i need this answered asap, need it for tomorrow (sunday)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thatcrazybunny

Reaction score
can you safely house a salamander and a newt together? i'm asking for a friend, not to mention that i'm half interested in getting one or the other, but as for right now, my friend is asking me if it would be safe to house a newt that he has as well as a salamander that he has together to save space??

as well, i'm looking for any and all info on these creatures. if you have any links, that would be greatly appreciated!!

What kind of newt and salamander?

But its not really a good idea. Depending on what species they are, they most likely have different care(food, environment,feeding habits, aggression levels etc). Also some species are toxic and shouldn't be mixed with other species. Or depending on the sizes, they could hurt or try to eat each other.

You need to find out what species they are for us to give you the right care instructions for them.

I wouldn't do it, Valerie makes a good point.
I used to have two newts when I was younger =P

Salamanders are generally solitary animals, I wouldn't house them together.

Actually I'm not a fan of mixing any species (cage type animals) obviously cats and dogs are fine.

i just got this really big idea that i want to do. i eventually want to get one of these or a couple of frogs, and i'm thinking a half and half tank is great, though i want this well established before i do get any aquatics. do any of you have pics of half and half tanks that would be easy to set up? i'm planning on a 50 gallon, and it has to have an under-gravel filter or another idea that wouldn't require the water to fall into the tank so loud (boyfriend cant sleep with the sound of water falling).

A tank that is half land/ half water is called a paludarium. I love them and have had a couple over the years. One had newts, one had crabs and one had mudskippers

For a filter I wouldn't recommend a under gravel filter. An internal filter is better. Something like a sponge filter powered by a powerhead, or one of those little in tank filters(basically a powerhead/sponge combo but premade). They are easier to keep clean and work better then a UG filter. A canister filter can also be used but is much more expensive.

make sure you do some major research if your going to do half water/half land. ive seen some beautiful ones with exotic snakes and angelfish or bettas-would require a large tank.

but make sure you know what your using so nothing rots or anthing like that.

fuzz16 wrote:
make sure you do some major research if your going to do half water/half land. ive seen some beautiful ones with exotic snakes and angelfish or bettas-would require a large tank.

but make sure you know what your using so nothing rots or anthing like that.
And make sure nothing eats each other, or is poisonous to other species.

With a paludarium it can be hard to get the ecosystem right. Usually its easier to stick with one species(usually an amphibian, reptile, or invert) and then the fish are aren't the main focus and are acceptable if used as a food source, which mostly like will happen unless your fish are big and the tank is large.

Or if you want to focus on fish i've done paludariums that were mostly water, but that were only half filled and the plants/driftwood came out the top. I didn't have any amphibians,or reptiles, just fish and some aquatic inverts(snails, shrimp). This type of setup also works well for aquatic newts or aquatic crabs. Just make sure there is enough driftwood/rocks/plants sticking out for the animals to get out of the water if they want to. But then in that case the fish would be possible feeders to the animals.

There is TONS of sites about paludariums out there and a LOT to learn before building a nice one. Research, research, research!

yea, after a lot of research i'm planning on getting just one salamander. it'll be in a 35 gallon tank and i want to do all natural decor, so all live plants, moss and so on. no fish if i can help it. or if later i end up putting in fish it would just be maybe a goldfish or 2, or some of those really nice tetras, not sure, i'll research then though, for now it's a no.

Latest posts

Back