I need help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
woahlookitsme wrote:
lol aw you could always shave it and not have to worry about the hair
could you show a shaved angora?

oh man i'd feel terrible having one in sydney, i'd have to keep him in a fridge or something. it's nearly 8 oclock at night and still 31 degrees celsius (89 degrees faranheit) *wipes sweat off brow*

maxysmummy wrote:
woahlookitsme wrote:
lol aw you could always shave it and not have to worry about the hair
could you show a shaved angora?

oh man i'd feel terrible having one in sydney, i'd have to keep him in a fridge or something. it's nearly 8 oclock at night and still 31 degrees celsius (89 degrees faranheit) *wipes sweat off brow*
You can't show them shaved because they are judged on their wool.

If you really want to know about grooming, talk to a breeder. They have to groom multiple rabbits every day.
It is very difficult to keep an angora in a show coat. You cannot cut any of the wool, so need to be able to keep the belly groomed as well. You can have a rabbit that you are planing on showing, and a week before the show they may stop eating or could go into a moult and you have to sheer them. The breeder I got Lillian from doesn't show anymore due to the amount of work involved.
If you only want to keep the rabbit for the wool and not show, then you can keep the belly short and grow out the wool on the back as that is what is really used.

You need to groom angoras at least once a week, more often for longer coats (over about 1 inch) and some individuals. If you don't keep up with it, you end up with a matted rabbit who is very uncomfortable, you can't use the wool and it won't do well in shows.
You should get a blower as that is what the vast majority of people use to groom the angoras. It is a good idea to have a separate place to groom as the danger and wool gets everywhere.

Angora rabbits are not for the faint hearted. They are wonderful rabbits, but require a lot of grooming and you need to monitor their diet. You need to know what you are getting into. Far too many want a nice fluffy rabbit, but don't realize the amount of grooming involved.

http://bettychuenglishangora.com/ This site has lots of good info on grooming, care and showing.

Latest posts

Back