I need some simple recipe/ food ideas

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leaf

Reaction score
I was TOLD that my niece's 1st birthday party will be at my house.

I don't cook. I have a small kitchen. It's hardly stocked at all because I pretty much survive on frozen dinners, some MREs, bought veggies and fruits as needed.

At first it was just to be my SIL, brother, Susanna (niece), Dad and Stephanie's (SIL) parents.

Stephanie called today to let me know there was an "overwhelming response" to the birthday announcement at Susanna's daycare (that is provided by their workplace) so now she's not sure how many other couples and young children will be coming over.

Great. I thought this was my house and my life... ;)

Anyhow, I'm all busy this weekend scrubbing the house from top to bottom (I suggest freecycle, it works wonders for clutter) and it just dawned on me that people will probably want to *eat*.

Typical family gatherings tend to gear towards alcohol but in this situation I'm not providing anything and already set my foot down at anyone bringing anything of that nature. Sorry - but if everyone has kiddos to take home later....

So now I need some finger food/snack and maybe a simple meal (?) idea that would be acceptable for adults and children alike.

I don't want to spend a lot of time preparing anything - I've even thought of contacting a small catering service but I don't know what to begin thinking of having.

Any ideas? I really need a stocked and ready to go kitchen by Sunday the 26th! I don't even know what children even eat. Don't they choke on hotdogs?

Well since the kid is only going to be one then your going to have to provide very simple food for the babies and some other finger food for the adults. Finger food is the best at parties, no need to go crazy with a big meal.

For the babies

Small triangle sandwiches with a little bit of cheese or cheese spread is the best, make them really small because a one year old will mostly just smush it in there hands, very little of it would be actually eaten.

Baby biscuits, you should be able to get these in the baby section at your shopping centre, least you can here.

We have chips/crisps/taytos here called snax that are very soft and dissolve in your mouth if you suck them, they are suitable for babies, get some packs of them and put them on the table so they can eat them one by one.

Some bananas chopped up are great too.

Cake, pick a really soft sponge cake with maybe a little jam in the middle.

Adults

Chips/fries

Sausages

Chicken, drumsticks or nuggets

Salad

Sandwiches with more adult fillings

Maybe some pasta if you wanted aswell.

poor you. personally i would instantly disown my family if they did that to me! havinghad two kids the food will be smeared everywhere but in the mouth. what about rice salad, really nice breadand whatever party food your local supermarket has. here, everyone has their own version of party food. invest in some disposable plates - no washing up.

im probably coming across as a complete :censored2:but i would tell them that they can all bring a dish of food each. chances are you'll get one little brat whose mummy thinks they are a fussy eater/vegan/vegetarian/organic etc so i would push for them to bring their own food. that way you can avoid the 'oh she/he cant eat...' and theres the child whose allergic to certain products.

im actually a nice person who is a leader with girlguiding - we do at least one party a year and experience has taught me that it's easier to get the parents to bring a dish to the table.:biggrin2:

I'd check for what they want - just cake and ice cream might do the trick.

Otherwise, you could do some *snacky* type things. My kids used to love little slices of boiled ham rolled up with cream cheese spread on it.

Tiny party cheeses with crackers

veggie tray and dip...

Order a couple of pizzas.

5 for 5 at dominos. You can never go wrong with pizza. 1 cheese 1 peperonie 1 canadian bacon 1 more cheese and one pick a topping light tomoto sause.

I throw every party for my nieces and you can never go wrong with pizza. even at one they can be cut up for them to not eat pretty much. I never think about adult to be honest. The party is for the kids. if there is enough we eat if not the kids eat.

And buy some pop some juice and some water 35 bucks you have a party with food.

Mom and dad should be supplying the cake in my oppion.

That what i would do take a nother ten go buy a few birthday plates and a bunch of bolloons they are a huge play toy at one. go to the dollar store buy some of those small party bags and a few things to go in them your set.

50bucks and you have party that can be fun. Everyone ask how I do it the pizza is the secret. My nieces mom gave me 100 pbucks for the party I made a 50 buvk profit I tried to give it back but she said keep it.

You have to havea radio put it on radio disney your set

At one they really cant plays game so dont try a hole bunch of games. remeber there only one they will find playing with each other more fun then anything else. If you dont have babys gates buy one wal mart 15 bucks to keep them out of roomd you dont want them in.

Hope that helps

Premade veggie and fruit trays. They also sell premade cheese and cracker trays.They're pretty easy to do yourself too. Kids love fruit - especially watermelon, strawberries and bananas (which you would have to slice immediately before serving and maybe treat with lemon juice to keep them from browning).

If they expect "real" food instead of just snacks, I agree that Pizza is a great choice - everyone likes it and you can get several different kinds - cheese for kids, meat for some and veggie for others. Good luck - hopefully they will just want cake and ice cream:)

Cubes of cheese and crackers will be good for parents and the little ones. A veggie tray and fruit tray like someone has already suggested and some sandwiches cut at a diagonal twice this makes them good sizes for babies and adults. Nothing will go to waste if they are fourthed into little triangles. I would do tuna, pimento cheese, and ham and cheese. Hope this helps!

Thank you guys so much!

This week has been pretty intense with work and cleaning the house. Everything has been all crammed here so I actually ended up taking half a vacation day today - I got off work at 10:30am, stopped at Lowes for a few household things I needed and was back home by 11:30am.

While I did get some work done, can you believe I layed down for a 3 hour nap? I'm still foggy from it since I got up not too long ago, but boy do I feel refreshed!

I'll do the final touches to the house tomorrow and then plan on having a good time Sunday, one way or another.

I cleaned house for a week, had the carpet cleaned today, went shopping and bought tons of food.

The new plan?

We're going to Joe's Crab Shack to eat tomorrow.

No party here.

Jessica, will you be able to use up all the food? Sorry you went to so much trouble just to not even have the party at your place! At least you got your house nice and clean, right? What a waste of time though. You're nicer than I am, I would have told them at the beginning that they couldn't have the party at my house or at least that they had to provide everything.

No, I can't eat up all the food without some of it going bad. I'm having surgery on my hand tomorrow so I'm not even going to be home right off the bat.

Next town over there is a homeless shelter so I called and they said they'd take the food. I'm actually about ready to head down there with some of the food. The rest I'll just take over to Dan's house since I'll be staying with him for the next couple of days until my hand gets a bit mobile.

Ouch, I hope the surgery goes okay! That's sweet of you to think to donate the food so it doesn't go bad. How was the party at Joe's Crab Shack?

The Crab Shack we were going to go to was closed down, so we went to a different place but I forgot what it was called. They make butter fried burgers - I wasnt real impressed.

Susanna was grumpy and cried a lot. We ate inside then went outside to the patio area and talked a lot even though it was real windy.

My brother and sister in law had a suprise for us - their real estate agent met us there and they signed for a house they are buying. They should be ok'd to move in on the 22nd unless the seller backs out.

Im going to try to get some pics on here if my camera still works. It blew off the table a few times and Susanna kicked it off once, so its crashed onto the concrete several times today.

Latest posts

Back