I picked up Sophie!!!

• Thread starter Sophie's Humble Servant
  • Start date
Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Sophie's Humble Servant

Hi all,

I honestly didn't think this day would come so soon but I finally picked up Sophie!

Today was her nail snipping appointment and while the tech was handling her I asked her if I could pay her to come to my house and teach me how to pick up Sophie.

She said that she could just show me at the clinic. So I watched how she did it first, then she showed me where to place my hands and how to football her and have her head in the crook of my arm so that her eyes are covered. And I did it! Sophie was so good she didn't even struggle at all for me!

Aww, I'm so happy and proud of myself that I could do it. I picked her up twice and she also showed me how to properly put her back down so that she doesn't kick and hurt herself.

I am so relieved and really surprised at how easy it was to learn when there is someone competent there to show you and guide your movements.

I had watched tons of videos online and read how to do it but I just couldn't manage it, I was wayyyy too nervous and had no confidence.

Anyone having issues picking up their rabbit I would highly recommend hands on training from a person with lots of experience! Honestly, if I can do it, anyone can:)

Yippee!!

:woohoo
You should do a video of it and post it up for the rest of us in the same position as you were!

Congratulations & I second Whiskylollipop's suggestion of your doing a video to show us how to do it!

So happy for you! I've been struggling to pick up my bunny too, and I would LOVE to see your video!

That's how I learned. Just couldn't afford it with 17 bunnies, so I asked when I was there for a well check and the tech took me thru it. Now, my son holds and I clip as some of mine are on the larger size and are hard to hold in with only one arm.

Yoh that would get expensive with 17 bunnies!! I think I'm still going to take her in to get nail trims for now but as soon as I master picking her up, learning how to nail snip will be next!

Well so much for trying that again:(
I tried to pick Sophie up at home, I just can't do it, what a disappointment. All I accomplished was making her really scared and I'm just covered in fur. Boo.

I think she was cooperative at the clinic because she was petrified. At home she just struggles like crazy and I can't get a grip on her. Frick.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm in the same boat with Aria. Everyone else has no problem handling her, but I can't do it at all. I know I should practice, but our life together is already pretty much perfect, so it's hard to get motivated to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

Yeah it really sucks! I'm going to keep trying but I think I have to start from basics again, rather than just trying to grab her. She's much more unwilling to be handled at home. I did the exact same thing as when I was at the clinic but she fought it tooth and nail. Oh well, back to the beginning. Y'know what really irks me? All these YouTube videos of people showing how easy it is to pick up their rabbit at home. Yeah well that's because their rabbit already doesn't mind it. Lol. It reminds me of reality tv that's been scripted.

Zero has been handled since he was seven days old and he is still tricky to pick up and put down just be patient with yourself and with Sophie.

Latest posts

Back