I need some help with my foster bun- RIP Simon

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haley

Reaction score
I got back from Chicago last night and got a call from a vet from the local humane society asking if I could foster a boy bunny. The HS has no clue what to do with him and had him on cat litter and no hay.

He was neutered last week but pulled up one of his testicles during the surgery. Rather than go in through the stomach (their vet isnt too experienced with bunnies) they took him off anesthesia with only one testicle done. So he has to wait afew weeks to go back in. He had also pretty much stopped eating and pooping.

I got him last night and hes so sweet. His bottom smelled awful though and had poop/cat litter all stuck to it. I tried to get him cleaned off, but the smell is still awful. And theres a little clear/whitish discharge coming from the top of one of the testicles (I think its the one still intact).

I called the vet who brought him over and shes going to bring some baytril and silvadine over tonight.

Im very sick today and am trying my best, but not sure what to do with him. Hes not eating and just had some tiny tiny string of poops come out. His belly is hard in a straight line up the middle of his stomach- could this be from an infection in the testicles?

I gave him some gas meds and pain meds for now.I was going to start syringing a pellet slurry butIm worried bc his belly is hard like that.

Thoughts?

Wow okay wow. I don't enjoy critisizing vets but that was just stupid.

It very well *could* be an infection. Lord only knows what he cut and didn't know it if he didn't know that you just go in through the stomach...

It *almost* sounds like it could be wicking...out of curiosity, what kind of suture did he use? What color are the stitches, rather? Do you know if they're the absorbable, the ones that have to be removed, etc?

I know you're sick today, but honestly the neuter may have to be completed before a few weeks' time, maybe sometime within the next week can you get him to a bunny-saavy vet?

Aw, Haley. :( Does the little guy have a name? I don't have any advice to offer, but I know he's in good hands with you! I hope youboth feel better soon! :hug1

Sounds like he needs pumpkin, and if you can get to it - a butt bath! I just put warm water in a sink and put Bo's butt in it when he got bad. He might have injested some of that cat litter since it's on him. If you could soak that off it would be a big help to him!

Do you have Vick's rub or anything else that has a strong smell like that? You could even put a bit of icy hot on a bandana and wrap it (with the icy hot to the outside) around your nose... that might help you deal with the smell.

Thanks guys :hug:

I cant see any stitches so I assume theyre dissolvable.

I spoke with Dominique and she thinks I should start PenG injections bc it sounds like maybe the testicles are infeted and its sort of branching up the stomach (like maybe abscess tenticles). Im going to start the injections and keep him on Metacam.

Im also going to syringe him some food for now. And I think Thursday morning I will have time to get him down to the rescues vet. Poor little guy.

Ah, absorables, that's what I thought...

It sounds like wicking, or an infection. "Wicking" is capillary action, or the ability to pull the infection into the abdomen. It tends to happen with absorbable stitches, which is why most use nylon for external stitches. They can *technically* get peritonitis, and that isn't something I'd want to fool around with.

PenG or some other antibiotic sounds very smart.

I'd lay easy on the Metacam. Even though it's used so readily, remember that it has side effects. If it's peritonitis, that can spread everywhere. And if he's on something that will compromise those organs, that can be bad. So if it were me, I would be extra cautious and only give if it's absolutely necessary. I know, I hate for them to be in pain, too...but you really don't want to compromise anything more than you have to. Or, the Metacam could upset the stomach. So really, unless it's totally needed, I'd lay off of it until he can be assessed by the vet.

Thanks Ivory, your help really means a lot. This is way over my head.

I will hold off on Metacam unless I see him really grinding in pain or something. So for now I'll just do Bicillin and silvadine on the infection site. Im also syringing food.

Ive decided to just teach a half day tomorrow and, even though I feel miserable, drive him down to the vet the shelter uses an hour away. We have an appt at345 and this vet is wonderful.

I just couldnt live with myself if I waited too long and he didnt make it.

PS. Ive named him "Simon" hes an adorable agouti dutch. :biggrin2:

Poor little boy. They really did a job on him. Make sure you tell the vet about the cat litter so he knows to check for intestinal issues.

Is he drinking? If not, can you do sub-q fluids, or if not do oral fluids. If you have anything for a heating pad that would be great. Especially if it's something he can lie on top of so it warms up the infected area. That will help increase blood flow which will help with healing.

Keep us updated!

Hi Haley,

Hope you start feeling better. I agree with Ivory on the metacam. I have long preached that it is not the totally safe drug that it is reputed to be. I prefer to use buprenex but it can slow the gut a bit....and it is a controlled substance. I do have a nice alternatvie...but it has to be compounded...and that is tramdol. It is not a controlled drug and much easier to acquire. I have never had any real bad experiences with it so far anyway. It should be compounded at a very precise concentration....PM me if you can decide to try to get some and I can give you the formula.

I would put him on an antibiotic...I am more partial to Pen G. If you use Baytril, sub-q for better results. That will also be much easier on what appears to be a messed up gut already. And I think I would pop him with about an 8% hydration sub-q before I worried too much about the food. Then back it off to 5% each day until things get better. Silvadiine is good....Tritop is better. It has several beneficial qualities that SSD lacks. It has antibiotics and pain meds in the ointment. The only real drawback to Tritop is it does contain a steroid but this is a case where you weigh the risks against the benefits....if I remember correctly. Here is a link to read more about it.

http://www.pfizerah.com/product_overview.asp?drug=TR&country=US&lang=EN&species=CN

And a testicle retracting during surgery. Yikes...that means he was not asleep during the procedure. This is not the first time I have heard of this from non-rabbit savvy vets. And stitches? In all my rabbits I have had...I have only had one external stitch in any of my rabbits. And that was for one of those wart type things.

We all know this little guy is in good hands. We're behind you.

Randy

Randy, isn't it common that a non-rabbit-savvy vet wouldn't know that they need a bit more anesthesia? Isn't that the case? and if they have them on their backs....... wouldn't they trance and the vet wouldn't notice?

I'm sort of thinking out loud here ....

*tempted to mail some of my own Tramadol to Haley*

Mmm, good stuff! My vet was concerned that it might slow the gut also, has this not been a problem for you Randy?

ra7751 wrote:
And a testicle retracting during surgery. Yikes...that means he was not asleep during the procedure. This is not the first time I have heard of this from non-rabbit savvy vets.
I don't want to nitpick, but we don't know that he wasn't fully under, because that technically isn't always true. He may not have been fully "asleep", but he wasn't "awake", either. You can give the exact amount of anesthesia, and then some, and some rabbits will still retract a testicle, or twitch, particularly when you clamp the spermatic cords.

Their reflexes are just very keen and when you start fooling with the testicles, which are a very sensitive area, it tends to stimulate them faster. Not to mention they metabolize it faster than the speed of light.

So was he truly conscious? No, he was probably floating somewhere between Jupiter and Saturn and doesn't remember a thing. Remember that the reflexes not being completely dulled and feeling pain are two different things.

Usually if a testicle retracts during surgery and the rabbit can't be given any more medicine, one can try massaging to get the testicle to come back out before going in and above. Also, if the rabbit is more developed it's possible to reach in normally and grab the testicle if it's close enough.

Aww, hi, Simon! :wave: The rescue's vet -- so is that Dr. Hynes? I'm hoping for the best! :bestwishes:

Actually theyre using a new (and cheaper vet) for a lot of things- her name is Dr. Cavender and shes at Salem Vet Clinic on 6 mile. Shes awesome and since she owns her own practice shes more willing to cut costs for the rescue.

And re: the testicle, I was thinking that it might not have been descended at all. I dont know if the vet even really checked until he was under. That happened with Max 2.0, he had one undescended.

Im really hoping she can help him today so I dont have to make two trips.

Oh, and he looks just like Wash ;)

Cheaper? *ears perk up* That's good to know and that's really great that she's working with the rescue like that! I just looked them up: they're only 20 minutes away from us! :)

Just checking in Haley after a week's time away.

** Sending you support wishes for your sick little guy and cyber healing vibes. Whenever I read how much you do I am continually astounded for your caring heart. Thanks to every human who lends advice on med issues we aren't well-versed on.

Healing stamina & energy flowing your way, hope your little boy will pull through okay.

Thanks Julie. I try but sometimes its just so overwhelming. I guess we just have to take it one at a time.

I just got home from the vets and theyre keeping him there for now. Dr. Cavender was shocked at how bad he looked. She wanted to get him on an IV of antibiotics and fluids and get some food into him over the next 24 hours or so. She wanted him feeling a little better before she would operate. Then she has to go in through his stomach and try to correct all this mess.

Poor little guy. He must be so scared. Luckily I had taken his cage (a nice roomy one) in case someone from the rescue had to keep him overnight, so they were able to set it up at the vets office for him so he felt more at home.

Im just praying he pulls through. Im worried sick about the little man.

Bunnies526.jpg

-Haley

Latest posts

Back