I really got a puppy this time

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leaf

Reaction score
I've watched her bounce on CraigsList for a few weeks, and this time I decided to *do* something.

Here she is in my yard:

Photos858.jpg

Photos856.jpg

Because I'm not currently LOOKING at her she's barking and whining at my feet.

The people swear she came from an Aussie (the originals that had her) but I think genetics took over in a big way otherwise.

Seeing her in person I have a feeling I know some of her makeup and will be very curious to see what pants she grows into.

Here's her ad:

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/pet/780563260.html

I think she's possibly part australian CATTLE DOG aka Heeler. The dog behind her looks PART aussie but looks as if it is part heeler or something smaller also.... the nose isn't right for a shephard.

ANYHOW, her coloring suggest heeler, and maybe lab? She's going to be a super smart dog if she's got either Aussie dog in her..... we've have both kinds in our family and several of each! and they are all wonderful and very intelligent dogs!

Here's a full grown heeler lab cross:

http://www.nextdaypets.com/ListingImages/633456165225100000.jpg

She's supposed to have Aussie in her? Like Australian Shepherd? To me the head looks a lot like an Aussie, but the build of her and coat to me don't seem like Aussie or ACD... I saw her and thought Pit Bull, actually.

How old is she? Or take a stab at around how oldshe is...

She looks really short coated, and to me, I can't see Ausse or ACD... *shurgs* She sure is cute, though!

I thought pit bull, too! She is SO cute and looks so happy to be with you :biggrin2: What is her story? Her posting on Craigslist has been removed. Have you named her yet? I know Daisy is a common doggie name, but Daisy is the first thing that popped into my mind! I think she needs a girly name like that. Anyway, congrats! Can't wait until I can have a puppy...

Sooooo cute :)!! Every one I know has been getting dogs lately and it drives me nuts. I want a dog like no other :(.

She is definitely part Pit Bull :biggrin2:. She looks like a "Jane" to me :p.

My little lab has a pitbull look too but we know she's not got any pit bull in her. I think she looks like a doberman puppy too.... but I don't think she's really either.

On another note: Her name was BLUE from the article. I don't know if Leaf is keeping that or not.

ALSO: Most dogs who are Aussie or part Aussie have short or no tail......

Here are 2 deaf ACD/Lab mix dogs....

It's hard to tell what she is - the people areinsistant thatthe Mom was an Aussie but sometimes people confuse the term Aussie with a Blue Heeler or an Australian Shepherd...

She has the blue Dobie look but her face is kind of blunt for that - She's cheeky, reminding me of a Rottie - but has a nice skin fold under her chin reminding me of the "bully" breeds as puppies. Her webbed toes - well, who knows - maybe Lab.

The people did call her Blue. I'm not sure I care for that name for her. I toyed with the name Levi, but I'm still not positive.

She and my two smaller dogs are taking advantage of the early morning hours right now by being outside. :)

I'm going to try to get her in to the vet today (maybe) after I get a good look at her tail. They said she and their Pug fought all the time and she got bit on the tail. She's got a sausage link spot on her tail that probably needs to be drained. If I can't care for it myself I'll let the vet handle it.

I'm so proud of her. Yesterday I was so tired when I got her but I stayed up to bathe her, feed & water - then I was off to bed to sleep. She slept on the bed with me after a short round of bitey-face (I wasn't biting hers!) and before I left for work I put her in her crate. It is way too huge for her but she didnt make one mess in it!

I am so, so happy to finally have a bigger buddy. The last year and a half has been sad - I've lost5 senior dogs (some as adopted, advanced seniors) and I am so ready for puppy breath again. I totally regret not keeping one of the Shar Peis that were dumped in my yard. A rescue came and got them but I was way too attached...

And for those that know I'm an ACO - yes, I took a girl in from Craigs List BUT as for now the pound is doing well working with a rescue who is new (knock on wood) and interested in taking in adults/seniors which has given our pound PUPPIES an incredable boost in adoptions. My new radio listings for the pound have helped a lot as well and for *now* the adoption demand is finally much, much better than before.

I was told she is 9 weeks old (I think, I'll have to do the math) - and it was said she be 12 weeks old on the 27th of August. She's a chunk but not too heavy. I've seen her on CL twice - once as a rehome and then listed as a rehome after the original (who in turn took her back in after the newest home fell through due to divorce).

My understanding is: she was part of a give away litter that someone took in - they gave her to their sister who decided she had too many dogs so she gave the pup to her niece... who posted her on CL, rehomed and then reclaimed her... and now she's here.

Her job will be a big one - she'll be "responsible" for the safety of my two small dogs (from thiefs and predators) when they are outside and I'm in the house away from the windows (so much for my pyr dreams, but the hair scareof the breed!) and she'll be my walking partner. Because I live alone she'll be great to have. My small dogs are great but my heart belongs to bigger breeds.

I'd love to get her into some advanced training later on, but for now I don't know her strengths and weaknesses and possible potential.

We'll just have to see as time goes on.

Bo B Bunny wrote:
ALSO: Most dogs who are Aussie or part Aussie have short or no tail......

Here are 2 deaf ACD/Lab mix dogs....

I used to work with Special Needs Aussie Placement in St Louis and have fostered several lethal whites ranging from partially to totally deaf and/or blind. It's a shame but they can be such wonderful, fully rounded dogs.

I absolutely see bluepit bull in her.Very adorable! And I ama supporter of pits. My mix, is the best dog I've ever owned. She looks like a sweey.:)I would count on her being somewhere around 60-70lbs full grown.

Aussie is used for the Australian Shepherd. That's what Sydney is.

A lot of "blue merle" type dogs have a tendency to be deaf also... I guess it runs in the "white" line or something.

Whatever she is, she's definitely precious! Webbed toes..... definitely some sort of retriever/water dog.....

Leaf wrote:
It's hard to tell what she is - the people areinsistant thatthe Mom was an Aussie but sometimes people confuse the term Aussie with a Blue Heeler or an Australian Shepherd...

"A lot of "blue merle" type dogs have a tendency to be deaf also... I guess it runs in the "white" line or something."

Bo, it doesn't run in the 'white', it's a gene that if both the bitch and sire have, it will make the baby deaf... It's more than one merle gene, I think. If you breed a merle male to a merle female, your chances of a deaf merle pup are VERY high. It has nothing to do with the white. :) I've got a blue merle Mini Aussie here who people swear is deaf, but I know when I say "Let's play agility!" she's hearing me 100%. She has too much white, and people tend to think that means shes deaf. Not only can the pups be born deaf, they can also so born blind, or with eye issues...

ETA: She also has one blue eye, so people think she's blind...

Hehe, sorry, Aussies and dogs are my things. :p

Latest posts

Back