I Need Help :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwolfec

Reaction score
Ok, so Pip and Big Bunny have been bonded for awhile and we flew across the world to get home to Georgia and they have been fine ever since. They have never fought. Ever.

Until today....

The WORST fight broke out between the two boys this morning. I heard a scuffle under the bed, and didn't think anything of it, but then it didn't stop! I got bitten like 3 times trying to get them apart! And then once I separated them, they kept running back to each other and kept on going. And the biting! UGH.

So, what's the deal???? Why are they fighting all of a sudden?? I didn't change anything about their routine, and I never saw who started it. The only thing is that I think Pip may have a UTI...

Oh noooooo so sorry this happened :(

It's one of my fears.

So neither one of them smell different or have a new smell to them?? They weren't split up at all or taken to the vet?

Maybe imbrium may have some suggestions. Her two girls started scuffles after they were spayed. What you might have to do is just go back to square one and seperate them for awhile and start brief dates again til they are fine.

I also read, not sure if this is even true or not, that the same sex bonds are the ones that can have a "falling out" easier than the m/f bonds. Maybe google some things and see if any help comes up.

UHg, not sure I was much of a help but I am sure bummed this is happening for you :( like I said, it's something I worry about too.

Keep us updated!

:(

I went back to the basics, but my girls are still getting into scuffles. Nala will nip Gaz for no reason and Gaz sometimes freaks out about it. I leave 'em together 'cause no one's getting hurt, but I can't really say the bond is back to where it was before their spays.

neutral territory may help, though - it made the difference with mine to where Gaz wasn't terrified of Nala any more.

I found these two bits of info pertinent to you:::

Occasionally a bonded pair will suddenly start fighting for no obvious reason. In these circumstances it is advisable to have both rabbits checked over by an experienced vet as ill health in one or both can often trigger this behaviour. I have seen several situations where one rabbit has been going through the onset of gut stasis (mucoid enteropathy, not usually spotted by owners until advanced and too late to save the rabbit)and the change in his or her behaviour has been enough to enrage the partner and stimulate aggression.

Amd this::::

MALE/MALE
Generally speaking, this combination only works if the two males concerned have been brought up together and have a good relationship at the time of their castration. The neutering operations must take place as soon as the testicles descend, usually at about 3-4 months of age, and they should both be castrated on the same day and immediately placed back together again in their normal environment on their return. If it is cold and they have not completely recovered from the anaesthetic, both rabbits need to be brought inside overnight, even if only one of them is showing drowsiness.

Any fighting demonstrated prior to the operation will mean that the relationship is very unlikely to succeed long-term, and the rabbits should be separated prior to the castration operation and matched-up with a neutered female each instead. A word of caution: I have found from experience that two bonded males sometimes start fighting even after a few years have past, especially if moved to a new environment.

Source:

http://www.cottontails-rescue.org.uk/matchups.asp

Well crap you guys.

I am so disappointed. I hope their bond isn't broken...:(

I am thinking it has something to do with the fact that Pip is sick. He's been dribbling urine on his blanket since yesterday, and I am wondering if he smells different. But then I wonder if Big Bunny doesn't feel good because when he gets gas, sometimes he nips at Pip and is a grump....

Whatever the matter is, I'm gonna take them to the Vet in the morning. It looks like I'll have to take them in separate carriers.

:tears2:

cwolfec wrote:
Well crap you guys.

I am so disappointed. I hope their bond isn't broken...:(

I am thinking it has something to do with the fact that Pip is sick. He's been dribbling urine on his blanket since yesterday, and I am wondering if he smells different. But then I wonder if Big Bunny doesn't feel good because when he gets gas, sometimes he nips at Pip and is a grump....

Whatever the matter is, I'm gonna take them to the Vet in the morning. It looks like I'll have to take them in separate carriers.

:tears2:

I hope it isn't either!! Don't lose hope yet. Theres always a chance you can rebound.
Are you going to the vet alone? Because a scary car ride together could actually help maybe! If there is someone there to intervene if they fight.......
Let us know. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. I would hate this too :(

Took them to the Vet this morning and they both got a clean bill of health. No UTI. I almost wish that was it because then I would feel like that's why they fought. But I am glad they are healthy.

And FAT! Big Bunny weighed in at 4.5lbs and Pip was 4.3lbs.

They went in the same carrier (a new one, so a good neutral territory) and they were great. We'll see what happens.

Thanks for the responses everyone :)

Aww. I am so sorry to hear this. I would be so sad (and scared) if Harvey and Halo suddenly started fighting. I hope this is temporary...

Just curious...do they have any issues about one eating more than the other? Mine are not caged and share a spare bunny proof room. I feed them together and sometimes one will be eating faster than the other or taking food from the other's mounth. Though they seem fine with it now I wondered if this might cause problems between them in the future and I've sort of started to supervise feeding time more.:?

Curious on how cinnabun and pippy are doing? Any recent scuffles???

I hope not! :)

Latest posts

Back