :D Did you ask?

Sorry that your other little guy died. It's so sad when they have to go into Heaven.

You may not be able to get a rabbit right now, but someday you can. Chin up!

M&SMom, good point about the guinea pigs and allergies.

-Carolyn

thanks alot you are all very nice to help me and i agree pamnock is very nice to help practicaly everyone!

We called thepet store and now we get our pick of ANY pet inthe whole store i think i will choose a hamster or a gerbil

lolbeyonce i downloaded her lol

Way to Go, Crissie5000!! :dude:

Let us know what you name your new little buddy.

:)

I laughed when I saw Beyonce!

-Carolyn

I think any animal takes work and committment(sorry not trying to be the mean grouch here) and you shouldn't buy onejust because you like soft and cuddly things, that's what stuffedanimals are for.

Hamsters make great pets, you can buy so many tubes for them that theylove to run around in, a wheel is a must since they need lots ofexcercise, and shavings and fluff are nice because they love to make"burrows" in there houses and sleep in them. Half the time you won'tsee them buried in there :)

I suggest you get a Teddy Bear hamster since they seem to last thelongest. And females are probably the cleaner ones because males leaveurine trails (although you can't see them) from having their testiclesbasically touching the ground (yeah, kinda icky lol) But I've had 3male hamsters now, and they've all lasted about 3 years. Just make sureif you get a boy, wash your hands after handling him ;)

This is my hamster "Rahoon" (He looks like a Raccoon, but he's a hamster, hence the "H" instead of the "cc' lol)

rahoon.jpg

I find Gerbils cute. I like the way they hope likerabbits andhave the big hind legs!! :DHope you have better luck with your new pet!

I think once my hamster goes (which might be soon, poor little guy) I'm going to get a mouse!

Oh My God, MBLM,

That picture of your little buddy, HamHam,isADORABLE!!! What a face!! Give him big kisses forme. He looks like quite the character. EXCELLENTEXCELLENT PICTURE!

-Carolyn

Hi there crissie5000,
Im allergic to rabbits as well. but i have 2!
Is keeping them outside an option?
You see i have a back garden and i keep them outside. They each live in seperate hutches (cages)in my back garden.
The hutches are out of sunlight and strong wind/ rain.
At first when they went for their excersise they went in the run (arc) (kind of a big hutch)
then, i waited a bit and because my garden is safe and fenced off i nowlet them run round the garden on their own and they really love it.
I f it ever gets to cold you could put them in the garage or something at night.
When their outside it doesnt effect my allergies at all (so long as i wash my hands when i get inside)
But dont take my word for it because your mum could react diferently to them then i do.
Hope this helps!
Lots n lots of love
Lauren and Ebonyand fidget

xoxoxoxox

Carolyn wrote:
Oh My God, MBLM,

That picture of your little buddy, HamHam,isADORABLE!!! What a face!! Give him big kisses forme. He looks like quite the character. EXCELLENTEXCELLENT PICTURE!

-Carolyn

Thank you Carolyn :) I will for sure give him kisses for you! Thatpicture was taken before his eyes crusted over. He can longer see now:( Everytime we try to clean his eyes he bites us, so his vision islimited. Sometimes he has one eye open. He is quite the character, evenafter being blind and having both his back legs broken, hesstill trying ti break out of his cage lol. Megan tries to get out soon.I'd let them play together but my HamHam bit her on the nose the lasttime :(

hi guys thank you all but i found out today that iam not getting a hamster in fact in about 2-3 weeks i am getting a halfmoon baby conure(bird) so i will have a friend to talk to instead of tocuddle!

glad you liked beyonce

thanks again all!!!!!!!!!!

Back