I ran out of hay..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jasminebunny, here is some homework for you to do.
On a page, write down each of your pets names in columns. Then, in rows, write down how much hay each one needs per month, along with the cost. Then write down how much pellets they need along with the cost. Same for their veggies, bedding, etc. Also write down, (estimating from previous and current situation), the cost of vet bills. Double that vet amount just in the event something goes wrong.
In the end, tally up how much money you need at the end of each month. Then backtrack. Can you afford it? No? Let one go to a good home. Can you afford the rest? No? Let another go to a good home. Continue this.
Be honest in their amounts and requirements, and be honest about how much you can afford. Then, pick a day of the month - find out pet store opening and closing times. Ask your dad (or some adult) if they can take you at a specific time. Set your alarm, wake up on time! Take your allocated money and buy your supplies. While we all run out of things at some point, we do make an extra effort to get it immediately. You seem to be making no effort, other than making excuses and apologizing to us here.
My guess is that if you did not have so many mouths to feed, you wouldn't be out of hay, or losing track of things you need. Honestly, I'm sad that no-one around you has told you that what you are doing is careless and plain wrong.
If you give them away and take adequate care of the ones you have, you are doing the right thing. If you keep them simply because you love them, you are being irresponsible and selfish. This is what it means to care more about them than yourself. Simple as that.
Thank you!

Hey, I don’t know what kind of rabbits you breed but you should think of breeding rabbits as a business. I’m 14 and I run my holland lop Rabbitry. I really do my best to provide everything but sometimes I need some of my parents help. The best advice I can give you is to try to really turn this into a business. Take inventory of what supplies you have, start a savings account if you ever have money leftover from selling rabbits, I make about $800 a litter, and none of it goes to me. I currently have 1 litter every 6 months and it takes about $400 to feed and care for my buns for 6 months. The left over $400 goes into emergency savings. I LOVE having babies but I learned early on that it is very very hard. The first litter I ever had, 3 out of 4 babies got some sort of disease and we took them to the vet. There was nothing that we could have done to stop it but only 2 babies in the litter survived. The vet was expensive and that’s when I really knew that I would need to help run this. If you want any advice or just to talk about it, message me. I would be glad to work with you.

What about my bun who is pregnant right now?
What do your parent's think? I think it is great you are trying to be resourceful and trying the best you can. What are the reasons for having so many animals. Some of us just want to know. Are you doing okay? It is not clear to me 100% but are you struggling to care for the animals in anyway? Are you able to give the animals enough space? A clean environment? Healthy food? If caring for the animals is not working out...maybe contact a rescue and explain your situation. If not a rescue you could call animal control and talk to someone who works there. They might have connections, ideas or some help for your animals.

What do your parent's think? I think it is great you are trying to be resourceful and trying the best you can. What are the reasons for having so many animals. Some of us just want to know. Are you doing okay? It is not clear to me 100% but are you struggling to care for the animals in anyway? Are you able to give the animals enough space? A clean environment? Healthy food? If caring for the animals is not working out...maybe contact a rescue and explain your situation. If not a rescue you could call animal control and talk to someone who works there. They might have connections, ideas or some help for your animals.
I'm finding new homes , my rabbits are doing okay .
I'm keeping 3 of each pet .

Jasminebunny, here is some homework for you to do.
On a page, write down each of your pets names in columns. Then, in rows, write down how much hay each one needs per month, along with the cost. Then write down how much pellets they need along with the cost. Same for their veggies, bedding, etc. Also write down, (estimating from previous and current situation), the cost of vet bills. Double that vet amount just in the event something goes wrong.
In the end, tally up how much money you need at the end of each month. Then backtrack. Can you afford it? No? Let one go to a good home. Can you afford the rest? No? Let another go to a good home. Continue this.
Be honest in their amounts and requirements, and be honest about how much you can afford. Then, pick a day of the month - find out pet store opening and closing times. Ask your dad (or some adult) if they can take you at a specific time. Set your alarm, wake up on time! Take your allocated money and buy your supplies. While we all run out of things at some point, we do make an extra effort to get it immediately. You seem to be making no effort, other than making excuses and apologizing to us here.
My guess is that if you did not have so many mouths to feed, you wouldn't be out of hay, or losing track of things you need. Honestly, I'm sad that no-one around you has told you that what you are doing is careless and plain wrong.
If you give them away and take adequate care of the ones you have, you are doing the right thing. If you keep them simply because you love them, you are being irresponsible and selfish. This is what it means to care more about them than yourself. Simple as that.

I agree with this, especially the second-to-last sentence, "If you keep them simply because you love them, you are being irresponsible and selfish". You should keep your rabbits if you know exactly how to take care of them, can spend time with them, and have the funds. Sometimes it's hard to let a pet you love go, but if you truly love them, then you should know that sometimes you have to give them to someone who is in a better position to care for them.

Some .. maybe
Mh , not really .
I'm so happy now , its like i can finaly breathe , its so tricky to care for them all!
Sorry , i mean .. it was kind of upsetting i guess , but its whats the best for them .
Also.. not all the pets are really mine , they are my families , i own 3 pets in total , of mine own .

Hey, I don’t know what kind of rabbits you breed but you should think of breeding rabbits as a business. I’m 14 and I run my holland lop Rabbitry. I really do my best to provide everything but sometimes I need some of my parents help. The best advice I can give you is to try to really turn this into a business. Take inventory of what supplies you have, start a savings account if you ever have money leftover from selling rabbits, I make about $800 a litter, and none of it goes to me. I currently have 1 litter every 6 months and it takes about $400 to feed and care for my buns for 6 months. The left over $400 goes into emergency savings. I LOVE having babies but I learned early on that it is very very hard. The first litter I ever had, 3 out of 4 babies got some sort of disease and we took them to the vet. There was nothing that we could have done to stop it but only 2 babies in the litter survived. The vet was expensive and that’s when I really knew that I would need to help run this. If you want any advice or just to talk about it, message me. I would be glad to work with you.
If you read through the thread, you’ll realize this isn’t great advice for jasminebunny although it’s very sweet of you to take the time to write up such a nice post. Wishing you best of luck!

Back